ADVERTISEMENT

The St. John's Post Sports Section

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Is it me or do the Johnnies have a story every day in the NY Post?

Seems like Zach B is serving as the PR arm for the Red Storm. (Much more than a St John's "beat writer.")

Now he has an exclusive text service to NY Post Sports + subscribers. As they used to say back in the day, they're getting a lot of ink.

The impact of Pitino runneth over in sports media. Somehow I don't see any coverage for the Hall hoops this winter. Gotta win to get attention in the Metro NY/Nj area this year.

St. John's with Pitino is a lot more interesting than it previously was, and certainly more so than Seton Hall. As a result, it generates clicks/readership. It's that simple.
Exactly. And it is the NY Post. Not a NJ outlet. Braziller covers different sports, but he is the main college basketball guy, and that seems to be what he likes to cover the most. What do folks think is going to happen when Pitino comes on board?

Reactions: HallLine69
Brazilier was a big fan of Willard's. They got along famously. But once Willard left I rarely saw him in the pre/post game area.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Is it me or do the Johnnies have a story every day in the NY Post?

Seems like Zach B is serving as the PR arm for the Red Storm. (Much more than a St John's "beat writer.")

Now he has an exclusive text service to NY Post Sports + subscribers. As they used to say back in the day, they're getting a lot of ink.

The impact of Pitino runneth over in sports media. Somehow I don't see any coverage for the Hall hoops this winter. Gotta win to get attention in the Metro NY/Nj area this year.
Your favorite NJ newspaper also has an exclusive text service for Rutgers sports. news. It's actually pretty common.

After Berman left the Post they seemingly moved Zach to cover the Knicks last season. He was filing daily articles, attending Knicks practice and even traveling on road trips. Now they’ve hired Stefan Bondy as the Knicks reporter so I assume Zach will go back to the college beat more regularly.

The NY Post + service has been around for a few years.

Last edited:
Zach was pining for Pitino for many months before he got the job. Wrote some scathing articles about Mike Anderson.

Pitino knows how to engage fans and use the media to build excitement. Seton Hall, on the other hand, tends to treat basketball information as top secret and begrudgingly deal with media.

NYC will buzz for the Johnnies if Pitino does what many think he will do. You could feel it in the 80s all over Manhattan.

Reactions: Piratz
For SHU to get coverage its simple. Just win.
The NJ outlets should cover us extensively if we do well. We are one of the two biggest college basketball programs in the state. I don't know why they wouldn't for purposes of generating "clicks". The NY Post? Who knows and who cares. Zach does give us coverage at times and did so under Willard too, but it is always going to pale in comparison to the coverage a remotely-relevant SJU team is going to get. And SJU with Pitino is an entirely different animal from an interest perspective.

The Post (and the Daily News) generally cover Seton Hall out of necessity. In our best years, they've provided solid coverage but those were very different times.

We've been good in recent years so they might be more likely to send somebody across the river to cover a game. Otherwise it's an AP recap of the game if we're lucky.

For all intents and purposes we might as well be Fordham, LIU and Manhattan compared to SJU. The latter is the only college basketball program that the city papers cover with any regularity.

This isn't news but as the printed newspaper continues to decline in relevance they will continue to consolidate their resources on what they believe their readers care about.

They really wouldn’t. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy with the Ledger, regarding SHU, Devils and Red Bulls and other colleges that are not Rutgers.

They provide meaningless coverage, so fans are conditioned not to read it. Hence, no clicks. And no corresponding coverage.

And much of their Rutgers coverage revolves around trying to be controversial to generate clicks. Who needs that if you are a fan?

Kevin Manahan, the guy who manages their sports coverage, also isn’t one to admit that he was wrong.

So even if the team wins, don’t expect corresponding coverage. It’s not their style.

Reactions: Piratz and SOBO1
Dan was Zach at media day this year?

If he wasn't that would be very telling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT