ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame back to the Big East?

Did Fox know of this all along? When SH gave Sha and the staff a raise did they know additional revenue was on the way? Better logistics and natural old time rivalries for ND plus the revenue.

Most here were against adding Uconn.

And I am pretty sure whatever networks have the clout would like the ND fans.

The existence of the BE at this level going forward is not guaranteed.

Reactions: SHUSource
This guy is just another no-name out there throwing crap against the wall, he has ZERO knowledge and credibility. His math doesn't add up. Twitter/X sucks.

ND with its new NBC contract ($50 million) and its current deal with the ACC ($22 million) makes about $72 million per year. They are not going to purposely leave the ACC, pay the ACC exit fee (approx. $22 million for ND), the ACC will still own ND's broadcast rights in everything but football and hockey (GOR), and then join the Big East at a loss of $15 million per year.

If the ACC implodes, maybe then, but that would be a big loss of revenue for them, they may have better options.

This guy is just another no-name out there throwing crap against the wall, he has ZERO knowledge and credibility. His math doesn't add up. Twitter/X sucks.

ND with its new NBC contract ($50 million) and its current deal with the ACC ($22 million) makes about $72 million per year. They are not going to purposely leave the ACC, pay the ACC exit fee (approx. $22 million for ND), the ACC will still own ND's broadcast rights in everything but football and hockey (GOR), and then join the Big East at a loss of $15 million per year.

If the ACC implodes, maybe then, but that would be a big loss of revenue for them, they may have better options.
Thanks Steve for that explanation! I wondered right away about the exit costs.

There is no denying that the ACC breakup is coming. (Sans exit fees may be ruled)

NBC has been a good partner for Notre Dame Football.

It is not out of the question for NBC to solicit/sell Notre Dame (and others) a package to strengthen their (NBC) basketball programming when this league (ACC) experiences free agency. The Big EAST could provide a stronger (MSG) and familiar profile for ND while maintaining their football independence.

It would be great to have them in the BE. I'm not really following the Dollar side of it. They would make 76 million more by playing hoops in BE than by playing in B1G???

The math does not add up at all but they would almost certainly make more playing in the Big Ten than remaining independent + playing in the Big East. The B16 distribution was $60M last year per school and is likely to approach the $80-$100M mark going forward with the addition of the new schools.

Of course it's not going to happen primarily because the ACC has Notre Dame by the cathedral bells with the Exit Fee. And the Big Ten would almost certainly want ND as a full member. What's more, Notre Dame probably likes taking the $50M in TV revenue all to themselves and beating up on ACC teams 5x a year in Football, thus controlling their own destiny. With the $22M in ACC revenue they will make in the neighborhood of the Big Ten schools without the obligation of facing the murderer's row Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon etc. every year.

The math does not add up at all but they would almost certainly make more playing in the Big Ten than remaining independent + playing in the Big East. The B16 distribution was $60M last year per school and is likely to approach the $80-$100M mark going forward with the addition of the new schools.

Of course it's not going to happen primarily because the ACC has Notre Dame by the cathedral bells with the Exit Fee. And the Big Ten would almost certainly want ND as a full member. What's more, Notre Dame probably likes taking the $50M in TV revenue all to themselves and beating up on ACC teams 5x a year in Football, thus controlling their own destiny. With the $22M in ACC revenue they will make in the neighborhood of the Big Ten schools without the obligation of facing the murderer's row Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon etc. every year.
As long as they have and keep their own football revenue I couldn't care less where they go as along as it isn't the Big EAST. Mike Francesa (who I am not a fan of) once said ND wants to be Harvard during the week and Michigan on Saturday!!!!

The only way this comes close to making sense for the BE is if we're tearing up our new agreement before the ink is dry. ND is one of the few needle movers out there from a media rights standpoint.

That said SPK has already nailed things pretty well above. ND comes out less than whole in this situation which basically means it's nonsense.

The tweet makes no sense. But it's another reminder of how bad the BE TV-contract is compared to the Big football conferences.

BE teams will see about $5.5-6.5 million per year while Notre Dame will get $22 million per year for non-football sports from the ACC. ND getting paid quadruple what UConn and the rest of the BE earn for non-football sports. Brutal for the BE and why UConn will continue to look for greener opportunities.

Reactions: CL82
Notre Dame leaving money on the table by not joining BigTen.

Having said that, I don’t think an extra $20M a year means anything to ND. There’s literally nothing (from a financial perspective) that they could do after joining BigTen that couldn’t do as independent. When you have a $20B endowment the world is your oyster.

Most here were against adding Uconn.

And I am pretty sure whatever networks have the clout would like the ND fans.

The existence of the BE at this level going forward is not guaranteed.
Right uconn is an institution not like the other member schools

Norte Dame was cause of Big East break up and now will be the cause of ACC break up. They are selfish and why NBC would pay for games against Army and Navy makes no sense
ND being a Catholic University I would call it Greed , one of the Seven deadly sins !!!!

We need ratings. Even with them doing what they did we disappointed in our renewal. Imo thank God we have our 11th member. The future is not assured.
Since uconn came back, live event game ratings barely made a dent. I blame that on the broadcast partner

They buy those games because people watch
True enough. Long standing rivalries, especially with Navy. A segment of ND fans have always questioned the annual game with Navy..... promises made after WWII a large part of it... and of course the fact that it sells tickets is not a small factor. ND Navy At MetLife in October. One of the caveats in the scheduling agreement is that all Navy "home" games must be played in a pro venue. From Navy's perspective this game plus Army Navy pays for the 36 varsity sports and the many club teams they sponsor .... none of which is on the taxpayer.

Reactions: SHU AL 84
Since uconn came back, live event game ratings barely made a dent. I blame that on the broadcast partner
For what it's worth Connecticut has participated multiple top 10 rated basketball games, both college and pro, the last two years. In 2023 UConn/SDSU was the top rated game, both collage and pro. In 2024 they had the top rated men's basketball game, but were actually beaten out by three women's games, including UConn/Iowa.

Previously, Connecticut women's basketball broadcasted their games on SNY, the Met station. In the next contract deal they wrapped in with the fox/TNT/NBC games. That's one of the things that bothers me a bit about our deal. Connecticut had an SNY deal that was worth over $1 million a year to the school. I'm OK with it being rolled into the biggie steel, but I don't feel like the conference got value for it.

For what it's worth Connecticut has participated multiple top 10 rated basketball games, both college and pro, the last two years. In 2023 UConn/SDSU was the top rated game, both collage and pro. In 2024 they had the top rated men's basketball game, but were actually beaten out by three women's games, including UConn/Iowa.

Previously, Connecticut women's basketball broadcasted their games on SNY, the Met station. In the next contract deal they wrapped in with the fox/TNT/NBC games. That's one of the things that bothers me a bit about our deal. Connecticut had an SNY deal that was worth over $1 million a year to the school. I'm OK with it being rolled into the biggie steel, but I don't feel like the conference got value for it.
I am speaking specific to regular season on fox sports family of networks. Significant good match up games have been on the broadcast network and were not even top 10 viewership across a weekend.

I am speaking specific to regular season on fox sports family of networks. Significant good match up games have been on the broadcast network and were not even top 10 viewership across a weekend.
I think that more of a reflection of Fox Sports than of Uconn. Viewers still don’t think of it as a go-to sports network.

If you're on FS1 or FS2 You're not going to get the ratings that the same game would get on ESPN. Those ratings are about to get worse on Peacock.

Agreed on undervalued CONN women TV money but thinking long term, how long until Geno calls it a day? I know he signed a five year deal but that makes him 75/76 at the end of the contract. Really old to be coaching hoops. Very difficult for anyone to step in and achieve the same results as Geno. You want to be the guy that follows the guy. Think Tenn, ND, etc. Not sure about what the UCONN women are going to be without the Geno mystique.

There was a list online at one point listing the highest rated big east games this past year. I forget the specifics but Uconn was up there a bunch. As you would expect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT