ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi: SHU Out

It’s unconscionable that the conference only gets three teams in, but it’s looking more and more like that might actually happen. It’s not like it was even a down year for the conference. Crazy.

It’s unconscionable that the conference only gets three teams in, but it’s looking more and more like that might actually happen. It’s not like it was even a down year for the conference. Crazy.

It kind of was. One elite team, two excellent teams. A bunch of mediocrity in the middle and two awful teams at the back end.

Reactions: TomD82
Lunardi says this is by far the strongest Bubble in years. Add in at least 2 bid stealers (last year there were none) and its going to be diffixult to get in. There are going to be a lot of deserving teams left home.

In most years the Big East would have 6 teams in. SH, SJ and Providence are all deserving.
This is absolutely true and it's made even odder by the fact that there were few, if any, deserving mid-majors -- really only Indiana State is in the conversation.

Plus, just about everything that could have gone wrong for us has in the past few days. NC State winning the ACC, Colorado securing a bid out of the Pac-12 (plus Oregon if they win), New Mexico doing what it needed to do and then winning the MWC and more as well.

It's just our luck, the one year we're truly on the bubble and the conference tournaments go haywire. When all is said and done there will be four or five bids that get stolen.

Just wow. And Colorado losing.

Literally every single thing that needed to happen to keep us out has over the past 48 hours.

Looking back? Yes we could have done more, but just a total travesty what has happened here.

Reactions: pirate AI
This is absolutely true and it's made even odder by the fact that there were few, if any, deserving mid-majors -- really only Indiana State is in the conversation.

Plus, just about everything that could have gone wrong for us has in the past few days. NC State winning the ACC, Colorado securing a bid out of the Pac-12 (plus Oregon if they win), New Mexico doing what it needed to do and then winning the MWC and more as well.

It's just our luck, the one year we're truly on the bubble and the conference tournaments go haywire. When all is said and done there will be four or five bids that get stolen.
Yup. Oregon about to steal another one. BE could seriously only have 3 bids. Insane.

Having Michigan state in is garbage. Complete big 10 bias if so.

They have wins over Baylor and Illinois. 14 losses.

Not equal in strength to wins over UConn and Marquette.

Reactions: shupat08
A 20-12 record should be good enough for a Big East team but examine it closer. Eight of those loses were BLOW OUTS !! The ncaa supposedly looks at the whole body of work & that is a glaring negative mark. An automatic qualifier (conference tourney winner) could get away with that blemish but not with our resume.
If we do not get invited, there is nobody to blame but the staff and team itself. If a team like St John's gets in, I have a problem with that--

With the amount of bid stealers yesterday I’m not even sure a win over St John’s would have been enough. Tough break but that’s life on the bubble

Reactions: newshu1
With the amount of bid stealers yesterday I’m not even sure a win over St John’s would have been enough. Tough break but that’s life on the bubble
You may be right, but it would’ve solidified us over SJU and PC. Now it’s a toss up

I’ve resigned myself to us being in the NIT. I really hope UConn, Marquette or Creighton wins the championship. And I confess this is schadenfreude but god please don’t give the Johnnies a bid.

Reactions: Gohall129
Right now, you're banking on the eye test to put them over the top and in. The mediocre performance in OOC and the crazy conference tournaments are gonna keep them out. It is what it is. At this point, only 2 brackets have SHU in so unless Temple and a couple others are ruled ineligible, get your drinks ready for NIT bracketology... Which is also comical as the couple of those I've seen have SHU as the 3rd best Big East seed

Right now, you're banking on the eye test to put them over the top and in. The mediocre performance in OOC and the crazy conference tournaments are gonna keep them out. It is what it is. At this point, only 2 brackets have SHU in so unless Temple and a couple others are ruled ineligible, get your drinks ready for NIT bracketology... Which is also comical as the couple of those I've seen have SHU as the 3rd best Big East seed
Looks like more than 2 if you scroll across. Nonetheless, a lot less than it was yesterday.

Just have to leave it up to the committee and hopefully they see how the NET is manipulated by the football conferences.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
All you need to know about this year's bracket is that in Lunardi's (very) early Sunday update he projected the at-large cutoff to be a 10-seed. In other words, if you're the 43rd-best team according to the committee, you're going to the NIT.

That also means there are 26 automatic bids below that cut line. If that plays out, I believe that is the most since the First Four was established.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT