ADVERTISEMENT

Ot helluva sports night

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Altuve 3 run walkoff - now THAT is a walkoff, ariz 3 in 8th to win , to tie up the series. And in between hughes scores in OT on awesome goal for the devils after they let NYI tie it up in the last minute.

Altuve 3 run walkoff - now THAT is a walkoff, ariz 3 in 8th to win , to tie up the series. And in between hughes scores in OT on awesome goal for the devils after they let NYI tie it up in the last minute.
And now Arizonas comeback vs the Phil’s….

Not an actual walkoff but an incredibly clutch homer for sure. Their closer still had to stop Texas in the bottom of the 9th and he came close to blowing it. The baseball LCS's have been absolutely outstanding to watch this year

Baseball is a different sport when the intensity is on in these series versus the often meandering 6-month 162 games. Especially in how the game is played now. Was less start historically.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Not an actual walkoff but an incredibly clutch homer for sure. Their closer still had to stop Texas in the bottom of the 9th and he came close to blowing it. The baseball LCS's have been absolutely outstanding to watch this year
Baseball is a different sport when the intensity is on in these series versus the often meandering 6-month 162 games. Especially in how the game is played now. Was less start historically.
I often wonder if baseball would be better off playing less games .Right nowMLB teams get 10 scheduled days off in a season that runs from April to mid- October and likely cut down on injuries especially to pitchers…

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz
I often wonder if baseball would be better off playing less games .Right know MLB teams get 10 scheduled days off in a season that runs from April to mid- October and likely cut down on injuries especially to pitchers…
And when they play less people will be crying when Judge doesn't reach 62. Baseball is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Personally I love 162 games unfortunately I just wish there were less teams. Too many guys that don't belong in the show. But the business side of things says the more teams the better. Less teams, the better the 5th starter would be on every team, less weak bullpen guys, etc.

Reactions: ryebread
Call me old school but I like the 162 game season. It is like reading a book you have available every day in the summer even if you just want to check out a few innings/chapters.

And October baseball hits different. The pitch by pitch intensity is awesome.

Reactions: U-Hall
Call me old school but I like the 162 game season. It is like reading a book you have available every day in the summer even if you just want to check out a few innings/chapters.

Call me old school, and I'll keep from cursing, but how the hell do you not bunt down 1 run in the 9th inning 1st and 2nd nobody out, your leadoff hitter up. That's where the game has gone rogue. Simple strategy. Now maybe they walk Seager to set up the double play, but Pressley now has more pressure with each pitch with a runner on 3rd as opposed to second. The game has become so much about the big hit vs simply putting extra pressure on the defense. For as intense and as great of a game as it was, it's tough to watch stupidity.

So many ways a guy can score from 3rd and not 2nd. errors, balks, wild pitch, passed balls, infield hit, squeeze play, sac fly. Tough to watch. Simple old school baseball was ignored and quite possibly bit them in the ass.

Reactions: shu09
And even the analytics guys endorse on some level the bunt with first and second, down 1, and nobody out, especially late game.

That is a great metaphor. For all the s**t baseball takes from critics, I still love it.

Call me old school, and I'll keep from cursing, but how the hell do you not bunt down 1 run in the 9th inning 1st and 2nd nobody out, your leadoff hitter up. That's where the game has gone rogue. Simple strategy. Now maybe they walk Seager to set up the double play, but Pressley now has more pressure with each pitch with a runner on 3rd as opposed to second. The game has become so much about the big hit vs simply putting extra pressure on the defense. For as intense and as great of a game as it was, it's tough to watch stupidity.

So many ways a guy can score from 3rd and not 2nd. errors, balks, wild pitch, passed balls, infield hit, squeeze play, sac fly. Tough to watch. Simple old school baseball was ignored and quite possibly bit them in the ass.
they missed a similar opportunity in the 8th. 1 or 2 insurance runs would have been huge. But they opted not to bunt with runners on 1st and second and no one out after the HBP. Pretty dumb.

Just goes to prove that the big money spenders like the Yankees , Mets , Padres and Dodgers Don’t automatically wiin it all.
True but it’s not like these are low payroll teams. The Rangers, Phillies and Astros are all in top 7 payroll.

Last edited:

I think Bruce Bochy is an old school as they get in today's game.

While your thinking isn't wrong, on the other hand you have your leadoff hitter who hit .276 with 73 extra base hits and drove in 100 runs at the plate. A guy who hasn't sacrificed successfully since 2018.

Now, you're going to take the bat out of his hand and ask him to get one down in about as big a spot as you have? And then potentially take the bat out of Seager's (the AL batting champion) hand for a rookie with 94 total MLB at bats and Travis Jankowski?

BTW, it's not like Semien didn't hit the ball hard or the Astros SS didn't make a play to prevent a hit.

I think Bruce Bochy is an old school as they get in today's game.

While your thinking isn't wrong, on the other hand you have your leadoff hitter who hit .276 with 73 extra base hits and drove in 100 runs at the plate. A guy who hasn't sacrificed successfully since 2018.

Now, you're going to take the bat out of his hand and ask him to get one down in about as big a spot as you have? And then potentially take the bat out of Seager's (the AL batting champion) hand for a rookie with 94 total MLB at bats and Travis Jankowski?

BTW, it's not like Semien didn't hit the ball hard or the Astros SS didn't make a play to prevent a hit.
With all due respect and I like Bruce Bochy....He had 200 days with this player, he didn't work on bunting during those 200 days. Shame on him. Yes sign me up for the #3 hitter with the bases loaded 1 out. If you're that worried about his limited at bats, he shouldn't be batting 3rd. Clearly his time in the show isn't that concerning to Bochy.

With all due respect and I like Bruce Bochy....He had 200 days with this player, he didn't work on bunting during those 200 days. Shame on him. Yes sign me up for the #3 hitter with the bases loaded 1 out. If you're that worried about his limited at bats, he shouldn't be batting 3rd. Clearly his time in the show isn't that concerning to Bochy.
You don't know if Bochy and his staff did and didn't work on bunting with Marcus Semien.

We can clearly agree to disagree but I'd rather take my chances with first and second and nobody out with the AL regular season hits leader followed by the AL regular season batting champion in that spot. Different spot in order or different players, sure I'd bunt.

That's two guys with more than 330 hits, more than 60 homers and nearly 200 RBI between them with one more shot if they don't do the job than a September callup (as talented as he is) and a journeyman role player.

You don't know if Bochy and his staff did and didn't work on bunting with Marcus Semien.

We can clearly agree to disagree but I'd rather take my chances with first and second and nobody out with the AL regular season hits leader followed by the AL regular season batting champion in that spot. Different spot in order or different players, sure I'd bunt.

That's two guys with more than 330 hits, more than 60 homers and nearly 200 RBI between them with one more shot if they don't do the job than a September callup (as talented as he is) and a journeyman role player.
Productive outs are underrated so much it’s sad as well as putting additional pressure on the defense. Weak grounder to second tonight. Harper busts it down the line and causes a misplay by the second baseman. Crazy things happen when you put additional pressure on the D. Back to last night, Get a man on third and put it in the back of Pressley’s mind to worry about throwing one wild. Maybe it eliminates a pitch from the arsenal. Maybe that eliminates the inner portion of the plate because he can’t afford to hit a guy.

Yes those guys are good but still make outs more than 65% of the time. Give me 2 productive outs and tie the game. Semien 0-4 yesterday before the at bat and batting .170 or so this series.

Reactions: shu09 and garyshu71
We've talked on here many times on how the game is changed. Productive outs, more action on the basepaths, valuing contact at the plate, etc. The game will improve (and shorten) when teams get back to that. It's no longer taught the way it was on lower levels too, it's remarkable.

We've talked on here many times on how the game is changed. Productive outs, more action on the basepaths, valuing contact at the plate, etc. The game will improve (and shorten) when teams get back to that. It's no longer taught the way it was on lower levels too, it's remarkable.
It will only happen when the big money teams pay for those type of players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT