ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year - Kadary

There is so much money out there its going to be very difficult to keep Kadary. Even if he agreed to come back for say $400K, the offers are not going to stop. As a grad transfer he can be plucked away from us late in the process. Someone could double our offer after the Portal is closed and who could blame him for taking it?

There is so much money out there its going to be very difficult to keep Kadary. Even if he agreed to come back for say $400K, the offers are not going to stop. As a grad transfer he can be plucked away from us late in the process. Someone could double our offer after the Portal is closed and who could blame him for taking it?
I think the story last year was that Cooley and Gtown “lured” Spencer out of the portal, only to have Uconn close on him.

I have no idea where the numbers are, but just because they may have a $7.5 million worth of cash doesn’t mean you spend all of it. I don’t think any program is at the point where they can count on that kind of money every single year nor should they.

The market will dictate prices. Even a school with a lot of money is not going to pay twice or three times the value of a player if they don’t have to.
if they have 7.5M, how would spending 1m or close to it on Khadary be "spending all of it" I take it math wasn't your strong suit at the hall back in 1985?

if they have 7.5M, how would spending 1m or close to it on Khadary be "spending all of it" I take it math wasn't your strong suit at the hall back in 1985?
What about the rest of the roster? Everyone else on the roster playing pro bono?

My math has served me well…:)

You dont think 6.5M is enough to construct a solid rest of roster? Seesh, Ok
Yes it’s okay. My point is just because you have $7.5M this year doesn’t mean you empty the coffers because you need to raise another $7.5 next year.

It's hard to know the value of the players like you would in a regular professional league. I worked for 36 years in Big Pharma as head of HR, M&A, Logistics & Clinical Studies and still had time to read every post on Piratecrew. How can you put a price on that?

I personally think you have a set amount of money every year, and spend accordingly. If you get $7.5M, don't overpay, and just carry it over. At a minimum, the more you carry over the less you need to hit donors up. Everywhere you read about donor fatigue.

I personally think you have a set amount of money every year, and spend accordingly. If you get $7.5M, don't overpay, and just carry it over. At a minimum, the more you carry over the less you need to hit donors up. Everywhere you read about donor fatigue.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Is that $7.5m specifically earmarked for basketball? Or just general NIL. Yea sounds like a lot but I’m sure the football program is looking to write some checks as well.

Well how about a Haggerty award season.

I so want him back. Like Pat I have been singing his praises all year. But if he chooses a ridiculous pay day who among us would not do the same?
This has nothing to do with loyalty. It’s what’s best for Richmond and his career and life going forward.

You would hope that both parties can have a meaningful and transparent conversation so it’s not to surprise each other with a final decision.

No one can begrudge Samuel for getting a big number. It sounded, though, like the way it transpired could’ve been avoided.

All things close to equal and I expect he comes back. That's loyalty.

Problem might be though, will all things be close to equal?
I see it a little differently, Dan. There is probably value placed on having the relationship with Sha because Richmond might feel he truly wants what’s best for him and preparing him for the next step whatever it may be.

Is that loyalty or is it trust? If there is loyalty, if Richmod truly wants to get a bigger number than we can’t come close to then he would have that conversation with Sha now so he can move on and plan for life without him.

I have been told that money, unless it's a ridiculous difference, will not be the deciding factor. Kooks loves it here and there is now a chance he comes back.

Problem is his play, which is now as a true PG is opening up eyes and that could be a problem. For the first time in his career at the Hall he is sacrificing his offensive game for the good of the team.

Yes, I know, the question is why is that happening now? And that's a valid point. But Sha asked him to change his game in the tournament and that has provided major dividends.

I have been told that money, unless it's a ridiculous difference, will not be the deciding factor. Kooks loves it here and there is now a chance he comes back.

Problem is his play, which is now as a true PG is opening up eyes and that could be a problem. For the first time in his career at the Hall he is sacrificing his offensive game for the good of the team.

Yes, I know, the question is why is that happening now? And that's a valid point. But Sha asked him to change his game in the tournament and that has provided major dividends.
I’m sure they will be big offers, but to me loyalty is understanding that Sha has a job to do and you need to respect that and give him some guidelines.

Hypothetically, let’s say Sha knows he can give him $500,000 and tells him that’s the ceiling…probably fair to say go see what the market will bear, but I need a decision by X date. And Kadary should respect that.

So you are saying after 3 years and so many games he was asked to be more of a facilitator in these NIT games?

Reactions: Seton00
Richmond doesn’t owe Seton Hall anything and Seton Hall doesn’t owe Richmond anything.
Agree, and I view the relationship between the two as a positive. Mutual respect and recognition that each will do what’s in their best interest.

I have a hard time believing that many players decisions will be based upon loyalty in this period of free agency and $$ wil be the deciding factor to most of these players.
When I was the age these players are the great majority of my decisions were made based upon $. In retrospect, maybe that wasn’t the best decision at the time but with age comes wisdom and we’re talking about kids/young adults here

If he leaves, he leaves., but of course he owes the Hall something.
If he leaves, what does he owe the Hall? Some of the NIL at his new destination? Work a few hours in the bookstore or cafe? Recruit his replacement? What exactly does he owe the Hall beyond his years playing here?

How has the Hall been very loyal to him? Renewing his scholarship year to year?
If he leaves, what does he owe the Hall? Some of the NIL at his new destination? Work a few hours in the bookstore or cafe? Recruit his replacement? What exactly does he owe the Hall beyond his years playing here?
Totally disagree. The hall gave him free reign and unlimited playing time which allowed him to get to the point he is at right now.
If the rumors were true and i don't know if they are that he nixed recruiting a serviceable back up point guard or a posh then yes there is a certain loyalty situation.

And he might just deliver us an NIT title. And a solid season.

What he does after this season is a decision he has to make, but he owes us nothing. Just like we owe him nothing.

Sha could have said “no” to the free reign and he didn’t do anything selfishly outside of the team game. We don’t even know 100% for sure what went down in the offseason behind the many “experts” on here.

Trying not to get my hopes up too much with the Richmond returning talk. If he does that would be incredible, but in the age of NIL it isn’t hard to imagine a well endowed program making him an offer that he can’t refuse. And as others have posted, who could blame him for taking it?

I also don't understand how his play in a few NIT games against mediocre competition somehow changes the landscape in how others view him as a player, when he already has 120+ high-major college games under his belt. It makes sense that someone seeing the "leap" Kadary took this year would impact how they view him as a player, because he went from someone who only showed flashes of being really good for 3 years to someone who did it much more consistently this past season and morphed into the All Big East player most of us pegged him to be when he transferred from Cuse. But I don't see how 3 NIT games would impact anyone's evaluation. He isn't taking as many shots, but he had plenty of games this year where he did that.

Reactions: shu09
I also don't understand how his play in a few NIT games against mediocre competition somehow changes the landscape in how others view him as a player, when he already has 120+ high-major college games under his belt.
Because his shot is his weakness and the fact that he became a distributor instead of a scorer opens up a facet of his game mostly unseen. Surround him with talented shooters and now his value skyrockets.

Because his shot is his weakness and the fact that he became a distributor instead of a scorer opens up a facet of his game mostly unseen. Surround him with talented shooters and now his value skyrockets.
I hear you, just don’t see how folks far more knowledgeable than me didn’t see that. He had games in the past where he played more of that role, so he’s certainly capable of doing that. It isn’t like he took 20 shots every game or didn’t have the ball. He had the ball all this year, most of last year, and sometimes the prior year.

My only issue and if anyone wants to ask the question I 100% understand. Why didn't we see this Kooks more often? He was told specifically by Sha to play the last three games as he did and the results were amazing.

I would have liked to see this Kooks more often than we did. This Richmond is GOLD.

Chasing money and giving up stability isn’t always the right choice. The sooner we learn that, the better. I learned that moving to Atlanta in 2009. More money equals much more stress, in a new city, around people in an area of the country that is very different than what you’re used to. I was back in 2012 and as the old saying goes, the grass isn’t always greener…..

My only issue and if anyone wants to ask the question I 100% understand. Why didn't we see this Kooks more often? He was told specifically by Sha to play the last three games as he did and the results were amazing.

I would have liked to see this Kooks more often than we did. This Richmond is GOLD.
It's a fair point. He had a few games this year where he was more "distributor and facilitator" than "scorer/facilitator".

Honestly Dan I think it is because at times we were so reliant on him to score the ball. We got the "good Dawes" more than the "bad Dawes" in conference play, but that's part of it. Wusu was wildly inconsistent. So that leaves Dre who was more consistent than not. But have limited offensive options at times plus the lack of bench I think created scenarios in which we needed the Kadary bucket-getter more than not.

Reactions: LBP43
Chasing money and giving up stability isn’t always the right choice. The sooner we learn that, the better. I learned that moving to Atlanta in 2009. More money equals much more stress, in a new city, around people in an area of the country that is very different than what you’re used to. I was back in 2012 and as the old saying goes, the grass isn’t always greener…..
Agree 100%. I think that applies to these kids not different than other professionals. Sometimes one's circumstances warrant taking the most money offered, sometimes they do not. It is all individualized.

There are two other factors though that I'm sure play a role in his decision-making.

One, what role will we have elsewhere, and who will he be surrounded with. With the injury-stuff this year, does he stand to benefit more from somewhere with more guard depth in which he can play 25-28 minutes more consistently, surrounded by legit bigs, shooters, ball-handlers, etc. We might have that, but others might be able to offer more comfort.

Two, I'm sure certain other coaches recruiting him are going to point to their ability to develop kids into professionals. Sha is a good coach, no doubt helped KR, and was an excellent college PG himself. But we know there are other coaches out there who can point to concrete examples of kids they helped get to the pros.

Reactions: Bluebeard

Ha! Dodged that bullet with moving to the northern suburbs of Atlanta as well before 2016.

Glad we were willing to put up with NJ taxes for now.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Tell that to his handlers. And that goes for any player, not just him.

Common sense almost never applies in these situations. Same reason why dozens of players foolishly enter the draft each year. Now transfers and NIL have entered the picture. It’s all about what’s whispered into their ears by outside people, not what may make sense to fans of their college team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT