ADVERTISEMENT

NYPD Officer Killed

Pirata

All American
Dec 21, 2009
Tragic. 22 year old officer dead. 27 year old officer in critical condition.

The response will interesting to watch. Could be a tipping point for NYC. I don't think this one will be treated as a one-off.

I can't envision visiting the city anymore. Not worth the risk.

Police Commissioner is a cop's cop. Mayor is an ex cop, but seems to have gone over to the politically correct side.

Adam’s needs to figure this out quickly as it is out of control. Four cops shot within three days and multiple other high profile/tragic crimes in recent days, things seem to be getting worse.

As less attention by media is spent on Covid, these stories will get more air time as well, which could have real affect on NYC at a time when it needs workers and visitors to return to the city.

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done in the short term to fix this and it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Think about it…
- There was a mass exodus of NYPD over the past two years….500%.
- They have had to lower the standards to replace those cops who have departed. So you have an inexperienced police force with a lower bar to begin with.
- The most logical place to start is to reverse some of the insane polices (bail reform), But good luck with that. And you have a district attorney that is suggesting that you can’t arrest people for resisting arrest.
- A significant amount of wealth is exiting the city. The top 5% has either left completely or taking up residence in other states for six months and a day to avoid the tax burden that is bad and will only get much worse. It’s called smart money for a reason…save on their taxes and and half as much money being spent in the local economy because they’re not there. The pandemic has created the opportunity where working remote is now much more acceptable. 1 in 7 jobs vs 1 in 60 pre-pandemic.

This is not a 9/11 situation where the city rebounded once the fear subsided. The money never left the city….now it has and will continue to do so. Remote work is enabling people to leave expensive cities. Once they leave, why would they come back?

Honestly who would sign up to be a police officer with the disrespectful nature our society has turned?

There is no respect for any authority and criminal behavior is not only normalized but glorified in some areas of our America cities.

For 35K a year to lose my life? No thank you.

Good luck to the people of NYC.

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done in the short term to fix this and it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Think about it…
- There was a mass exodus of NYPD over the past two years….500%.
- They have had to lower the standards to replace those cops who have departed. So you have an inexperienced police force with a lower bar to begin with.
- The most logical place to start is to reverse some of the insane polices (bail reform), But good luck with that. And you have a district attorney that is suggesting that you can’t arrest people for resisting arrest.
- A significant amount of wealth is exiting the city. The top 5% has either left completely or taking up residence in other states for six months and a day to avoid the tax burden that is bad and will only get much worse. It’s called smart money for a reason…save on their taxes and and half as much money being spent in the local economy because they’re not there. The pandemic has created the opportunity where working remote is now much more acceptable. 1 in 7 jobs vs 1 in 60 pre-pandemic.

This is not a 9/11 situation where the city rebounded once the fear subsided. The money never left the city….now it has and will continue to do so. Remote work is enabling people to leave expensive cities. Once they leave, why would they come back?

Well said. Who could blame anyone in the NYPD for leaving when they got zero support and were vilified for the last eight years? Those in the NYPD today are far better men and women than me. I could never do it. God bless them.

Honestly who would sign up to be a police officer with the disrespectful nature our society has turned?

There is no respect for any authority and criminal behavior is not only normalized but glorified in some areas of our America cities.

For 35K a year to lose my life? No thank you.

Good luck to the people of NYC.
Fortunately, there are still communities that value the work law enforcement does. Anecdotal story, but several weeks ago local police officer in Allentown died after a long term bout with cancer. He was beloved by the entire community (35% of which is Hispanic) that he served and the local newspaper ran a front page story on him. During the George Floyd protest I asked the president of the local NAACP chapter how community relations were in the city. He shared with me that the community and police had always taken care of problems together behind the scenes. He said over the years there have been problem police officers but he felt they were always addressed satisfactorily because the community and police leaders work together. They invite police into the schools at an early age.

Adam’s needs to figure this out quickly as it is out of control. Four cops shot within three days and multiple other high profile/tragic crimes in recent days, things seem to be getting worse.

As less attention by media is spent on Covid, these stories will get more air time as well, which could have real affect on NYC at a time when it needs workers and visitors to return to the city.
You would hope but if they're not talking about covid we'll hear about January 6th and why the borders of Ukraine are vital, but borders here are bad,.

Giuliani rep damaged in 2020 election but his playbook should be used.He led cleanup of a worse mess than currently exists in NY which led to his national fame.

Reactions: mountain25
This has been so sad to see the deaths of these officers. It is a reminder of how danger can lurk around every corner in even a routine call. The normal citizen do not realize the stress policing is especially in big cities.

On the positive, Mayor Adams looks like he is going to address some of the bad reforms DeBlasio had. Plain clothes cops back, stop and frisk back and presumably done in a constitutional way. I would assume body cams would help with this issue. More importantly, addressing the miserable bail reform which essentially releases most criminals pending trial.

Can't remember where I read or heard more on this. Apparently, the two officers were responding to the domestic dispute and the third was supposed to act in an observation type role since the other two were very junior. And then we know what happened. This is also likely what I mentioned above...mass exodus of police in the last two years, so we have inexperienced officers being rushed to the streets.

Remember back when the "defund" crowd wanted social workers to respond to these situations. If that were the case, we'd probably have three dead officers. Police work is dirty and unpredictable....impossible to apply AI to criminal behavior.

Adams is saying the right things, but he's working against a lot of inertia with idiots like AOC and BLM pushing back. The headline last night that he was focusing resources on "high crime" areas. Let me guess which neighborhoods and when does the pendulum swing back quickly accusing the police of targeting minorities.

Agree that before you do anything, you need to start with bail reform and have it be meaningful otherwise they will be pissing away more money with no results.

If Adams wants to win some public support along with the rank and file, he should denounce this type of rhetoric.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/blm-chapter-fumes-about-shot-cops-being-deemed-heroes/

Reactions: SHUMA04 and SHUSA
I can’t imagine a more ignorant public release speaking about cops being murdered. Pretty Disgraceful. I think Adams has the political will to do what is needed.

Reactions: Pirata
RIP man policeman are heros. theres no risk of being shot daily at my job. this is the job they chose, to make us safe

Reactions: SHallguy2
This has been so sad to see the deaths of these officers. It is a reminder of how danger can lurk around every corner in even a routine call. The normal citizen do not realize the stress policing is especially in big cities.

On the positive, Mayor Adams looks like he is going to address some of the bad reforms DeBlasio had. Plain clothes cops back, stop and frisk back and presumably done in a constitutional way. I would assume body cams would help with this issue. More importantly, addressing the miserable bail reform which essentially releases most criminals pending trial.
Instead of getting citizens to realize how difficult and stressful policing is, the media shows normal citizens when they think the police are wrong. Politicians and activists swarm to those situations. Is it any surprise what normal citizens think of policing?

Reactions: SHallguy2
I think his death stuck a nerve.

22 years old. Fresh on the force. Naïve perhaps.
Local kid who wanted to help other youths aspire to greater heights
Married a couple months.

Responding to a domestic, which in essence is a woman pleading for help because a violent boyfriend is about the beat the crap out of her.

My dad was an NYPD Detective in the 70s. He often said, "people hate the cops until they need one"

The widow showed tremendous courage to speak at his funeral. Most would choose to sit that one out.

rivera-55.jpg

I think his death stuck a nerve.

22 years old. Fresh on the force. Naïve perhaps.
Local kid who wanted to help other youths aspire to greater heights
Married a couple months.

Responding to a domestic, which in essence is a woman pleading for help because a violent boyfriend is about the beat the crap out of her.

My dad was an NYPD Detective in the 70s. He often said, "people hate the cops until they need one"

The widow showed tremendous courage to speak at his funeral. Most would choose to sit that one out.

rivera-55.jpg
The sight of all the officers was amazing. Her speech was remarkable. Unfortunately now change has to happen. The issue in a democrat run state is funding comes from a lot of people who are pro this terrible bail reform, anti police, and everything that comes with it. So now DA Bragg has been put on notice, but what the hell does that mean? Is he going to crack down or is he going to be tough on this one case let everything else continue to slide? Will the governor really lay the law down on him? We will see but I'm not hopefully.

I love Oliver Stone's JFK movie. I think courtroom quote Kevin Costner says rings true. "You know, going back to when we were children, I think that most of us in this courtroom thought that justice came into being automatically, that virtue was its own reward, that good would triumph over evil. But as we get older we know that this just isn’t true. Individual human beings have to create justice and this is not easy, because the truth often poses a threat to power and one often has to fight power at great risk to themselves."

So very sad, the shooter was not satisfied with just killing her husband, he walked up and fired additional shots at close range into his head. The streets lined with uniformed police was really something to see. The advantage right now is on the criminals side. As hard as it is to do this job they now have to worry if they will offend anybody as well. Worked 6 weeks one summer in the Newark jail during college break. Early 80’s people were shooting out the windows of correction officers cars. I was scared to death every day going to work. Bad summer college job but something I will never forget. We should all get to see the faces of murderers, rapist, felons to better understand a policeman’s job.

Unfortunately, the people get hurt are the ones The supposed social justice warriors are trying to advocate. 550 gun homicides in Philadelphia last year. Over 98% of the victims were black. And who committed those crimes? And let’s tie one arm behind law-enforcements back to prevent and solve this from happening.

Even if you reverse these policies, it will take over a decade to stop the death spiral.

Reactions: SHUSA
Unfortunately, the people get hurt are the ones The supposed social justice warriors are trying to advocate. 550 gun homicides in Philadelphia last year. Over 98% of the victims were black. And who committed those crimes? And let’s tie one arm behind law-enforcements back to prevent and solve this from happening.

Even if you reverse these policies, it will take over a decade to stop the death spiral.
Stop sending police officers. Send social workers. It will solve everything.

Biden’s trip to NYC was a yawn…ghost guns…smh.

Nothing about bail reform, judicial reform, enforcing the current laws as LEO hands are tied, public responsibility. Crime is up in just about every category in NYC in January YOY by a lot, and last year was a disaster.

Biden’s trip to NYC was a yawn…ghost guns…smh.

Nothing about bail reform, judicial reform, enforcing the current laws as LEO hands are tied, public responsibility. Crime is up in just about every category in NYC in January YOY by a lot, and last year was a disaster.
Maybe as others said above, society caters to fools?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT