ADVERTISEMENT

Mercy me

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Detroit Mercy takes down IUPUI to end 27-game losing streak​

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Jayden Stone scored 25 points and Detroit Mercy beat IUPUI 81-66 on Wednesday night to end a 27-game losing streak, dating to last season.

Detroit Mercy (1-26, 1-15 Horizon League) won its first game since topping Purdue Fort Wayne in last year's conference tournament. The Titans entered the day as one of two winless teams, joining Mississippi Valley State (0-24).

Detroit Mercy's losing streak was a Horizon League record, moving past the 23 Cleveland State lost in 2003-04. Detroit Mercy's previous program mark was 15 straight losses following a 0-14 start to the 1987-88 season.

Stone, scoring a league-best 20.4 points per game, added six rebounds for the Titans. Marcus Tankersley scored 19 points while shooting 5-of-8 from the field and 9-for-9 from the line. Mak Manciel had 14 points and shot 4-for-9 from beyond the arc.

DJ Jackson led the Jaguars (6-21, 2-14) in scoring, finishing with 17 points and two steals. Kidtrell Blocker added 11 points, and Jlynn Counter had 10 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and three steals.

The Jaguars, who have lost seven straight, beat Detroit Mercy 67-55 on Dec. 29.

• Wow
Reactions: shupat08
Just a year ago they were in the news because of Antoine Davis and his chase of the all-time Men's Basketball scoring record.

What a difference a year makes.

Just a year ago they were in the news because of Antoine Davis and his chase of the all-time Men's Basketball scoring record.

What a difference a year makes.
Yup, but that is Chasing with an * as - 5th year doesn’t warrant him being in the conversation with Pistol Pete

I was married to my wife for nearly ten years when I found out that my father-in-law was enrolled there for a while. My wife *never* knew before that.

He must have really been proud of it.

Yup, but that is Chasing with an * as - 5th year doesn’t warrant him being in the conversation with Pistol Pete
It's ok. Maravich managed to squeeze off about 200 more shots in his college career than Antoine Davis did (in 60 fewer games) and shot about two percentage points better.

Nothing against Maravich but it's easier to score when your Dad is the coach and he lets you take 38 shots a game.

It's ok. Maravich managed to squeeze off about 200 more shots in his college career than Antoine Davis did (in 60 fewer games) and shot about two percentage points better.

Nothing against Maravich but it's easier to score when your Dad is the coach and he lets you take 38 shots a game.
That's a misconception. It's nearly impossible for any player to take nearly 40 shots per game unless you are incredibly special. Think of how often he was double and tripled team and he still never shot less than 42.3% from the field.

SEASONGAMESFGFGAFG%REBOUNDSASSISTSPOINTS
1967-682616.639.3.4237.54.043.8
1968-692616.737.5.4446.54.944.2
1969-703116.837.7.4475.36.244.5
Career8316.738.1.4386.45.144.2

During Maravich's freshman season the varsity coach's son averaged 40 points, 12 rebounds and nine assists per game for an undefeated LSU freshman team.

it must have been stressful to pass the the ball for an average of 5.1 assists! Family came from aliquippa ! Some of his teammates left LSU cause they never got a shot off! His father got let go not much after Pete left LSU. Saw him play, floppy socks and hair, in NIT. Also in Hershey again Billy Cunningham and Sixers when he was a Hawk. Also played with Celtics.

Press quit his nc state job cause they would not have accepted pete due to grades.

Reactions: garyshu71
And thus concludeth the absolute strangest college career of anyone who ever actually made it to campus.
It was just before the start of the 2017 Fall semester when Taurean transferred to SH and to make room, incoming freshman Darnell Brodie did a prep year for Montverde. Nearly 7 years later and Brodie is still playing college ball averaging 12 & 8 for 21-5 Drake.

In another sign of the times in college basketball, Alexis Yetna just recently started playing for Fairfield in his 7th year in college. In his 3rd game he had 14 & 9 last night vs Niagara.

It was just before the start of the 2017 Fall semester when Taurean transferred to SH and to make room, incoming freshman Darnell Brodie did a prep year for Montverde. Nearly 7 years later and Brodie is still playing college ball averaging 12 & 8 for 21-5 Drake.

In another sign of the times in college basketball, Alexis Yetna just recently started playing for Fairfield in his 7th year in college. In his 3rd game he had 14 & 9 last night vs Niagara.
Those guys definitely have had odysseys, but when they can play, they play (I have to admit I did not realize Big Brodie was still at it, though).

But TT, with all his ability, played fewer and fewer minutes throughout his career, even as he transferred from place to place where you‘d have thought he would play more and more. Totally bizarre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT