ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Neptune lacks answers

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

On Wednesday, Villanova wasn’t tough enough, pushed around for the better part of 40 minutes by previously struggling St. John’s.

Three days later, it couldn’t close out a win over mediocre Butler, blowing an 11-point lead in the final 4:23 of regulation.

It was a very un-Villanova week, out-muscled one game and unable to execute in key moments the next.

Except, maybe this is what this program is at this point.

At least, this is what the Wildcats have been the past two seasons, aside from the November exception that was the Battle 4 Atlantis Classic in the Bahamas where they beat three projected NCAA Tournament teams in Texas Tech, North Carolina and Memphis, in convincing fashion.

And as the inconsistency and underperformance has piled up, the focus has intensified on coach Kyle Neptune, Jay Wright’s successor.

The answers haven’t been there for a team that was ranked 22nd in the Associated Press preseason poll and added projected impact transfers TJ Bamba (Washington State), Tyler Burton (Richmond) and Hakim Hart (Maryland) to the core of Eric Dixon, Justin Moore, Jordan Longino and Mark Armstrong.

The transfers are all having significantly worse seasons compared to last year, while Moore hasn’t been himself since missing five weeks with a sprained knee.

At times, it looks like a team without a leader, which is a pretty jarring thing to say for a group with so much experience.

It was beaten up by St. John’s on Wednesday, out-rebounded by 19 and dominated over the final 10 minutes, outscored by 15.

The loss to Butler was worse.

Villanova was up 17-3 out of the gate, and allowed a layup and a dunk at the end of regulation and the first overtime that tied the game in both instances.

Again, just not stuff you have seen from this program over the last decade. Villanova is now headed to the bubble, 11-9 overall and trending in a bad direction having lost five of the last six games.

Neptune’s biggest issue is time — he doesn’t seem to have much of it. Expectations were too high for this team to underachieve like it has. The shoes he stepped into may be too big, at least at this point in his career. A second straight season without an NCAA Tournament bid would make next year likely a make-or-break season for him — and that’s if Neptune sees next year.

Personally, I don’t think the Neptune criticism is completely fair. This is his third season as a college basketball head coach. He’s 39 years old. The problem was the hire to begin with. I get that Villanova wanted to keep it in the family, and Neptune served as an assistant for Wright from 2013-21, but this was an impossible spot for an inexperienced head coach. In Wright’s third year as a head coach, he went 12-15 — at Hofstra. He didn’t win 20 games until his fifth season.

It’s easy to fault Neptune, which so many are. The team isn’t performing up to expectations — it is one of the most disappointing teams in the country, now in danger of missing the tournament — so it’s natural to point the finger at the coach. Odds are, though, that whoever took over for Wright would struggle.

You can’t adequately replace a Hall of Fame coach. Villanova is finding that out.

Garden of dreams

Next Saturday is lining up to be a monster day at the Garden, a doubleheader featuring St. John’s-Connecticut at noon and the Knicks-Lakers in the evening.

After throttling Xavier by 43 points on Sunday, the Huskies will enter the meeting with the Johnnies No. 1 in the country.

St. John’s looks like a tournament team in Rick Pitino’s first season, and has proven to be able to play with the league’s best teams, falling by a combined six points to No. 1 UConn, No. 14 Marquette and No. 17 Creighton.

Then, there is the subplot of Pitino saying he wanted to play the Huskies at Carnesecca Arena next year, which was a way to tweak UConn and Dan Hurley. That’s not going to happen, although there is clearly a burgeoning rivalry and some underlying animosity between the two intense coaches.

St. John’s came away feeling it should’ve won the first contest between the two in Hartford, a four-point loss, back on Dec. 23. UConn star center Donovan Clingan missed that game, it should be noted................................

Well, Neptune sat along side Jay for two NCs and had one season as head coach, at Fordham where he went around .500. It as actually a good uptick for that program.

Now compare his HC experience to two recent BE hires. Hurley built St Benedict’s into a national power. Cut his teeth successfully at Wagner. Two NCAAs at URI, then UCONN. Holloway spent five years at St Peter’s and went to the Elite 8.

i’m sure the Neptune hiring was greatly influenced by Jay but the hire now seems premature. Was Neptune really ready to coach in the BE at a program like Nova?

There’s talent there but as noted elsewhere Moore looks shaky. But the coaching late at Butler was head scratching. Giving up a wide open dunk to tie at end of regulation followed by a wide open layup to tie at the end of the 1st OT! Really both of those plays were from guys driving to rim from 18 feet with the paint wide open.

They clearly don’t have the same edge on the court, the same assassin-level focus on detail and connection.

Tough replacing a HOF coach and arguably the top coach in the game when he left with a guy who had 1 year experience. Moving over a chair isn’t easy especially at a program with expectations and big NIL, unlike Fordham.

Reactions: HallB and Halldan1
The seat is hot, and NIL money is being pulled off the table. Neptune is in a difficult position, but nova has been spoiled by Jay and they know what is possible.

Reactions: Halldan1 and Piratz
The seat is hot, and NIL money is being pulled off the table. Neptune is in a difficult position, but nova has been spoiled by Jay and they know what is possible.
What’s interesting is that Ohio State flipped the script on Michigan winning the National Championship. They received more money from donors for NIL because they don’t want to see Michigan win again.

Losing improved their NIL apparently this offseason. Not the same but interesting on how they flipped that script to court more money

You will not get any sympathy about Nova from me. Hope we kick their ass twice this year. Cannot believe all those wealthy donors are holding back . Spoiled brats and their spoiled rich kids that go there . North Jersey is full of them.I know a few myself . They had a great run of success now can't handle some downside .

You will not get any sympathy about Nova from me. Hope we kick their ass twice this year. Cannot believe all those wealthy donors are holding back . Spoiled brats and their spoiled rich kids that go there . North Jersey is full of them.I know a few myself . They had a great run of success now can't handle some downside .
Another sign of the future though with NIL. A couple of major NIL donors sour on a coach; now they have more influence.

Reactions: Piratz
Another sign of the future though with NIL. A couple of major NIL donors sour on a coach; now they have more influence.
This is a case of bandwagon donors . It's easy to give money when you are on top. Another story when you are not.

Nova alum typically put their money where their mouths are. I don’t buy they will back off from funding a competitive NIL collective, but they’re not going to give a young HC much patience either. The old saying is very applicable in Nova’s case; you don’t want to be the one to replace THE guy. Neptune was in a near impossible position when he took the job.

The problem is that there is no obvious guy out there. The Florida Atlantic HC? Eric Musselman? Not sure where Nova finds the next Jay Wright. They were very lucky to have a guy like Jay who was loyal and built the program the right way but being all about Culture.

This is a case of bandwagon donors . It's easy to give money when you are on top. Another story when you are not.
Could be bandwagon or maybe they didn’t agree with the hire and are not convinced he’s a BE coach. With money comes ego and wanting more say. There were guys who used to complain Jay was too stubborn with kids like Quinerly.

Could be bandwagon or maybe they didn’t agree with the hire and are not convinced he’s a BE coach. With money comes ego and wanting more say. There were guys who used to complain Jay was too stubborn with kids like Quinerly.
We missed out on Quinerly twice once out of H.S. and then this year we got out bid (NIL money ) .

Reactions: Halldan1
Wouldnt be the first time that the successor chosen by a long time successful coach didn’t work out. Not saying he won’t work out.

At 11-9, 4-5, they start a 2-game home stand tonight with Marquette. Providence on Sunday.

Their NET is #43 with 3 Q1 wins, but 3 Q3 losses. Bizarre team.

They better find something.

Nova alum typically put their money where their mouths are. I don’t buy they will back off from funding a competitive NIL collective, but they’re not going to give a young HC much patience either. The old saying is very applicable in Nova’s case; you don’t want to be the one to replace THE guy. Neptune was in a near impossible position when he took the job.

The problem is that there is no obvious guy out there. The Florida Atlantic HC? Eric Musselman? Not sure where Nova finds the next Jay Wright. They were very lucky to have a guy like Jay who was loyal and built the program the right way but being all about Culture.
Exactly. They could do worse.

Villanova will be fine. They’ll find a guy. Or maybe they can talk Jay into returning, IDK. Either way, it’s a top program that is only on its 4th coach in 51 years and two of those won the National Championship. They gave Jay the respect to basically make this decision on Neptune, who was a novice.

And the Lappas Era that their elitists look down on a bit now wasn’t too far off from our Willard Era. Lappas went 87-71 in the BE over 9 seasons with 7 at .500 or better, made 4 NCAA Tournaments (2-4 record), won 2 BE championships (1 BE RS, 1 BET).

Yes - it is very hard to follow a legend. I thought UCONN would be done once Calhoun retired. And outside of winning 2014 NC (lol), they looked destined for total and complete mediocrity. They then hired Hurley and rejoined the big east. And now, they are probably the best program in country (which absolutely sickens me).

Anyway, it all comes down to the man in charge. Nonetheless, so far, it appears that Neptune is over his skis. Therefore, Nova needs to be patient with him, or find the next Jay (which ain't happening).

Villanova will be fine. They’ll find a guy. Or maybe they can talk Jay into returning, IDK. Either way, it’s a top program that is only on its 4th coach in 51 years and two of those won the National Championship. They gave Jay the respect to basically make this decision on Neptune, who was a novice.

And the Lappas Era that their elitists look down on a bit now wasn’t too far off from our Willard Era. Lappas went 87-71 in the BE over 9 seasons with 7 at .500 or better, made 4 NCAA Tournaments (2-4 record), won 2 BE championships (1 BE RS, 1 BET).
Great summary. I would agree that the Nova alums and fans have the snobby act down, but when you look at those results over time and coaching stability, they are conditioned and it's reasonable that they have that high a bar for expectations. They don't lack for resources. Is it a bad thing not to settle for mediocrity when you have that history? English or any HC should know that coming in.

This sounds like the old Rutgers dissing of years past. Always thought that made us seem petty and envious.

We shouldn't be worrying about Neptune and Villanova.

well, Bob Brennan had a little influence too back then...lol

Money doesnt talk it screams - and I wish I heard more screaming here lol

• Haha
Reactions: HALL85 and Piratz
well, Bob Brennan had a little influence too back then...lol

Money doesnt talk it screams - and I wish I heard more screaming here lol
It just screams a heck of a lot harder and longer now.

Nova has a chance to right the ship tonight with MU at home. Should be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT