ADVERTISEMENT

May Tweets

Watching Josh Hart play at MSG I get flashbacks of Desi standing looking the basket as Hart jumped past him for the OR, put back and seal the W in 2017 semis.
and that's your all time favorite at MSG?

He didn't realize about the change in rules that year. There was no longer a five second court if you had possession. But that only mattered if you were dribbling. Pick up the ball and the 5 second count started and that's what happened.

Reactions: PiratePride
Knicks no doubt would have had a better record with Randle but there's no question that the excellent ball movement, O rebounds & Brunson's ridiculous stats would have been negated against Philly with Randle on the floor. Based on Randle's playoff performance last year I'm just not sure how much better they'd be with him in the playoffs this year but they'll eventually run out of gas with a 7 man rotation.

Randle was injured last season in the playoffs. This year until he was injured again he was having (and voted) an All Star year.

Can’t beat the Celts without Randle, assuming they get past the Pacers.

Randle averaged 37 mpg in the 2nd round after missing game 1. Granted he wasn't 100% but who is this time of year.

I remember seeing Walt, Earl, Willis, Jerry, Dave, Dean etc. in person. Walt is one of my favorite players.
Loved the Knicks of that era. 69 & 70 I was doing my part in keeping us safe from Communism and missed much of those two seasons. Don't feel too sorry for me though. In May of 70 I was passing through San Diego on my way to two years in Hawaii. Got in touch with a New York classmate of mine and we watched game 7 in a bar south of San Diego. Of course we were the only two guys in the bar screaming our heads off when Willis made his dramatic entry onto the Garden floor. I'll never forget it. I was probably drinking a Corona..... one of many Coronas that night.

Years later, I was playing in an over 50 hoops league out of Scotch Plains the year of the NBA 50th anniversary celebration. Part of the NBA celebration was a basketball game featuring some of the 50 best NBA players who were being honored. Earl Monroe, one of those 50, was coming off of a hip operation and wanted to test out his new hip in a live game before hand. He showed up one Tuesday night and was playing on a team that needed an extra player. I had just finished playing an entire game but when I saw it was Earl the Pearl on that team my hand shot up immediately...me.... me... I'll play. He could still move better than any of us over 50 "ham and eggers" ... I was like 51 or so. As I tell the story over the years, my mind's eye sees me making a behind the back pass to the Pearl on a give and go and taking the return pass for a back door bucket. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Just wish that I had a camera (it was pre-smart phone days if I recall) to memorialize my game with Earl Monroe.

Loved the Knicks of that era. 69 & 70 I was doing my part in keeping us safe from Communism and missed much of those two seasons. Don't feel too sorry for me though. In May of 70 I was passing through San Diego on my way to two years in Hawaii. Got in touch with a New York classmate of mine and we watched game 7 in a bar south of San Diego. Of course we were the only two guys in the bar screaming our heads off when Willis made his dramatic entry onto the Garden floor. I'll never forget it. I was probably drinking a Corona..... one of many Coronas that night.

Years later, I was playing in an over 50 hoops league out of Scotch Plains the year of the NBA 50th anniversary celebration. Part of the NBA celebration was a basketball game featuring some of the 50 best NBA players who were being honored. Earl Monroe, one of those 50, was coming off of a hip operation and wanted to test out his new hip in a live game before hand. He showed up one Tuesday night and was playing on a team that needed an extra player. I had just finished playing an entire game but when I saw it was Earl the Pearl on that team my hand shot up immediately...me.... me... I'll play. He could still move better than any of us over 50 "ham and eggers" ... I was like 51 or so. As I tell the story over the years, my mind's eye sees me making a behind the back pass to the Pearl on a give and go and taking the return pass for a back door bucket. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Just wish that I had a camera (it was pre-smart phone days if I recall) to memorialize my game with Earl Monroe.
your post was amazing and worth ten times more than the rivals cost of admission.. Cheers to you and your family

I was working when I met one of the scouts for the NY Mets. He played in HS with Earl Monroe in Philadelphia, told me the Pearl played C on his HS team.

• Wow
Reactions: silkcitypirate
I was working when I met one of the scouts for the NY Mets. He played in HS with Earl Monroe in Philadelphia, told me the Pearl played C on his HS team.
is there anyone who did not love the Pearl, when the Knicks got him from the Bullets,,, oh man was I a happy kid. Call me wrong but I saw a lot of the Pearl in Kadary

Earl was awesome. And no two excellent teams ever matched up better than the knicks and bullets of that era
Willis and unseld
Gus johnson and dave db
Marin and bradley
Clyde and pearl
K loughery and Barnett

Great stories of him as a kid, same kind as his namesake pearl washington

Earl was awesome. And no two excellent teams ever matched up better than the knicks and bullets of that era
Willis and unseld
Gus johnson and dave db
Marin and bradley
Clyde and pearl
K loughery and Barnett

Great stories of him as a kid, same kind as his namesake pearl washington
Great matchups and an incredibly physical game every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT