ADVERTISEMENT

Mixed bag

Painter is doing just fine.

Let’s stop judging Sha on SPU performance and recognize it was an NIT championship. It was a snub, but we were squarely on either side of the bubble argument and were lucky to win NIT game 1. We dominated the rest until a hard-fought championship.

Reactions: HallGuy23
Painter is doing just fine.

Let’s stop judging Sha on SPU performance and recognize it was an NIT championship. It was a snub, but we were squarely on either side of the bubble argument and were lucky to win NIT game 1. We dominated the rest until a hard-fought championship.
It was just the NIT, and what impressed me is that the team voted to play and then showed up. The article mentions Kevin Ollie's 2014 NC team at UConn. I watched their first round game versus - coincidentally - St. Joe's and they absolutely SHOULD HAVE lost that game. So really, when we survived the first round against a solid A-10 team that wanted to beat a Big East team, it didn't bother me much.

It was just the NIT, and what impressed me is that the team voted to play and then showed up. The article mentions Kevin Ollie's 2014 NC team at UConn. I watched their first round game versus - coincidentally - St. Joe's and they absolutely SHOULD HAVE lost that game. So really, when we survived the first round against a solid A-10 team that wanted to beat a Big East team, it didn't bother me much.
I sat in the coaches' office way back then with Ryan Whalen, a St Joe's alum on Willard's staff. You are 100% correct that they should have won that game. I do not remember the particular call but I do remember the ref blowing the game for St Joe's.

Did I say the performance was poor? I was replying to a comment degrading Painter because Sha beat him head to head with SPU. Painter then went on to national runner up in the big boy tournament.

Sha at SHU, the nature of the article, is a mixed bag. Love that we won the NIT, but I’m not going to say it’s been 2 years of roses because of a great NIT run and a bit of a collapse in year 1. Also, 0-2 in the BET.

You’re screwed on this site if you’re not on every coaches’ and every players’ tips.

Reactions: Piratz
Did I say the performance was poor? I was replying to a comment degrading Painter because Sha beat him head to head with SPU. Painter then went on to national runner up in the big boy tournament.

Sha at SHU, the nature of the article, is a mixed bag. Love that we won the NIT, but I’m not going to say it’s been 2 years of roses because of a great NIT run and a bit of a collapse in year 1. Also, 0-2 in the BET.

You’re screwed on this site if you’re not on every coaches’ and every players’ tips.
not sure i would say the post was "degrading" painter. tongue in cheek at worst.

and yea you should judge sha for his elite 8 run. spu beating purdue was an all time coaching job . painter doing well but massive owning by sha. it was the s16 not fluke game 1

If you were lucky enough to be at the NIT championship game . You would never say it was JUST THE NIT.
Was an electric game - two great opponents snubbed by the NCAA for the main tourney - who battled until the final minute.

So glad we were there to celebrate. Too bad the "one more year" chants fell on deaf ears. At least we still have Sha, unlike Indiana State fans who lost players and their coach.

not sure i would say the post was "degrading" painter. tongue in cheek at worst.

and yea you should judge sha for his elite 8 run. spu beating purdue was an all time coaching job . painter doing well but massive owning by sha. it was the s16 not fluke game 1
Article was about coaches performance at their Alma mater.

Geez, I give credit for Sha beating painter but not in an article that is specifically talking about coaches coaching where they played.

Reactions: TheHall87

Painter didn’t “then go on to national runner up”. He went on to became the 2nd coach ever to lose to a 16 seed the year after Sha out coached him. I was pointing out that somehow Painter is the #1 coach at his alma mater, I disagree.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Painter didn’t “then go on to national runner up”. He went on to became the 2nd coach ever to lose to a 16 seed the year after Sha out coached him. I was pointing out that somehow Painter is the #1 coach at his alma mater, I disagree.
Nearly 450 wins, 15 NCAA appearances, a Final Four, seven Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights and a Final Four would like a word.

With all due respect to the great Shaheen, when he approaches those numbers that conversation can be had.

Nearly 450 wins, 15 NCAA appearances, a Final Four, seven Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights and a Final Four would like a word.

With all due respect to the great Shaheen, when he approaches those numbers that conversation can be had.
Why do you think I’m saying Sha as better than Painter? I don’t think he should be #1. He lost as a 1 seed to a 16 and to a 15 as a 3 seed in back to back seasons. That was my point. I doubt Painter would say Holloway at Seton Hall is in the mixed bag after coaching against him.

Excuse me for not giving Sha credit for FAU as well.

Yes, he did “then go on to a national runner up”. Did I say it was the next year? No…

But I would kill for SHU to lose to a 15 seed, a 16 seed and, then, go on to a national runner up because we would be a 2 seed, 1 seed and 1 seed in 3 consecutive years. That, and the other success that was spelled out by Hall87 is something I hope Sha can replicate some day. Sign me up.

And again, the title of the article is Coaches at their Alma Maters and judges performance AT THEIR ALMA MATERS. I missed us playing Purdue the last two years, and Sha and SETON HALL handing one to Painter.

But, please keep making a counter point to prove something that no one is saying.

Yes, Sha’s performance AT SETON HALL has been a mixed bag.

Won NIT - very good
Being in NIT - not so good
0-2 in BET - not good
Came in 4th this year - very good
Came in 7th last year - not so good
Failed to recruit back up PG this year - bad
Corey Lowery still on staff - not good

We have one recruiter on this staff and we fail to read the tea leaves as player after player strings us until taking a better offer.

So, I will say again. MIXED BAG

There's no need for that kind of insinuation. I was only defending the "only the NIT" comment. It's widely accepted that SHU/TBE was screwed this year, so what other option was there?

If we had qualified for the NCAA tournament as a Play In game participant and had lost, where would you rank the team’s performance relative to SHU history?

Not trying to disparage what they accomplished in the NIT. But whether or not the championship game was a great game or not, the achievement is still a step below hanging an NCAA tournament qualification banner in my opinion.

The following were the NET rankings of the teams Seton Hall beat prior to ISU and 3 of them were home games.

St. Joe’s - 93
North Texas - 73
UNLV - 76
Georgia - 100

Reactions: TheHall87

Good luck buddy. I dared to go there mentioning the fact he is 0-2 BET games both times as the better seed, one of which was DePaul. It's a tough crowd here. Many can't admit we overachieved but also face facts good programs evaluate the season as NCAA or bust. After a decade of NCAA or bust somehow the NIT is now where the cool kids play. First time since 2014-2015 we missed consecutive NCAA tournaments, but clearly our guy is better than Matt Painter because Matt's the only guy in NCAA tournament history to lose to a 15 and a 16 seed. LOL. Oh you know those downsides to consistently being a top 3 seed in the tournament.

Good luck buddy. I dared to go there mentioning the fact he is 0-2 BET games both times as the better seed, one of which was DePaul. It's a tough crowd here. Many can't admit we overachieved but also face facts good programs evaluate the season as NCAA or bust. After a decade of NCAA or bust somehow the NIT is now where the cool kids play. First time since 2014-2015 we missed consecutive NCAA tournaments, but clearly our guy is better than Matt Painter because Matt's the only guy in NCAA tournament history to lose to a 15 and a 16 seed. LOL. Oh you know those downsides to consistently being a top 3 seed in the tournament.
Where did anyone say Holloway was better than Painter? Both of you continue to make up things never written,

Reactions: sussexcopirate
Where did anyone say Holloway was better than Painter? Both of you continue to make up things never written,
Well maybe I misunderstood when you said you disagree Painter was the best coach at his Alma mater. I figured you had to mean Shaheen is ahead of him. Sincere apologies but that’s what it comes off as.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Why do you think I’m saying Sha as better than Painter? I don’t think he should be #1. He lost as a 1 seed to a 16 and to a 15 as a 3 seed in back to back seasons. That was my point. I doubt Painter would say Holloway at Seton Hall is in the mixed bag after coaching against him.
I'd be very interested on who you think should be No. 1 on the list.

Jim Boeheim and Roy Williams who didn’t make the top 5
I was really hoping the poster I quoted would answer the question before anybody else chimed in.

Boeheim and Williams aren't listed for good reason.

From the linked article.

"The coaches ranked are either active now or were hired by their former school within the past 15 years."

Reactions: Halldan1 and sami
If this is for all coaches not just active, no one close to boeheim.
Think it just depends on how you look at it. Roy has 2 nattys to Jimmy’s 1 in half the years at his Alma mater. But as 87 pointed out for some weird reason you had to be hired in the last 15 years for this list.

Think it just depends on how you look at it. Roy has 2 nattys to Jimmy’s 1 in half the years at his Alma mater. But as 87 pointed out for some weird reason you had to be hired in the last 15 years for this list.
The whole article is a solid premise gone bad.

There is a larger list of coaches that are school alums below the three categories. There are 11 active (at their school) coaches out of 45 on that list.

Consider that eight of the 15 names "ranked" are no longer at their schools -- including all five of the "big misses" and really it should be an "all-time" list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT