ADVERTISEMENT

NJ’s big time college FB team

Schiano is not a big time Coach. He can do enough to make Rutgers relevant in the Big 10 and probably make them Bowl Eligible most years, likely ceiling is 8 wins a year but they’ll likely average 5 to 7 wins per year depending on how they schedule.

He is blowing a real opportunity for Rutgers to climb into upper third of the B1G given how soft their in conference schedule appeared to be. Plus to get beat on your home field like they have the last couple of week is not good.

Schiano is not a big time Coach. He can do enough to make Rutgers relevant in the Big 10 and probably make them Bowl Eligible most years, likely ceiling is 8 wins a year but they’ll likely average 5 to 7 wins per year depending on how they schedule.

He is blowing a real opportunity for Rutgers to climb into upper third of the B1G given how soft their in conference schedule appeared to be. Plus to get beat on your home field like they have the last couple of week is not good.
Sorry, unless Rutgers goes out and get Nick Saban, the coach will make little difference when RU is paying 20% of what tOSU, PSU, Michigan, USC, and Oregon are paying players. It amazes me people think he's not a big time coach but he'll easily get picked up as a defensive coordinator at a place like tOSU or a guy like Belichek was taking him as DC. What does the Belichek guy know anyway? It seems he's respected by other coaches when he's looking for employment. I think most people in the football world understand he's not losing because of X's and O's, he's losing because other teams are paying more for Jimmy's and Joe's.

I fear we here at Seton Hall are in the same situation with a solid coach who has to find a way to win without being able to compete financially with the big boys. We're picked 10th and I guarantee it's not because we have the 10th best coach in the league more likley because we have the 10th best budget.

Last edited:
He was a middler long before "NIL" became a factor, and his long head-coaching record bears that out. Look, he is a master at taking an absolute bottom-feeder and making it into a respectable program that looks like it at least belongs where it is. Him taking what he inherited at Rutgers in 2000, which was for all intents and purposes a 1-AA-level program, and building the infrastructure and creating a brand, was the model. And even though the infrastructure was in place when he was rehired in 2019, he still had to undo the damage wrought by Ash's breathtaking incompetence.

But aside from that 2006 season, which is clearly an outlier, he's not the kind of guy who can make a good team very good, let alone great. Aside from "NIL," he's also got the added disadvantage of not being able to pad the overall record with five creampuff nonconference games anymore, like he was always able to do in the Big East. He's only got room for three. And his conference records have always been mediocre. People love to extend him grace because of the hit those records took from when he was rebuilding, but if you start counting from the week after that huge win over Louisville in 2006, he was just 17-21 in his remaining Big East conference games before he bolted for Tampa Bay. That, after achieving what was, by a huge margin, his high-water mark. It was built. He had visibility. He had players. He just isn't that kind of coach. So he can finger point at "NIL" (which certainly is not his friend), and keep scapegoating offensive coordinators every year, but the record over almost 25 years is that he is just not a very good head coach. He's not terrible (although I would say that 2024 Greg Schiano is not the factor that 2005 Greg Schiano was; he's been left behind to a large extent), but he's a classic middler. Only at Rutgers, which for the last forty years has only ever hired terrible head coaches or him, does he look like a miracle worker, or represent some sort of "no one else could do any better." They would be fine if they could just get out of their own way.

He was a middler long before "NIL" became a factor, and his long head-coaching record bears that out. Look, he is a master at taking an absolute bottom-feeder and making it into a respectable program that looks like it at least belongs where it is. Him taking what he inherited at Rutgers in 2000, which was for all intents and purposes a 1-AA-level program, and building the infrastructure and creating a brand, was the model. And even though the infrastructure was in place when he was rehired in 2019, he still had to undo the damage wrought by Ash's breathtaking incompetence.

But aside from that 2006 season, which is clearly an outlier, he's not the kind of guy who can make a good team very good, let alone great. Aside from "NIL," he's also got the added disadvantage of not being able to pad the overall record with five creampuff nonconference games anymore, like he was always able to do in the Big East. He's only got room for three. And his conference records have always been mediocre. People love to extend him grace because of the hit those records took from when he was rebuilding, but if you start counting from the week after that huge win over Louisville in 2006, he was just 17-21 in his remaining Big East conference games before he bolted for Tampa Bay. That, after achieving what was, by a huge margin, his high-water mark. It was built. He had visibility. He had players. He just isn't that kind of coach. So he can finger point at "NIL" (which certainly is not his friend), and keep scapegoating offensive coordinators every year, but the record over almost 25 years is that he is just not a very good head coach. He's not terrible (although I would say that 2024 Greg Schiano is not the factor that 2005 Greg Schiano was; he's been left behind to a large extent), but he's a classic middler. Only at Rutgers, which for the last forty years has only ever hired terrible head coaches or him, does he look like a miracle worker, or represent some sort of "no one else could do any better." They would be fine if they could just get out of their own way.
I think we have to stop talking like Pre-NIL there was no money exchanging hands. Reggie Bush wasn't the only guy making money or whose family was living the high life. You may need more money in NIL era but Pre-NIL you needed money too. All of those guys were making money too. I think it's fair to say NJ school alums aren't the best at giving back to their schools athletic programs.

Sorry, unless Rutgers goes out and get Nick Saban, the coach will make little difference when RU is paying 20% of what tOSU, PSU, Michigan, USC, and Oregon are paying players. It amazes me people think he's not a big time coach but he'll easily get picked up as a defensive coordinator at a place like tOSU or a guy like Belichek was taking him as DC. What does the Belichek guy know anyway? It seems he's respected by other coaches when he's looking for employment. I think most people in the football world understand he's not losing because of X's and O's, he's losing because other teams are paying more for Jimmy's and Joe's.

I fear we here at Seton Hall are in the same situation with a solid coach who has to find a way to win without being able to compete financially with the big boys. We're picked 10th and I guarantee it's not because we have the 10th best coach in the league more likley because we have the 10th best budget.
I’ve heard that the RU NIL coffers are pretty good. Are they as high as Ohio St, USC, Michigan, Oregon and maybe Penn St? Probably not, But no reason he can’t rise above the rest of the mediocre teams that make up the B1G IMO.

Last edited:
I’ve heard that the RU NIL coffers are pretty good. Are they as high as Ohio St, USC, Michigan and maybe Penn St? Probably not, But no reason he can’t rise above the rest of the mediocre teams that make up the B1G IMO.
If you are answering the question of whether their football NIL is as high as tOSU, USC, Michigan and Penn St with probably not, I think you're misguided. The answer is definitely not and it's not even close. 5 stars would be visiting RU if they were possibly on par with those schools. I think what we're seeing is a reflection of money and a new coach isn't going to solve that at RU. I'd like to see what Schiano would do with the talent and depth of those schools. No recruit is saying oh man I want to go to Penn State to play for Franklin or I want to play for Ryan Day instead of Schiano. They're saying Ohio State has a budget of $20 million, I'll take that offer.

To put it in Seton Hall terms, Willard got the results when he had Whitehead running the point instead of Maayan. You need big time players to win. And in a much more physical game like football, you need a good number of them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT