ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban, who won 6 titles at Alabama, retiring

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Nick Saban, considered among the greatest college football coaches of all time who won six national times at Alabama, is retiring, sources told ESPN's Chris Low.

Saban, 72, just completed his 17th season at Alabama.

"I've always said that if you're thinking about retirement, you're probably already retired, and I'm not there yet," Saban told ESPN in November.

Big shoes to fill.Replacement will be held to impossibly high expectations.

The best ever. Good luck to his successor who has impossible shoes to fill.

No Dolphin fan can think well of Saban. All
I have to say.
A great college coach that was in way over his head when he tried big boy coaching. He lied about his interest in returning to the amateur ranks and then abandoned the Dolphins as quickly as he could.

He went 11-2 with Tua, Mac Jones, Najee, Bijan, J Ford, Waddle, Jeudy, D Smith, Ruggs to name a few. He may have assembled the greatest roster in college fball history. Even Coach Willard would’ve scored points with that team.

I actually think he was positioned to do better in the pros compared to some of the other great college coaches that have failed (Urban, Spurrier, etc). I'm not a Dolphins fan, but a story I've read over the years is that he wanted Brees, who was coming off a bad injury (I think with the Chargers at the time, where he started, but who were moving on from him because of Rivers). The Dolphins medical staff either wouldn't sign off or talked the powers that be out of signing Brees, and instead they go with Culpepper. And that was all she wrote for Saban. He also realized quickly coaching college kids is way different than professionals, especially back then pre-NIL. There was a veteran dogging it in practice -- forget the name -- and Saban demanded he run springs/laps. Next day they get word from the guy's agent that he had a clause in his contract that said Saban couldn't do that, or something similar.

One of the great college coaches ever. Will be interesting to see who they land on as a replacement. Obviously one of the best college gigs there is, but enormous pressure and Kirby/Georgia are killing it right now, which adds to the pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT