ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Decourcy; what is he watching?

All you see is last 4 in last 4 out with Butler ahead of us. Huh? I’m assuming this guy has 7 Big 10 teams getting is as of now which would be all the evidence you need that the Big 10 is more about biased Media. No credibility here for Mike.
They have enormous alumni base thus more eyeballs.

All you see is last 4 in last 4 out with Butler ahead of us. Huh? I’m assuming this guy has 7 Big 10 teams getting is as of now which would be all the evidence you need that the Big 10 is more about biased Media. No credibility here for Mike.
Was it updated? He had us in the last four out on Saturday, before last night‘s game. At this time of year, be sure you’re looking at when these were updated (and perhaps it was, but that would be surprising).

Reactions: lloyde dobler
I’m not 100% sure on this, which is insane, but I thought teams were looked at for the tournament based on their resume and the NET is used to seed?
The NET isn't even used to seed, much less choose who makes the tourney. It's used to determine quality of wins. That's it.

UConn is ranked #11 in RPI (traditional metric). RPI is just winning percentage of teams you've beaten plus winning percentage of teams they have beaten.

UConn is ranked #4 in NET and #2 in Kenpom. That's taking efficiency and margin of victory and whatever else into account.

With the NET ranking, the intended usage is beating UConn gets viewed as beating the #2 or #4 team - because UConn is a really great team, but RPI does not reflect that.

However - the NET is only used to determine quality of wins. Such as getting proper credit for beating UConn.

But it's not like the selection committee is like "Seton Hall has a low NET, let's exclude them from the tourney." Bias is a different question.

The NET isn't even used to seed, much less choose who makes the tourney. It's used to determine quality of wins. That's it.

UConn is ranked #11 in RPI (traditional metric). RPI is just winning percentage of teams you've beaten plus winning percentage of teams they have beaten.

UConn is ranked #4 in NET and #2 in Kenpom. That's taking efficiency and margin of victory and whatever else into account.

With the NET ranking, the intended usage is beating UConn gets viewed as beating the #2 or #4 team - because UConn is a really great team, but RPI does not reflect that.

However - the NET is only used to determine quality of wins. Such as getting proper credit for beating UConn.

But it's not like the selection committee is like "Seton Hall has a low NET, let's exclude them from the tourney." Bias is a different question.
Conventional Wisdom is that the NET is a seed tool. You’re saying it’s not?

Why do these bracketologists on tv bring up a teams net then when talking teams in tournament?

I'm saying it's not a seed tool and not a selection tool. It's used to evaluate quality of resume, so that you get credit for beating a team like UConn that wins games by 25 and has beaten a ton of good teams.

However, it's not actually used to evaluate teams. That would mean "winning" at basketball = shooting a higher percentage or winning by a greater margin.

So yeah I'm saying conventional wisdom is wrong.

That’s what I always thought, it wasn’t used as a tool to help decide who gets in but helps in seeding.. which is why you’ve seen some pretty high net rankings get in… but like I said I’m not 100% sure

Appreciate all the data-driven analyses, but I will wait until 6:00 on Selection Sunday. If we finish 22-11, 13-7 we will be in, though one BET win would seal the deal.

I'm saying it's not a seed tool and not a selection tool. It's used to evaluate quality of resume, so that you get credit for beating a team like UConn that wins games by 25 and has beaten a ton of good teams.

However, it's not actually used to evaluate teams. That would mean "winning" at basketball = shooting a higher percentage or winning by a greater margin.

So yeah I'm saying conventional wisdom is wrong.
And you know this how?

i feel like the selection committee has all these data points and basically just use them to validate the team they were gonna choose anyway

And you know this how?
In part by looking at NET vs. actual seeding

This reddit post was pretty good - .

Basically, look at the teams that had a high divergence between NET-predicted seeding and actual seeding. One example is Tennessee - NET would have predicted a 1-seed, whereas they got a 4-seed.

If you look at Tennessee's schedule last year, they had a lot of blowout wins and relatively close losses. So NET loves that and pegs Tennessee as a good team, so that if your team beats Tennessee you get proper credit. However, Tennessee itself doesn't get rewarded for winning games by big margins and losing games by closer margins.

Reactions: HammerofDill
Isn't this the opposite of what Gonzaga faces and they are a 23 NET. That doesn't make sense to me.

Lunardi has a much better long term record of accurately projecting the field.

That said,the facts show the Big East to be top heavy this year with UConn,Marquette and Creighton all Final Four type contenders.

At the bottom,GTown and DePaul are the dregs of the earth.

Numbers 4-9 are a competitive mix of teams but all can be challenged for non tournament quality records. We're on a roll and performing above expectations but we still have work to do. Beating UConn,Marquette and Butler is great but losing to teams not in the current field like USC,Iowa,Rutgers,Xavier,Providence and Villanova drags down our rating.

We have to beat Butler on Saturday. Must win!

Didn't say we beat just the bottoms but need to beat all the middles ie Butler and Villanova in addition to the bottoms ie DePaul.

were 10-5 now why is every damn game MUST WIN, we beat # 1, #2 in Big East not all the bottoms
10-5 doesn't matter. 17-9 matters.

And 17-9 includes a non-conference resume that does us no favors. We lost to No. 89 and No. 108. Our best OOC win is against an 8-17 team that hasn't won a game in 2024 and is ranked 147.

FWIW, Lunardi tweeted yesterday he has us as "last team in", knocking Providence to "first team out" after that win against St. John's.

Win three and we’re in. Win two and ???? but I think we’re in. The next four games will not be easy.

Decourcey is an idiot. Doesn’t watch basketball. Strictly basing it off NET

Decourcey is an idiot. Doesn’t watch basketball. Strictly basing it off NET
Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do at this point?

These guys aren’t making their own picks, they’re basing it on what they think the committee will do. People don’t get that.

NET is used to rank teams for Quad purposes. It's the tool used to determine that beating St Johns (which is not an NCAA team and in 9th in BE) on the road is a Quad 1 Win. Beating a top 75 team on the road is Quad 1. St Johns has a NET of 51.

That's what NET is for. Not for deciding who gets a bid and not for seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT