ADVERTISEMENT

Only A.I. was better

Yes. I have said that since his senior year.

Not everyone agrees and I understand that. But I feared him almost as much as any player I have ever seen at the Rock.

I personally don’t give Jalen Brunson enough credit for how good he really is/was.

I am going to give a shout-out to Chris Thomas, former Notre Dame PG as one of the league’s all time best. Still 2nd all time in career assists and a great scorer as well.

Yes. I have said that since his senior year.

Not everyone agrees and I understand that. But I feared him almost as much as any player I have ever seen at the Rock.
Brunson only played 3 seasons at Villanova.

Turned pro after his junior season and national title.

Plus, he willingly played behind Arch his frosh year when he was better.
Brunson started 39 out of 40 games that year. He played 24 mpg. Phil Booth cut into some of his minutes off the bench.

While we are at it let’s not slight Ryan here. He was a senior coming off of BE POY the year prior, finished 2nd team All-BE and NCAA tournament MOP that final season.

Brunson turned out to be the better player but Ryan was no slouch in college either.

Reactions: Harty9
Brunson started 39 out of 40 games that year. He played 24 mpg. Phil Booth cut into some of his minutes off the bench.

While we are at it let’s not slight Ryan here. He was a senior coming off of BE POY the year prior, finished 2nd team All-BE and NCAA tournament MOP that final season.

Brunson turned out to be the better player but Ryan was no slouch in college either.
Arch was great. Brunson was better the day he stepped on campus. Not meant as a slight to Arch but more a compliment to Brunson. He deferred alot that year to the upperclassmen.

I am sorry but I think that Pearl Washington was a better point guard than Jalen Brunson. They both played three years, but Pearl averaged more points 15.7 vs. 14.4, rebound 2.7 vs. 2.5 and more assists 6.7 vs. 4.7. The Pearl electrified whatever gym he walked into in college. He is probably one of the players that helped grow the popularity of the league and like Brunson he was the straw that stirred the drink. My point guard ranking for the Big East would be as follows:

Iverson
Washington
Brunson
Holloway
El Amin

One of the many hard-fought SHU-Villanova battles came on February 28, 2018.

Brunson had an off-night. 14 points on 6-15 shooting including 0-4 on threes. But over the last four minutes of regulation and overtime, he made five of six shots -- two of which gave Villanova five-point leads in the final 90 seconds of OT -- and scored 12 of his 14 points in that span. He capped the night off with two late free throws to close out Villanova's scoring in a 69-68 win.

While it wasn't as dynamic as Myles Powell's explosion against Kentucky at MSG, it was every bit as efficient and effective.

One of the many frustratingly close losses for Seton Hall against Villanova in recent years.

Ill take pearl the college player. If not the best, the most important. He ewing and mullin are the foundation of the league

And am i remembering right, that in one nova game at home when we were forced to foul him and he missed the front end. Amazing good luck for us. Did we win? Did that really happen lol.

Reactions: Jerry1992
Ill take pearl the college player. If not the best, the most important. He ewing and mullin are the foundation of the league

And am i remembering right, that in one nova game at home when we were forced to foul him and he missed the front end. Amazing good luck for us. Did we win? Did that really happen lol.
No, we didn’t win. Painful, that was the OT game referred to above. Carrington went to the line for two shots and about 10 seconds left In regulation. He missed the first, made the 2nd and finished 9/10 from the line.

No, we didn’t win. Painful, that was the OT game referred to above. Carrington went to the line for two shots and about 10 seconds left In regulation. He missed the first, made the 2nd and finished 9/10 from the line.
Basically the one thing Brunson did wrong the last 10 minutes of the game.

Taken from the AP game story:

Carrington had a chance to give Seton Hall the lead when he went to the line for two free throws with the Pirates trailing 52-51 with 11.6 seconds to play. He missed the first and made the second.

Villanova called time out with 9.1 seconds to play in regulation to set up a final shot but Seton Hall denied Brunson the ball and Donte DiVincenzo's 3-pointer just before the buzzer never looked good.

The Wildcats seemingly had the game within their grasp when Brunson hit a short jumper in the lane for a 50-49 lead and Bridges scored on a layup seconds later after Miles Cale turned the ball over with 44 seconds to play.

Carrington closed the gap to a point with two free throws with 36 seconds to go. The Pirates were then forced to foul four times to get Nova into a 1-and-1 situation and Brunson made the plan work out, missing his free throw with 23.6 seconds to go.

Carrington had a chance to end the Wildcats streak but missed his opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBP43
Me personally, I'll take Brunson's win at all cost efficient play over the flash and dash of Pearl Washington every single time.

I saw both careers and Pearl's play help put the Big East on the college BB map. but IMO Brunson was the better player.

When the Knicks stole him from the Mavs I was thrilled beyond belief. Nothing he is doing at the highest level is a surprise. He got screwed last season not making the all star team. That's not happening this year.

Reactions: ceballoj and LBP43
Basically the one thing he did wrong the last 10 minutes of the game.

Taken from the AP game story:

Carrington had a chance to give Seton Hall the lead when he went to the line for two free throws with the Pirates trailing 52-51 with 11.6 seconds to play. He missed the first and made the second.

Villanova called time out with 9.1 seconds to play in regulation to set up a final shot but Seton Hall denied Brunson the ball and Donte DiVincenzo's 3-pointer just before the buzzer never looked good.

The Wildcats seemingly had the game within their grasp when Brunson hit a short jumper in the lane for a 50-49 lead and Bridges scored on a layup seconds later after Miles Cale turned the ball over with 44 seconds to play.

Carrington closed the gap to a point with two free throws with 36 seconds to go. The Pirates were then forced to foul four times to get Nova into a 1-and-1 situation and Brunson made the plan work out, missing his free throw with 23.6 seconds to go.

Carrington had a chance to end the Wildcats streak but missed his opportunity.
I loved Carrington-- think he is one of most under-rated SHU Players -- shame I too remember his miss more than I should

I loved Carrington-- think he is one of most under-rated SHU Players -- shame I too remember his miss more than I should
If we win that game we'd have likely moved from an eight seed in the NCAAT to a seven.

That potentially would have meant going to Nashville to play Texas and Cincinnati or Pittsburgh to play Oklahoma and Duke. Instead we got a second-round game against Kansas in Wichita.

If we win that game we'd have likely moved from an eight seed in the NCAAT to a seven.

That potentially would have meant going to Nashville to play Texas and Cincinnati or Pittsburgh to play Oklahoma and Duke. Instead we got a second-round game against Kansas in Wichita.
How about not losing to Rhode Island without their two best players.

Or to a Rutgers team that finished 15-19.

Or have another 2-6 swoon with losses to two teams that were 13-10 heading into those matchups. (Marquette and GTown)

Loved that particular team, but they only have themselves to look in the mirror at as to why they got stuck playing the 1 seed in their backyard.

That team should have easily been a top 4 seed line. Don’t get me started again, but these are examples of why certain fans were disappointed with Willard at times. Some fans highiight that season as him getting his first NCAA tournament win and hanging with Kansas. Others believe that should have been a sweet sixteen type team.

How about not losing to Rhode Island without their two best players.

Or to a Rutgers team that finished 15-19.

Or have another 2-6 swoon with losses to two teams that were 13-10 heading into those matchups. (Marquette and GTown)

Loved that particular team, but they only have themselves to look in the mirror at as to why they got stuck playing the 1 seed in their backyard.

That team should have easily been a top 4 seed line. Don’t get me started again, but these are examples of why certain fans were disappointed with Willard at times. Some fans highiight that season as him getting his first NCAA tournament win and hanging with Kansas. Others believe that should have been a sweet sixteen type team.
I agree with you. I didn't feel like going through chapter and verse, yet again.

That was one tangible moment related to the threat.

Me personally, I'll take Brunson's win at all cost efficient play over the flash and dash of Pearl Washington every single time.

I saw both careers and Pearl's play help put the Big East on the college BB map. but IMO Brunson was the better player.

When the Knicks stole him from the Mavs I was thrilled beyond belief. Nothing he is doing at the highest level is a surprise. He got screwed last season not making the all star team. That's not happening this year.
How was he stolen? I mean they paid big FA offer to get him

Because Dallas could have matched it or tried to sign him before free agency. Imagine a backcourt of him and Luka Doncic. Either player can score 30-40 points on a given night.

The two questions of course are

1. Chemistry as both are ball dominant guards. They would have to each sacrifice a little of their games. Sort of (as a Knick fan) like Walt Frazier and Earl the Pearl Monroe did when the Pearl was traded to the Knicks which resulted in the teams (only) two championships.

2. Neither guard is a quality defensive player so that would be an issue.

Because Dallas could have matched it or tried to sign him before free agency. Imagine a backcourt of him and Luka Doncic. Either player can score 30-40 points on a given night.

1. Chemistry as both are ball dominant guards. They would have to each sacrifice a little of their games. Sort of (as a Knick fan) like Walt Frazier and Earl the Pearl Monroe did when the Pearl was traded to the Knicks which resulted in the teams (only) two championships.

I mean they have kyrie

This comes down to the brunsons aaron mintz and cuban...portion of all the stories you likely find the truth in it all.

Dan, we both our getting old and our memories are failing us Monroe only played on the second championship team. He actually was a Bullet during the first one.

Reactions: Halldan1
Yeah, that's right it was Dick Barnett.

Still, the point remains the same. Monroe and Frazier sacrificed their games for the good of the team. Rarely do you see that anymore when so many concentrate on their brand over team.

Dallas didn't have to imagine a backcourt of Luka and Brunson. They had it.

Yes, the Knicks stole him from Dallas. The NBA did find they tampered with Brunson (to be fair that probably happens with everybody but the league felt compelled to act here) though I do think he wanted to be in NY.

Hiring Dad as an assistant and having Leon Rose's son as his agent might have helped steer him there too.

Yeah, that's right it was Dick Barnett.

Still, the point remains the same. Monroe and Frazier sacrificed their games for the good of the team. Rarely do you see that anymore when so many concentrate on their brand over team.
Fall back baby. Shocked you made that mistake my friend. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT