ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Settlement Negotiations

Hall Berry

Silver Member
Apr 13, 2024
I think it's been mentioned elsewhere but it probably deserves its own thread. ESPN reported Monday that the NCAA is involved in "deep discussions" to reach a legal settlement in the antitrust class action lawsuit that has been filed. Notably, while it would settle the monetary claim for "back pay" (probably not the right term - it should be back-NIL), for former athletes, likely to be billions of dollars, the settlement would also include a framework for revenue sharing with athletes going forward.

"Sources indicated the top-end revenue share per school - once it's determined - would be in the neighborhood of $20 million annually ... Whatever number is set by the settlement, individual schools will be able to opt in to share revenue up to that number with their student athletes at their discretion. ... Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts, for example, recently told the Bryan-College Station Eagle that schools could be adding $15 million to $20 million to their budgets annually for what he termed "a new expense category" in college athletics".

Not sure with a proposed cap of $20 million that it leaves Seton Hall in any different position than it's in now! I think if a settlement is consummated consistent with what has been reported, it shows the compromised position that the NCAA is in right now. Can you imagine the NCAA agreeing to (1) pay billions in back-nil; (2) institute a $20 million dollar cap per school; and (3) obtain no concessions from the athletes on NCAA transfer limitations? And they'd probably tell you what a great win this is!

Oops, sorry I didn’t see this. I responded essentially as you did on another thread after reading the ESPN article. Apologies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT