ADVERTISEMENT

NY Post lobbies for D Hurley at SJU

From the article:

This is what matters: He has a record, at two different places, of halting the negative momentum that losing brings to basketball teams and completely turning that around. Some of the solutions are tiny. Some are massive. All go into putting the bricks and mortar in place toward crafting something that will last. And if his last name were Smith, Jones or O'Malley, that record would speak on its own merits.

Wagner was 5-26 in 2009-10; within two years, the Seahawks were 25-6, and Hurley was imported to Kingston, R.I., to have whack at a Rhode Island team that had fallen into distress at 7-24. The Atlantic 10 is a different monster than the Northeast Conference, nothing is turned around right away, yet in three years the Rams have improved to eight, 14 and this year 23 wins. And are set up to be an upper-division force for years to come.

That is no accident. That speaks to a coach whose knowledge of what qualities allow for sustainable success is the equal of an extraordinarily high basketball IQ. It speaks to someone who spent a couple of years as an assistant at Rutgers early in his career learning exactly how not to run a high-level basketball program, and then spent 10 years coaching at Newark's St. Benedict's Prep, learning how things really work on the other side of the recruiting game, learning how to win a lot, too.

NY Daily News also lobbying for Danny Hurley:

The Red Storm is coming off its second NCAA Tournament appearance in five seasons, but it doesn't look like there will be much in the way of players awaiting Lavin's replacement. The senior backbone is graduating, sophomore guard Rysheed Jordan is almost certainly bolting and junior center Chris Obekpa is a complete unknown. That sure sounds like a rebuilding project. Hurley knows those. He has turned two hobbled programs - Wagner and Rhody - into sustainable winners.

Hurley is extensively connected in the New York/New Jersey high school and AAU scenes from his time coaching at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark. St. John's would allow him to court the best players in the area. Hurley's father, Bob Sr., is the Hall of Fame coach at powerhouse St. Anthony in Jersey City. Dan told The News earlier this season that he hoped one day to be able to recruit players out of his father's program. With the Storm he could.

NYDN

I am sure both Hurley's are really taking their time deciding their next move, both are hot names and in more than decent spots now. You move to the wrong program and you are done and I think they have that choice now and the choices will improve if they continue their success.

Danny -- RI is a very nice job in the A-10, they have a beautiful new building and pay quite well. A move to SJU may pay him more ( don't think much more if RI decided to step up ) and may be more difficult to succeed. I also think a high level A-10 job is now very close to most Big East jobs.

Bobby -- Buffalo is a tough gig, but they also have a surprisingly nice on campus facility, I also think a lot of the players were recruited from the prior coach ( Reggie Witherspoon ). I would figure most schools would like to see a bigger sample size.

These guys both have leverage, hope they use it well.

Originally posted by PMB Pirate:
I am sure both Hurley's are really taking their time deciding their next move, both are hot names and in more than decent spots now. You move to the wrong program and you are done and I think they have that choice now and the choices will improve if they continue their success.

Danny -- RI is a very nice job in the A-10, they have a beautiful new building and pay quite well. A move to SJU may pay him more ( don't think much more if RI decided to step up ) and may be more difficult to succeed. I also think a high level A-10 job is now very close to most Big East jobs.

Bobby -- Buffalo is a tough gig, but they also have a surprisingly nice on campus facility, I also think a lot of the players were recruited from the prior coach ( Reggie Witherspoon ). I would figure most schools would like to see a bigger sample size.

These guys both have leverage, hope they use it well.
People need to start understanding the bolded part of your post. While St. .John's might be considered more "prestigious" than Rhode Island, it doesn't have the prestige that it once did. No Big East program does.

I think there are two separate and off-setting effects:

1) at a conference level, a "Big East job" doesn't carry the same weight it once did

2) at a school level, however, many of the individual jobs are actually better than they've been since the 1990s as TV exposure and NCAA bids are much better in the NBE than they were in the old BE where the Syracuses, UConns, Louisvilles and Pitts suffocated the Catholic schools

Originally posted by SHUMA04:

1) at a conference level, a "Big East job" doesn't carry the same weight it once did

2) at a school level, however, many of the individual jobs are actually better than they've been since the 1990s as TV exposure and NCAA bids are much better in the NBE than they were in the old BE where the Syracuses, UConns, Louisvilles and Pitts suffocated the Catholic schools
That's a very fair definition of where a BE HC job fits now.

Originally posted by HALL85:

Originally posted by SHUMA04:

That's a very fair definition of where a BE HC job fits now.
Fair point. It also means that you're not going to see coaches like Boeheim, Calhoun, Pitino, Carnesecca, Huggins, and JT II who retire at their schools. Perhaps Jay Wright will retire at Villanova, but he already has quite a few years in. Now the best BE coaches will be looking to move up to bigger jobs. The Xavier coaching job is probably the blueprint for the new Big East: have a coach in place for a few years, and then replace him once he's had a few years of success. They've been fortunate (and smart) to make several good hires in a row. But as we all know, hiring a new coach every five years can be a crapshoot,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT