ADVERTISEMENT

Market Correction

shu09

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
That's what happened in Milwaukee tonight. The worst defensive team and worst rebounding team in the league held us to our season low point total and out-rebounded us.

With the deficits we've faced against all three of our Big East opponents before tonight, it was unlikely that we could pull off that stunt for a fourth consecutive time.

This team needs to realize it cannot play 20 minute games. It may have worked against Creighton, St. John's and Butler, but it won't work over the long haul. 40 minute efforts are required to win big in this league.

I’m not crediting Marquette on this one. We beat ourselves down into a deficit with sloppiness and lack of effort. Again. Marquette extended that deficit by sinking everything... easy to do when you know the game is on lock. Talking about the time of their big run. All started by sloppy turnover after play after turnover.

Marquette is good, but you can’t lose like this. It’s a pattern and habitual sloppiness. Luck ran out bigly

That was odd tonight. One team wanted it more and images above their numbers.

They were a desperate team at 1-3, we were content and at the end of a 5-day road trip.

Ridiculous performance.

That was odd tonight. One team wanted it more and images above their numbers.

They were a desperate team at 1-3, we were content and at the end of a 5-day road trip.

Ridiculous performance.

Edit: Marquette was 2-2 coming in.

Last edited:
I'm wrong. I think they were 2-2 off a loss coming into tonight, not 2-1 or 1-3, no?

So now they are 3-2.

Whatever their deal, they played much harder.

I'm wrong. I think they were 2-2 off a loss coming into tonight, not 2-1 or 1-3, no?

So now they are 3-2.

Whatever their deal, they played much harder.

My mistake. I forgot about their loss to Xavier. Guess I was in a mental funk just like the team LOL!

They definitely played harder. Clearly wanted it more. Our guys looked like they just wanted to go home and had no interest in being there. Sad.

The "volatility" on this board is incredible.

The hype cycle gets way ahead of itself (1989, final four, top 2-3 seed). Then disappointment inevitably sets in creating a panic.

Most of us know in our hearts that this is a good team with some meaningful structural holes (PG, defense) and a pair of as of yet uncorrected poor habits (focus, emotions).

Number 13 was way overvalued. This feels like 20ish "value."

If you held that view, you're not in the least surprised that we laid an egg tonight. We will be ok next week though.

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
i can understand where some posters feel there are a number of Armageddon opinions on the board. it is worth noting when the team actually gets beaten and when the team just plays incredibly awful. To me, it’s the effort level. I don’t mind getting beaten or losing tough ones, but it’s troubling when we don’t learn from mistakes in the past and that was evident tonight (tossing up shots early in the shot clock, no boxing out, not getting to loose balls, hoping the opponent missed shots, etc. Rutgers game 2.0). What’s most troubling is that it tends to be systemic—when the seniors don’t hustle and play hard, the underclassmen feel it’s okay to get throttled.

i can understand where some posters feel there are a number of Armageddon opinions on the board. it is worth noting when the team actually gets beaten and when the team just plays incredibly awful. To me, it’s the effort level. I don’t mind getting beaten or losing tough ones, but it’s troubling when we don’t learn from mistakes in the past and that was evident tonight (tossing up shots early in the shot clock, no boxing out, not getting to loose balls, hoping the opponent missed shots, etc. Rutgers game 2.0). What’s most troubling is that it tends to be systemic—when the seniors don’t hustle and play hard, the underclassmen feel it’s okay to get throttled.

Completely agreed. It's actually a Willard signature over the years. Uneven effort, especially when the team gets some good vibes going. Undisciplined.

The sky isn't falling, but this is definitely not a good sign.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
This is a good Seton Hall team. But it’s a team that must play hard every game. I agree with another poster that the effort reminded me of the RU game. How could they outrebound the Hall? Well that was all about effort.

I also don’t understand the game plan. Our advantage was our front court. Why didn’t the offense run through Delgado? Why did we continue to chuck up three pointer after three pointer? I actually kind of expected a loss but not the performance.

Reactions: Flnj86
I’m not crediting Marquette on this one. We beat ourselves down into a deficit with sloppiness and lack of effort. Again. Marquette extended that deficit by sinking everything... easy to do when you know the game is on lock. Talking about the time of their big run. All started by sloppy turnover after play after turnover.

Marquette is good, but you can’t lose like this. It’s a pattern and habitual sloppiness. Luck ran out bigly

I agree with you for the most part. The only part I disagree with is you can't lose like this, it happens to all good teams. Sometimes the blowout loss is better than the nail biter loss. 14 of the 18 times we step on the court in big east play, we are the better team. It's up to us prove that. Unfortunately we are not proving it for the most part. I pointed out yesterday we were extremely fortunate to be 3-0 overcoming 2 big deficits to good teams and surviving the last place team. The good news is we are 3-1 despite not even playing close to our potential. The bad news is we have to get to our potential. The more we win, the more time it buys us to get there. But there needs to be a sense of urgency to get there regardless. We haven't established an identity on either side of the court and we must if we want to win in March.

We just got whupped last night by a good but very hot team: period. Any team in the league could have a night like Marquette had.

We seemed poorly prepared.

Powell looked sicker than he did on Sat.

Is Walker still in the dog house?

Have always said if Ish and Nzei can score fifteen we are in great shape! Well....

They definitely played harder. Clearly wanted it more. Our guys looked like they just wanted to go home and had no interest in being there. Sad.
I agree. The team just simply stunk last night. All their weaknesses just seemed to be magnified for a night. I can live with one or two performances like this each season. Really hope they come back strong against Gtown.

What's also sad is how utterly useless our bench has been. Other than Ish subbing for Nzei and vice versa we are getting very, very little from the freshmen. Some good defense from Cale is about the only net contribution from them.

This was RU Part Deux.

Huh? Last night's game had no resemblance to the Rutgers game at all. We outplayed Rutgers for 35 minutes and had an epic meltdown in the last five.

Marquette outplayed us for 40 minutes last night (35 if you want me to be very generous). It was a rout.

Some of you need to take a deep breath. Did you think we were going 9-0 on the road in conference? The team was not poorly prepared, they were simply outplayed after a really tough road win on Saturday.

Reactions: Burnsly
We spend too much time on the court underperforming. We are lucky we escaped in the other games. We too infrequently play as well as we can.

This!!!

Put expectations aside for a second. When I watch us play, I see this far too often.

You can gauge us by defense. When we're into it, it's ively. When we're just hanging out trying to outscore teams, it's passive.

It as a lousy performance but

1. Marquette has been shooting lights out the past few games. I would put them in 5th place ahead of Butler and Providence.
2. Our guys were gassed after Butler where our top 3 played 38+ plus minutes.
3. Is Powell really at full strength?
4. Physically most demanding road trip, 5 days in the Midwest, a long way from home.

Put those things together and we got a lousy game. But we got the split that we needed on this trip. Let’s see how they come out on Saturday.

Reactions: halltheway
This!!!

Put expectations aside for a second. When I watch us play, I see this far too often.

You can gauge us by defense. When we're into it, it's ively. When we're just hanging out trying to outscore teams, it's passive.
all of you guys 100% correct. hate how posters try to get on everyone's case about complaining over a loss. "unreasonable fans think we should win every game!"

its not the win or loss that anybody cares about

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT