ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to change roster sizes and scholarships

The end of college sports as we once knew it. Sad. The term “student athlete” will no longer be able to be used.
In the B Felt interview he used the term "student athlete " unfortunately that term should not be used anymore although we should still be proud of all of our athlete's academic achievements

Why is this a bad thing?

Baseball can have up to 34 Full Scholarship Athletes now. Currently at 11.7 full scholarships split between 30+ guys
Softball moves from 12 to 25 scholarships and volleyball moves from 12 to 18 scholarships. That's a lot of opportunity for those programs to bring in and entice more kids to come and not have to pay out of their pockets to play for the Hall.

Why is this a bad thing?

Baseball can have up to 34 Full Scholarship Athletes now. Currently at 11.7 full scholarships split between 30+ guys
Softball moves from 12 to 25 scholarships and volleyball moves from 12 to 18 scholarships. That's a lot of opportunity for those programs to bring in and entice more kids to come and not have to pay out of their pockets to play for the Hall.
I agree that is why I try to support as much as possible to non revenue sports and more Pirate fans should . I attend as many of these games as possible and I notice the lack of alumni support . I also think the AD's office should try to do a better job of promoting these programs. Those teams on their own do promotions for the student body but it is up to the AD 's office to get more alumni involved.

Why is this a bad thing?

This will have such a minor impact. It's a band-aid on a gun shot wound where you know another gun shot wound is coming in the exact same spot. The band-aid is irrelevant. Wait until athletes become employees, then unionize and the schools have to pay these athletes hourly rates.

Do the math 34 scholarship athletes who aren't paying tuition to the school getting paid $15.13 times 20 hours per week for 30 weeks a year because they'll be paid in the offseason workout. That's over $300,000 to pay baseball players. That will last.

Why is this a bad thing?

It's bad because schools like Seton Hall cannot afford to use all those scholarships. Enrollment management is already such a carefully calibrated formula, and there is virtually no room on the margins. Would Seton Hall love to be able to attract another 40 full-pay students? Sure! Full-ride kids? Absolutely not! From a enrollment management perspective, those are 40 people just taking up space, producing no revenue whatsoever and straining the already strained physical and financial resources. There likely is not even room for them, and Seton Hall is not going to take 40 fewer full-pay or tuition-aided students. They need them!

I wouldn't expect Seton Hall to come anywhere near filling these additional scholarships. But plenty of big state schools will, putting us at a further competitive disadvantage.

Last edited:
They play a sport and go to college. They are still student athletes to me. And, their games earn a lot of money. Now they get money too but it comes in a half ass way.

They play a sport and go to college. They are still student athletes to me. And, their games earn a lot of money. Now they get money too but it comes in a half ass way.
Some, yes. Some, no. Players like Khaliff Battle and AJ Storr are straight up mercenaries.

It's fine if that's how they want to spend their eligibility but changing institutions every 12 months is not a genuine attempt to complete a college curriculum. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Why is this a bad thing?

I think this means that we will be recruiting down another rung, as the schools (ie state schools) with big budgets will now load up even more with the higher talented players (stockpiling) while a school like the Hall, which will not be able to afford giving more scholarships to non revenue producing sports (at schools in the South as well as other specific regions, sports such as baseball, track, etc DO produce revenue) and therefore players we normally might recruit at a partial or even no scholarship will now be getting free ride offers elsewhere.

More talent drain...

If you think the number of players entering the transfer portal is high now wait till the new limits are in place . College sports is going to be unrecognizable given the recent decisions put in place by the NCAA and the courts.

I know this will further separate Power 5 Schools from the rest of D1 and I know there will be consequences due to Title IX and the changing of college athletics. But looking at this strictly as a baseball fan and former player, it's about damn time the scholarship restriction got raised from 11.7.

Managing a 35-man roster on 11.7 ships is insane, especially at the top levels of college baseball who are feeder programs for MLB.

Young baseball players have been paying for the privilege to play College baseball for decades which would be preposterous to think of in any other sport. Not only is it unfair but it eliminates a large percentage of the country from lower socio-economic sectors who won't pursue baseball because it won't even offer an opportunity to pay for their College education.

bob barry jr april GIF

I know this will further separate Power 5 Schools from the rest of D1 and I know there will be consequences due to Title IX and the changing of college athletics. But looking at this strictly as a baseball fan and former player, it's about damn time the scholarship restriction got raised from 11.7.

Managing a 35-man roster on 11.7 ships is insane, especially at the top levels of college baseball who are feeder programs for MLB.

Young baseball players have been paying for the privilege to play College baseball for decades which would be preposterous to think of in any other sport. Not only is it unfair but it eliminates a large percentage of the country from lower socio-economic sectors who won't pursue baseball because it won't even offer an opportunity to pay for their College education.
Doesn’t it happen in every non-revenue sport?

Some, yes. Some, no. Players like Khaliff Battle and AJ Storr are straight up mercenaries.

It's fine if that's how they want to spend their eligibility but changing institutions every 12 months is not a genuine attempt to complete a college curriculum. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Our kids go to class it seems. That they now get $ doesnt make me think they are not student athletes. Some schools and coaches have played lose forever and the transfer rules can make it ridiculous.

But for me, as an example, Isaiah Coleman, student athlete. And i think is that true of our roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT