ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis, Tulane, USF, UTSA commit to AAC amid Pac-12 interest

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
  • Pete Thamel
  • Kyle Bonagura

Some of the highest-profile targets of the Pac-12's expansion have rebuffed its interest, as Memphis, Tulane, USF and UTSA publicly committed to stay in the American Athletic Conference on Monday.

The schools announced their intentions on social media, which solidifies the AAC in the short term and leaves the six-team Pac-12 in flux as it searches for at least two more members to complete its rebuild.

The Pac-12 added Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State and San Diego State in recent weeks, with the goal to create a clear-cut fifth-best football conference. The school is in discussions with Gonzaga as a basketball addition, which sources told ESPN would come with a full revenue share. ESPN is also reporting preliminary discussions with Saint Mary's for the Pac-12.

But some of the Pac-12's momentum to become the top football conference outside the Power 4 leagues has stalled, as Memphis loomed as the linchpin of any potential additions.

The schools issued statements filled with standard jargon about student-athletes and academics, but the reality is that a significant financial risk loomed if any of them decided to join the Pac-12. AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti has aggressively tried to leverage private equity money to help boost cash flow in his league.

The four schools released a joint statement that read, in part: "While we acknowledge receiving interest in our institutions from other conferences, we firmly believe that it is in our individual and collective best interests to uphold our commitment to each other."

Exit fees from the AAC loomed as a big factor, as SMU paid $25 million to leave under a 27-month window. Factoring in revenue loss, it would cost a projected $27.5 million for each school to exit, as the Pac-12 is slated to start play in 2026.

The biggest factor working against the Pac-12 in luring the high-profile AAC programs was that it couldn't guarantee them a set monetary amount. The conference is working with its consulting partner, Navigate, to reconstruct the league. The costs and toll of travel also played a role in the decision-making. Navigate has been at the forefront of the outreach calls for the Pac-12, sources said.

While the Pac-12 has offered revenue projections of more than $12 million, there's no guarantee it would land there, considering it doesn't know who the final members will be. That has prevented the conference from getting an idea from television partners on what a deal would be worth, and that uncertainty presented a risk for the AAC schools. Memphis, Tulane and USF make close to $9 million in revenue from the league all-in between media rights, bowl deals and NCAA units.

As the Pac-12 whiffed on some of its top targets, the Mountain West has been scurrying to solidify its league. ESPN reported that the Mountain West is offering outsized deals to Air Force and UNLV as incentives to stay. The conference is offering all eight of its members extra money and guaranteeing that they won't move backward in their media contract.

ESPN has confirmed that Air Force has pledged its commitment to stay in the Mountain West. That is in the form of a memorandum of understanding that will allow the league to work toward a television deal and grant of rights.

So, the new look PAC 12 thinks it can get $12 million per team. Good luck with that. IMO, $10 million would be tops.
There was also a rumor floating around that Gonzaga was going to be a non-football member and was still going to get a full share.

There was also a rumor floating around that Gonzaga was going to be a non-football member and was still going to get a full share.
Yeah, and some indication if Gonzaga commits to PAC12 that St Mary's would also come along.

Just not seeing a huge interest in new PAC12 by TV networks/streaming services, it is basically the MWC. And now have gotten rejected by some AAC teams for now, plus getting rejected by UNLV & SJ State, so most likely the last few teams will be real stretches for football.

Still not sure why the remaining PAC12/MWC did not merge together, but like everything with college sports these days I am sure totally was about money.

Maybe I am wrong, but just not seeing the draw. of new PAC12.

Are you hearing anything about Uconn joining for football? Seen few things that there have been discussions.

Yeah, and some indication if Gonzaga commits to PAC12 that St Mary's would also come along.

Just not seeing a huge interest in new PAC12 by TV networks/streaming services, it is basically the MWC. And now have gotten rejected by some AAC teams for now, plus getting rejected by UNLV & SJ State, so most likely the last few teams will be real stretches for football.

Still not sure why the remaining PAC12/MWC did not merge together, but like everything with college sports these days I am sure totally was about money.

Maybe I am wrong, but just not seeing the draw. of new PAC12.
While a merger would have seemed to be the most logical course of action, I'm not sure it was as simple as the two sides coming together.

As I understand it, the MWC would have had to agree to dissolve and merge into the Pac-12 -- this would have protected the NCAA credits and other financial benefits OSU and WSU accrued as the conference fell apart around them leaving them with a name and not much else.

It's unclear if the MWC would have gotten the nine votes it would have needed to dissolve or if the Pac-12 schools would have been interested in taking on all of the MWC schools. As you can see, the Pac-12 is clearly prioritizing which MWC it truly wants. Based on what I've read, it would have been much cheaper for the Pac-12 to engineer the reverse merger.

Are you hearing anything about Uconn joining for football? Seen few things that there have been discussions.
Apparently, there have been discussions. The PAC 12 wants Connecticut to join for all sports, which is a non-starter. But, if they're willing to take us as a football only, and have no GOR or at least not one that runs longer than five years, I think we'd consider it if the money were right. If the valuation of what the P2 membership may be worth correct It could be eight to $10 million for Connecticut football for distribution rights. Plus, we get to stay in the big east. We'd probably end up making a combined $16-$18 million. Not horrible. Football travel isn't like basketball travel. We only have four games on the West Coast a year. In all likelihood, they try to would make them back to back to limit travel time.

Now, the big ifs and all of this is will they accept us as a football only member and can they actually get a vaguely decent distribution deal? As always, I believe it when they sign the papers. It's just healthier.

Apparently, there have been discussions. The PAC 12 wants Connecticut to join for all sports, which is a non-starter. But, if they're willing to take us as a football only, and have no GOR or at least not one that runs longer than five years, I think we'd consider it if the money were right. If the valuation of what the P2 membership may be worth correct It could be eight to $10 million for Connecticut football for distribution rights. Plus, we get to stay in the big east. We'd probably end up making a combined $16-$18 million. Not horrible. Football travel isn't like basketball travel. We only have four games on the West Coast a year. In all likelihood, they try to would make them back to back to limit travel time.

Now, the big ifs and all of this is will they accept us as a football only member and can they actually get a vaguely decent distribution deal? As always, I believe it when they sign the papers. It's just healthier.
C’mon, AAC teams are turning the new PAC 12 down. UCONN’s only viable option is a broken down ACC. Whenever that may happen.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
C’mon, AAC teams are turning the new PAC 12 down. UCONN’s only viable option is a broken down ACC. Whenever that may happen.
It makes more sense for UConn, at this moment, than it does the AAC schools. Those schools are sticking with what they have and banking on the behind the scenes move the league is pulling to pay off for them.

UConn is literally sitting on an island as an independent FBS school. If they can get a partial membership to the Pac-12 for football it would help them immeasurably. Plus, it likely doesn't rule out moving to a "broken down ACC" a decade from now.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
It makes more sense for UConn, at this moment, than it does the AAC schools. Those schools are sticking with what they have and banking on the behind the scenes move the league is pulling to pay off for them.

UConn is literally sitting on an island as an independent FBS school. If they can get a partial membership to the Pac-12 for football it would help them immeasurably. Plus, it likely doesn't rule out moving to a "broken down ACC" a decade from now.
I don’t disagree, this whole situation just shows how desperate both the new Pac12 and UCONN are.

Shrug. Today our only option is the Big East. If another offer comes, it comes

Last edited:
If “College Conference Members” was a Jeopardy category, I doubt Jeopardy Masters could get one of the five answers correct.
This university has shown national prominence in significant collegiate sports winning high-level national championships but cannot find a power football conference due to the ineptitude of its football program.

There may be a layup in there still.

Reactions: HALL85
I don't know about perfect, but it would certainly seem to be the best fit. The ACC doesn't seem interested though.
If Clemson, Florida State or another strong football school bails out which is very possible they would be a perfect fit. Strong BB conference and you could compete with most of the football teams .

If Clemson, Florida State or another strong football school bails out which is very possible they would be a perfect fit. Strong BB conference and you could compete with most of the football teams .
100% agree, and FSU and Clemson are two schools that have been relatively vocal opponents of Connecticut joining the ACC, so with them gone, it would seem more likely. That said, it's always made sense for Connecticut to join the ACC, but we have never been invited. BC has publicly stated that they blocked Connecticut because "they wanted to be the New England school". It seems clear that at least some members of the conference don't want us to join.

Perhaps FSU and Clemson leaving, likely coupled with UNC and at least one other school might be enough of a sea change to make us desirable to them, or maybe not. So, while I agree with your point, I'll believe it when it happens.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
By the way, there are rumors floating out there that Memphis reached out to the big east for membership with the plan being a pac 12 membership for football and a big east membership for everything else.

Apparently, Val was not interested.

• Pete Thamel
  • Kyle Bonagura

Some of the highest-profile targets of the Pac-12's expansion have rebuffed its interest, as Memphis, Tulane, USF and UTSA publicly committed to stay in the American Athletic Conference on Monday.

The schools announced their intentions on social media, which solidifies the AAC in the short term and leaves the six-team Pac-12 in flux as it searches for at least two more members to complete its rebuild.

The Pac-12 added Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State and San Diego State in recent weeks, with the goal to create a clear-cut fifth-best football conference. The school is in discussions with Gonzaga as a basketball addition, which sources told ESPN would come with a full revenue share. ESPN is also reporting preliminary discussions with Saint Mary's for the Pac-12.

But some of the Pac-12's momentum to become the top football conference outside the Power 4 leagues has stalled, as Memphis loomed as the linchpin of any potential additions.

The schools issued statements filled with standard jargon about student-athletes and academics, but the reality is that a significant financial risk loomed if any of them decided to join the Pac-12. AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti has aggressively tried to leverage private equity money to help boost cash flow in his league.

The four schools released a joint statement that read, in part: "While we acknowledge receiving interest in our institutions from other conferences, we firmly believe that it is in our individual and collective best interests to uphold our commitment to each other."

Exit fees from the AAC loomed as a big factor, as SMU paid $25 million to leave under a 27-month window. Factoring in revenue loss, it would cost a projected $27.5 million for each school to exit, as the Pac-12 is slated to start play in 2026.

The biggest factor working against the Pac-12 in luring the high-profile AAC programs was that it couldn't guarantee them a set monetary amount. The conference is working with its consulting partner, Navigate, to reconstruct the league. The costs and toll of travel also played a role in the decision-making. Navigate has been at the forefront of the outreach calls for the Pac-12, sources said.

While the Pac-12 has offered revenue projections of more than $12 million, there's no guarantee it would land there, considering it doesn't know who the final members will be. That has prevented the conference from getting an idea from television partners on what a deal would be worth, and that uncertainty presented a risk for the AAC schools. Memphis, Tulane and USF make close to $9 million in revenue from the league all-in between media rights, bowl deals and NCAA units.

As the Pac-12 whiffed on some of its top targets, the Mountain West has been scurrying to solidify its league. ESPN reported that the Mountain West is offering outsized deals to Air Force and UNLV as incentives to stay. The conference is offering all eight of its members extra money and guaranteeing that they won't move backward in their media contract.

ESPN has confirmed that Air Force has pledged its commitment to stay in the Mountain West. That is in the form of a memorandum of understanding that will allow the league to work toward a television deal and grant of rights.
Those schools have bounced around already.

NO more football schools PERIOD.
And yet I hear people talking about "raiding the ACC" if it's GOR proves to be unenforceable. I don't think it was a case of not wanting a football school, I think it was a case of not wanting the wrong football school.

And yet I hear people talking about "raiding the ACC" if it's GOR proves to be unenforceable. I don't think it was a case of not wanting a football school, I think it was a case of not wanting the wrong football school.
We have been down this road before with ND being the best example. They used us to improve their dead BB program then bolted. NO more big time football schools .

We have been down this road before with ND being the best example. They used us to improve their dead BB program then bolted. NO more big time football schools .
Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

CL82 thinking "Should I be offended by his use of the "big time" modifier in front of football? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSource
I know there are a few that believe we should not be involved with dual football/basketball college type programs.

I am not one of those and may be in the minority but...,

I believe that a golden future belongs to The Big East if it can wait to pick off the more basketball centric college programs that are unwanted by the power football schools and create the best basketball conference in America with a strong base of traditional basketball powers (additional state schools preferred) while still maintaining an enjoyable football presence that generates additional league value through its media partners.

I believe that is a smart future forward if presented. It may just take patience as the insanity of these zany conference expansions keep separating rivalries.

I would take Boston College and Notre Dame if there was some national football conference established and all other sports remained in regional conferences with original rivals. I'm not a fan of huge state schools competing in the same conference as small private Catholic universities.

I said big time football programs not want to be football programs !!!!
Oh, believe me, you were not subtle my friend. :D

Well, we all have to start somewhere. For Connecticut football that currently means beating Buffalo this weekend and getting to a 3-2 record.

Baby steps.

I would take Boston College and Notre Dame if there was some national football conference established and all other sports remained in regional conferences with original rivals. I'm not a fan of huge state schools competing in the same conference as small private Catholic universities.
The bigger the better for me. More eyeballs mean more $$$.

Interesting thing for me would be what the ACC could command in a new media rights deal without F State, Clemson and UNC ( and maybe Miami and Virginia). It would be better than the $10+/- million the reconfigured Pac12 could get but would be no where near what the current ACC gets now. But I’m not holding my breath to find out because the ACC grant of rights still looks solid thru 2035/6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT