ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Transformation Committee introduces concept for potentially expanding fields in postseason tournaments

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Requirements for Division I tournaments could be modified, and that may include Men's and Women's March Madness

By Matt Norlander

Should the NCAA Tournaments in men's and women's basketball ever expand again, the Division I Transformation Committee will be remembered as the catalyst.

In recent weeks, the committee has been informally tossing out a potential philosophical change to how some NCAA postseason tournaments could be configured, sources told CBS Sports. In Chicago last week, committee co-chairs Julie Cromer (Ohio athletic director) and Greg Sankey (SEC commissioner) put forth to the other 31 commissioners representing the Conference Commissioners Association -- in person and for the first time -- one tangible rule change still in a rudimentary stage.

The committee is putting an idea on the table that all Division I sports could allow as much as 25% of a sport's teams to be able to qualify for said sport's NCAA bracket. In layman's terms -- and at its extreme -- this would mean college basketball's 363-school population could one day, theoretically, allow for as many as 90 teams in March Madness.

While basketball is inevitably going to receive the most scrutiny and attention on a talking point like this, sources stressed that this possible future rule change might be there to uplift sports such as baseball, lacrosse or soccer. At this stage, the appetite for "significant" expansion of basketball's NCAA Tournament is minimal, according to a variety of NCAA sources. ................

• Wow
Reactions: walshtrips
Contraction of automatic bids will get far more push back than adding teams would.

Dumb. There aren’t that many good teams to begin with. Typically the last teams in aren’t very good.

Dumb. There aren’t that many good teams to begin with. Typically the last teams in aren’t very good.
I don't disagree but if the goal is to get more P5s in the field, I'd rather see expansion than the elimination of automatic bids.

I've figured at some point that the field would eventually expand to 72 but now I'm thinking if this idea passes, they'll go to 96 teams.

That's 24 per region with eight byes and an opening round of eight games per region to get to 64.

I don't disagree but if the goal is to get more P5s in the field, I'd rather see expansion than the elimination of automatic bids.

I've figured at some point that the field would eventually expand to 72 but now I'm thinking if this idea passes, they'll go to 96 teams.

That's 24 per region with eight byes and an opening round of eight games per region to get to 64.

Those opening games would be disgusting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT