ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Love the olympics

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
My first memory is Wilma Rudolph. Then in 64, Don Scholander. Never fails. Even had the cold war. Kip keino, frank shorter, carl Lewis, flo jo. Bolt, now Lyles. Al oerter. Ledecki and phelps. Nadia, Retton and simone. 100 i am omitting. And the two most heroic sports perfomances i have seen, strugg and years earlier, a Japanese gymnast, both doing their routine severely injured so their team could medal . The swimming is always great, and i love listening to rowdy gaines.

Last edited:
My first memory is Wilma Rudolph. Then in 64, Don Scholander. Never fails. Even had the cold war. Kip keino, frank shorter, carl Lewis, flo jo. Bolt, now Lyles. Al oerter. Ledecki and phelps. Nadia, Retton and simone. 100 i am omitting. And the two most heroic sports perfomances i have seen, strugg and years earlier, a Japanese gymnast, both doing their routine severely injured so their team could medal . The swimming is always great, and i love listening to rowdy gaines.
Boy that brought back some memories for this old dude. Remember the great boxing - including the Cuban Teofilo Stevenson. Or Dave Wottle running the 800 in his ball cap (so much for aerodynamics). Or Mark Spitz with his moustache - must of slowed him down. Jim McKay on the call. Up close and personal vignettes with athletes. The Eastern European block weightlifters. This has been the first Olympics I've watched in a long time. Been fascinating to watch.

Boy that brought back some memories for this old dude. Remember the great boxing - including the Cuban Teofilo Stevenson. Or Dave Wottle running the 800 in his ball cap (so much for aerodynamics). Or Mark Spitz with his moustache - must of slowed him down. Jim McKay on the call. Up close and personal vignettes with athletes. The Eastern European block weightlifters. This has been the first Olympics I've watched in a long time. Been fascinating to watch.
Oh Yeah, Spinks, Spinks and Sugar Ray. Dave Wottle - I was trying to remember if Fosbury got famous in the Olympics or on wide World of Sports. Valery Brumel (used to love the US/USSR dual meets in the 60s too). The great pole vaulters.

Funny, but this is the first one I have been tuned in on for a while too.

Reactions: CT Pirate and batts
I’m totally addicted every four years. I guess it’s every two, although the winter never seems quite as good to me. Gymnastics, swimming, volleyball, track, ping pong, archery. Give me all of it.

Oh Yeah, Spinks, Spinks and Sugar Ray. Dave Wottle - I was trying to remember if Fosbury got famous in the Olympics or on wide World of Sports. Valery Brumel (used to love the US/USSR dual meets in the 60s too). The great pole vaulters.

Funny, but this is the first one I have been tuned in on for a while too.
Ah but there will be one pole vaulter who stands above them all from this years Games....he wont be a medal winner....at least not officially, but I think he has achieved Olympic stature in other ways....lol

The 1976 US Boxing Team's performance was my favorite moment. My friends and i watched The Spinks brothers and Sugar Ray beat heavily favored boxers. Leon and Sugar Ray both fought Cuban knock out artists who knocked out their prior several opponents before the finals. Leon came out sluggging early on and appeared totally unconcerned about being knocked out. The Cuban actually hurt Leon in round 3 which must have pissed him off royally because Leon then knocked the Cuban out face first on the mat. . Sugar Ray was a little more cautious but eventually found out that his opponent had no answer for his left hook. Sugar Ray scored his left hook at will against the Cuban throughout the fight knocking him down a few times. A 19 year old Michael Spinks outboxed a veteran Russian fighter who I think was the reigning champ in their weight division. Michael scored a TKO against the Russian. The only bummer that day was Stephenson knocking out our heavy weight, John Tate.

These fights are on Youtube if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
olympics are simply the best. helps to be a fan of a large population country. does it get any better than jason lezak all time come back to preserve phelps 8/8 gold medal bid and directly shut up the french opponent who talked smack.

best moment in history.

Reactions: Seton75
Track & field always my favorite but one daughter excelled in gymnastics so that became a draw too. Edwin Moses dominating run of Olympics sticks out for me. Loss to the Russians in men’s basketball still stings as much as the 89 NCAA loss.

The U.S. boxing team mentioned above (Sugar Ray and the Spinks brothers) was special too, but the best memory was Cassius Clay winning gold and watching the mastery of Cuban Teofolo Stevenson.

The Magnificent Seven was special too. Moceanu, Miller, Dawes, Strug, Chow, Phelps and Borden. Meeting them on the post Olympic tour…I think I enjoyed it as much as my 8 year old daughter.

Beach volleyball is a great watch. Kerry Walsh and Misty May Trainor. And while I am rooting for the US Women this year, I so wanted the Italians to keep playing:).

Reactions: Seton75 and batts
I'm loving the Games, too. Having them in Paris is very special. Rowdy Gaines started to wear on me a bit, but I suspect that's a minority opinion.

Track & field always my favorite but one daughter excelled in gymnastics so that became a draw too. Edwin Moses dominating run of Olympics sticks out for me. Loss to the Russians in men’s basketball still stings as much as the 89 NCAA loss.

The U.S. boxing team mentioned above (Sugar Ray and the Spinks brothers) was special too, but the best memory was Cassius Clay winning gold and watching the mastery of Cuban Teofolo Stevenson.

The Magnificent Seven was special too. Moceanu, Miller, Dawes, Strug, Chow, Phelps and Borden. Meeting them on the post Olympic tour…I think I enjoyed it as much as my 8 year old daughter.

Beach volleyball is a great watch. Kerry Walsh and Misty May Trainor. And while I am rooting for the US Women this year, I so wanted the Italians to keep playing:).
I have no memory of Ali in the Olympics for some reason.

The polevaulter who won, whoa. I remember them breaking 16 ft lol.

Nor do I. But then I hadn't been born in 1960.

For that matter, he wasn't Ali then anyway, he was still Cassius Clay.

I remember the first guy to break 16 feet was John Uelses. He was among the first to use a fiber glass pole and there was much controversy about its use. Also, remember the guy whose backwards leap over the High Jump bar was so revolutionary...Dick Fosbury. They called it the Fosbury flop and now it's the way everybody high jumps. I just love the Olympics.

Reactions: Seton75
I remember the first guy to break 16 feet was John Uelses. He was among the first to use a fiber glass pole and there was much controversy about its use. Also, remember the guy whose backwards leap over the High Jump bar was so revolutionary...Dick Fosbury. They called it the Fosbury flop and now it's the way everybody high jumps. I just love the Olympics.
I looked up the evolution of the pole vault record and saws Uelses name. Remember the US/USSR dual meets they used to have on wide world sports in the early 60s - back when steroid cheating by the commie bloc was rampant, glad they cleaned things up lol.

They thought Fosbury was a nut.

How about that 1500 last night. Seemed kinda odd to see a swede talking shit in the interviews, and then our guys put him in his place. What a race. That and the 100 Lyles won are all timers. And our girl from Union Catholic, Ms McLoughlin-Levrone, and the 200 winner, Gabby Thomas

I looked up the evolution of the pole vault record and saws Uelses name. Remember the US/USSR dual meets they used to have on wide world sports in the early 60s - back when steroid cheating by the commie bloc was rampant, glad they cleaned things up lol.

They thought Fosbury was a nut.

How about that 1500 last night. Seemed kinda odd to see a swede talking shit in the interviews, and then our guys put him in his place. What a race. That and the 100 Lyles won are all timers. And our girl from Union Catholic, Ms McLoughlin-Levrone, and the 200 winner, Gabby Thomas
The 1500 was awesome. The smack talker I believe was a Norwegian who was the pre-race favorite.

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone….wow!! Talk about dominance. Great NJ story!
She is amazing and favorite. The only other competitor close is Bol from Netherlands. Expecting an exciting race later today. Men’s 200 is must watch too.

Reactions: HALL85
Don’t forget the Bud Greenspan films from the 60s and 70s that gave a special, lasting appreciation to the whole notion of the Olympics where now we get NBC turning it into a TV show aiming for non-sports fans.

I can still recall the Greenspan film about Abebe Bikila. That was special stuff.

Reactions: HALL85
I have to admit, I am loving the Snoop pieces. I was not expecting to like them but I was won over. Some of the other stuff has been weak.

She is amazing and favorite. The only other competitor close is Bol from Netherlands. Expecting an exciting race later today. Men’s 200 is must watch too.
Incredible performance! Dominant again. World record. Expected more of challenge from Bol. Didn’t happen. New Jersey and Union Catholic are proud again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT