ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Zach Wilson

HallLine69

All World
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2001
A couple of weeks back I posted that I had given up on Zach Wilson. Several posters took me to task for that sentiment. I now double down on my post. He is not an NFL quarterback. Today he stunk and afterwards he took zero responsibility for it. In fact, he blamed the weather. If the Jets win it is rarely if ever due to Zach Wilson.

A couple of weeks back I posted that I had given up on Zach Wilson. Several posters took me to task for that sentiment. I now double down on my post. He is not an NFL quarterback. Today he stunk and afterwards he took zero responsibility for it. In fact, he blamed the weather. If the Jets win it is rarely if ever due to Zach Wilson.

Fortunately I did not see the Jets game today as I opted to go to Seton Hall vs Wagner. If I watched the end of the FB game there is no doubt that I would have kicked in the TV screen.. Yes the Jets do have a really good defense, but Wilson is just terrible. He reminds me of Knoblach or Steve Sax of Yankees. Could not throw from 2B to 1B. Wilson can't throw a short pass. Maybe it's time to change QB's. for Jets. The Jets have had a surprisingly good season, but it is not because of Wilson but rather in spite of him.

Tom K

wilson has a noodle arm. talk about cream puff passes those things float for like 10 seconds. is his arm strength that bad? idk how he doesnt have more picks

I can't believe Jets had only 2 offensive yards in the second half. Must be a record. Not sure anyone left on the Wilson bandwagon (besides his Mom's friends of course 😃).

I sat through the entire game and it is hard to describe how awful Zach was. He overthrew/under threw 4-5 swing passes (one was to Mimms the tallest receiver on the Jets and he barely got a fingertip on it). He had wide open crossing routes that he overthrew by 5 feet. He had two dropped interceptions. I've seen high school qb's throw better. And then to blame the weather when Mac Jones was 22 for 27 passing. Not only was Zach an embarrassment on the field, his after game presser was even worse.

Fortunately I did not see the Jets game today as I opted to go to Seton Hall vs Wagner. If I watched the end of the FB game there is no doubt that I would have kicked in the TV screen.. Yes the Jets do have a really good defense, but Wilson is just terrible. He reminds me of Knoblach or Steve Sax of Yankees. Could not throw from 2B to 1B. Wilson can't throw a short pass. Maybe it's time to change QB's. for Jets. The Jets have had a surprisingly good season, but it is not because of Wilson but rather in spite of him.

Tom K
I made the same decision and I’m glad that I did. The Jets with their stout defense may be able to win games with a game manager at quarterback, much like the early Mark Sanchez/Rex teams. The problem is Zach Wilson isn’t a game manager. Hell, he may not even be a starting quarterback.

Reactions: metalpirate07
The biggest thing was his reaction after the game. When asked if he let his defense down he said no in the presser. Word is that he has totally lost the locker room and any respect of his teammates.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
I could not, for the life of me, understand the fuss about Wilson coming out of BYU. It was always pretty clear to me that he would not be a good NFL quarterback. They'd have been better keeping Darnold if it were a binary choice.

(Of course, I also said Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning, but that was a long time ago!)

Zach Wilson only made things worse after brutal Jets game​

By Brian Costello

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Jets lost a heartbreaking 10-3 game to the Patriots on Sunday when Marcus Jones returned a punt 84 yards with 26 seconds left in the game for a touchdown to stun them. Here are some thoughts and observations from the game:

1. Robert Saleh has a very delicate situation on his hands. It felt like Zach Wilson lost the locker room on Sunday. Wilson played terribly, completing nine passes for 77 yards. Then, he compounded the problem by taking no accountability following the game. Wilson should have been screaming to anyone who would listen, “This is on me.” Instead, when asked if he felt like he let the defense down, he said, “No. No.”

The frustration in the postgame locker room was palpable. Garrett Wilson let it come out. Quinnen Williams declined to speak to the media. Others looked like they were biting their tongues. This has been brewing for a while. Even when the Jets were on a four-game winning streak, it felt like they were winning around Wilson not because of him. It felt unsustainable and it has been against Bill Belichick and the Patriots, who have now handed the Jets two losses in three games.

Saleh must now navigate this and bring his locker room together. The second-year coach needs to pull his quarterback aside and tell him there needs to be more accountability.

Some are going to call for Mike White. I don’t think we’re there yet. The Jets have shown they can win with Wilson. Every week is not going to have Belichick on the opposite sideline on a windy day in Foxborough. Those were difficult conditions to play in. It is not like Mac Jones lit up the stat sheet. The Jets can ride with Wilson longer, but Saleh might open the door that he would consider a quarterback change to light a fire under Wilson. So far, Saleh has been defiant that he won’t consider a change at quarterback.

Saleh must see the big picture here. He can’t be a prisoner of the moment like media and fans, who have gone from killing Wilson after the first New England game to singing his praises after the Buffalo win back to killing him again after Sunday.

The Jets drafted Wilson No. 2 overall to be their franchise quarterback. Benching him is essentially pulling the plug on that thought. It has major ramifications. But Saleh now has a problem in his locker room. The defense is playing great. They only allowed a field goal on Sunday and lost. The wide receivers are all unhappy about how many passes they’re getting. Veterans are looking at a season when they could make a playoff run but are being held back by one player. Everyone is looking at Wilson right now as the problem. Saleh has to handle this carefully or things could get really messy.

2. There is no question that Zach Wilson is the biggest issue the Jets have right now, but he is not the only issue. The offensive line is getting banged up and it showed on Sunday. Guard Nate Herbig, who has been playing well, went through warm-ups but could not play due to a shin injury. That led to Dan Feeney starting. That meant the Jets were down to their third-string right guard and fifth-string right tackle with Cedric Ogbuehi starting there again.

The line finally showed some pain from those losses on Sunday. If you remove the yards Wilson gained on scrambles, the Jets had 20 rushes for 33 yards. They can’t win like that and Wilson won’t be able to thrive without a running game.

On the left side, Duane Brown looked like he was hurting at the end of the game. In the locker room, he took a while to get his pads off and several teammates stopped by his locker to compliment him on gutting it out.

The good news for the Jets is Max Mitchell is practicing and can be activated off of IR soon. George Fant was on a side field on Friday and looks like he is getting closer. Herbig should be back next week.

The Jets need reinforcements on the line.

3. The other guy the Jets miss – like really, really, really miss – is Breece Hall. Something struck me during the bye week. The Jets tweeted out a video of their top 10 plays from the first half. Three of them were big plays from Hall – a long catch against the Dolphins, a long touchdown run against the Packers and a long touchdown run against the Broncos. When Hall tore the ACL in his left knee in Denver, the Jets offense lost a huge element. Hall was a walking big play. Saleh would call him their home run hitter. Right now, the Jets are struggling to hit singles.

It is hard to rely on long drives in the NFL – 10-, 12-, 14-play drives. You need someone who can break one for a touchdown every once in a while. That was Hall for the Jets. They miss him desperately right now.

4. The sky is falling again, just like the last time the Jets played the Patriots. Everyone needs to take a breath. Jets fans would have signed up for 6-4 after 10 games. Remember that. The Bears, Lions and Jaguars are all still on the schedule and are games the Jets should win. They also can win against the Vikings, Bills, Seahawks and Dolphins. They have shown that. This team can still finish with 9-10 wins and that is a huge step forward. If they miss the playoffs, it will now be disappointing but you have to look at this from 50,000 feet. The Jets were 4-13 last year. They have won six games in the last two years. If they finish with a winning record, that is a huge step forward for the organization. They already have given you hope for the future with a strong defense and a good, young core forming from the last two draft classes. So, yes Sunday’s loss was a gut punch and Zach Wilson should worry you, but there are other positives that you need to remind yourself of after that one.

That is my therapy session.

Revealing stat​

Joe Flacco still leads the team in touchdown passes despite not playing for the last two months. Flacco has five touchdown passes in three games. Zach Wilson has thrown four in seven games.

Surprising snap count​

WR Garrett Wilson played all 50 snaps on offense. It is rare for a wide receiver to play 100 percent of the snaps. Part of it is the low play count, I’m sure, but it also shows how much trust the coaches now have in Wilson.

Game ball​

DE John Franklin-Myers was a beast in this game. He got to Mac Jones twice, getting a ½ sack each time to finish the game with one sack. He also had three tackles. The defensive line dominated in this game and Franlkin-Myers led the way.

This isn’t just a bad game. Zach Wilson isn’t the answer. Pick whichever clip below and tell me he gets it. This is no longer about saying you are what your record says you are. The Jets clearly have an outstanding Defense on the field and are being held back by their quarterback.

This isn’t just a bad game. Zach Wilson isn’t the answer. Pick whichever clip below and tell me he gets it. This is no longer about saying you are what your record says you are. The Jets clearly have an outstanding Defense on the field and are being held back by their quarterback.

Oh. My. Goodness. This makes Sam Darnold look elite. Not good. If he doesn’t play better next week, Saleh has a tough decision on his hands. The Jets being at home may even make it worse. The boos will come reigning down if he doesn’t succeed on his first drive.

To Saleh’s credit, he has already announced he’s not decided who starts at QB next week. The report I read said Saleh was especially unhappy with Zach Wilson’s post-game comments.

From Mark Sanchez to Geno Smith the Sam Darnold and now to Zach Wilson. We go from bad to worse, to even worst and now to worst. Sanchez looks like Tom Brady compare to Wilson.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
What you look for in a QB is leadership, the ability to process what he sees on the field and the ability to. deliver the ball and Wilson is lacking in all three and is not the answer for the Jets.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
Sam Darnold junior ghosts and all.
Darnold's career was sabotaged by terrible rosters and some of the worst, inept coaching in NFL history. He was Gased.

There is no such thing as a sure-fire guy -- we've seen enough of those fail to meet expectations for one reason or another -- but a reasonable person could watch Darnold at USC and conclude that he would be a very good NFL quarterback.

There was no good reason ever to think that about Wilson.

I was never a fan of Wilson but he makes Chad Pennington look like he had a gun of an arm compared to his. And at least Pennington was a player. Wilson seems to be totally lost every other game. A Bellicheck defense can do that but he missed wide open plays one after the other Sunday.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
Darnold's career was sabotaged by terrible rosters and some of the worst, inept coaching in NFL history. He was Gased.

There is no such thing as a sure-fire guy -- we've seen enough of those fail to meet expectations for one reason or another -- but a reasonable person could watch Darnold at USC and conclude that he would be a very good NFL quarterback.

There was no good reason ever to think that about Wilson.
Joe Douglas did Darnold no favors either. He pretty much let him wither on the vine as collateral damage while waiting for Woody to can Gase.

Wilson, on the other hand, goes on Douglas' report card. If his next QB choice works out as well, he won't get another chance.

Reactions: LBP43 and SHUSource
Douglas built a pretty good team considering that they have no useful QB. As to Darnold seems that he is always on the injury list. What has he done with Carolina that is positive ? I might also note that at USC he was always turnover prone, yet the experts all had him as their #1 choice. Same for Wilso who was rated at #2 to Lawrence. Fact is only about 33% of first round picks at QB become stars while about 33% are total flops. Yes, the Jets record at picking QB's is just not very good and this predates Douglas.

Tom K

Douglas built a pretty good team considering that they have no useful QB. As to Darnold seems that he is always on the injury list. What has he done with Carolina that is positive ? I might also note that at USC he was always turnover prone, yet the experts all had him as their #1 choice. Same for Wilso who was rated at #2 to Lawrence. Fact is only about 33% of first round picks at QB become stars while about 33% are total flops. Yes, the Jets record at picking QB's is just not very good and this predates Douglass.

Tom K
Sam Darnold was given no chance --no Oline and less Coaching--- at least he had receivers that wore Receiver numbers; Perriman ; Hogan; Smith; Herdon; Malone; Enunwa -- and lets not start on the RBs;

Zach Wilson must grow up if he wants to reshape Jets career​

By Mark Cannizzaro

There’s only one way to go from here for Zach Wilson.

Up.

As in, grow up.

On the field, the Jets 23-year-old second-year quarterback can’t play much worse than he has, most recently in Sunday’s crushing 10-3 loss to the Patriots, against whom he was positively anemic.

Off the field, Wilson has much to repair inside his own locker room after his stunning refusal to shoulder accountability for the terrible performance in New England, breaking one of the oldest unwritten rules in the sport that the quarterback points the finger at himself and protects his teammates.

So, now having rankled some of his teammates, particularly on defense, how Wilson reacts from here will begin to shape not only the rest of his (and the Jets) season but the rest of his career.

For Wilson, who’s revealed concerning tendencies of immaturity, entitlement and even a smugness (recall last week’s comment, “Nobody outside this building knows what they’re talking about’’), this is a true pressure point early in a career he hopes doesn’t flame out after only a few years.

If Wilson is ever going to become the player the Jets drafted him second overall out of BYU last year to be, he’s going to respond this adversity — his ill-advised lack of postgame accountability and head coach Robert Saleh on Monday revealing that the quarterback job is possibly up for grabs — with some newfound maturity.

The belief here is that Wilson will start against the Bears Sunday at MetLife Stadium, but that he’ll be on a short leash should he continue to struggle with backup Mike White warming in the bullpen.

“The honeymoon period is over for Zach, and the sooner he recognizes that and understands what he has to do and gets some humility about himself, the better off he will be,’’ former Jets guard and current ESPN analyst Damien Woody told The Post Tuesday. “He’s got to understand this ain’t Provo, Utah. You’re in the New York City market. This is a tough market, people have high expectations, people don’t take BS and they will eat you alive. You’ve got to be a tough-minded guy.’’

Woody, for one, is fascinated to see how Wilson reacts to all of this.

“This will be critical for him,’’ he said. “If he can handle it and come out on the other side of this, he’ll become a better quarterback for it.’’

Woody, who when he played for the Jets was a team leader who was very dialed into the pulse of the locker room, was critical of Wilson in the aftermath of his postgame skirting of blame Sunday.

“But I don’t want to crush the kid,’’ Woody said. “He’s a 23-year-old young man who made a mistake after the game. I don’t know if that’s due to his personality or sometimes after a game, emotions are high and things happen.

“For Zach moving forward it’s got to be, ‘Somehow, some way I’ve got to get back to the basics and I’ve got to earn back the trust of my teammates.’ Because, all you’ve got to do is look on social media and clearly there are guys [teammates] who were disappointed in what he said in the postgame.’’

Woody said he thinks Wilson should start on Sunday.

“He’s the number two overall pick last year,’’ Woody said. “I know there are people that want to throw him to the dumpster, but he’s still only got a certain amount of games [20] that he’s played. As an organization it would be stupid to say, ‘We’re going to turn the page.’ That wouldn’t be fair to Zach and it wouldn’t be fair to the organization to turn the page that quickly.’’

Wilson has become a victim of the team’s surprising success this season. This figured to be a developmental year for Wilson and suddenly the Jets find themselves playing for first place in the AFC East.

With Wilson slow to develop, at the bottom of the league in almost every quarterbacking statistical category, he’s become exposed.

“In my opinion, they have a roster that can compete with anybody right now, and the only thing that’s holding them back is the quarterback,’’ Woody said. “He hasn’t developed as quickly as some of the other young guys who’ve played so well. I would tell Zach, ‘Listen, we’re all in this together. We all have to be better. Let’s take a deep breath and restart.’ ’’

How Wilson responds to a restart will shape his career one way or the other.

Nowhere to go but up.

Grow up.

According to AL Iannazzone who covers the Jets for Newsday, Wilson will be inactive for the Bears game, White to start and Flacco as the backup.

Looking at the Jets remaining schedule, their season rides on Sunday's game vs the Bears. Regardless of QB a win is essential to stay in the playoff hunt. I don't think Mike White got a fair looking at last year. He had one GREAT game and one terrible game. Let's find out which is the real Mike White. GO JETS.

Tom K

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT