ADVERTISEMENT

Outraged coaches push Big Ten commissioner to punish Michigan

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Matt Ehalt

Opposing Big Ten coaches are fed up with Michigan and its alleged sign-stealing scandal.

A “vast majority” of the league’s coaches expressed their problems with the sign-stealing saga to Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti in a video call Wednesday night, according to ESPN.

The coaches urged the commissioner – while Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh was not on the line – to take action against the back-to-back defending conference champions.

“Collectively, the coaches want the Big Ten to act — right now,” a source told ESPN. “What are we waiting on? We know what happened.”

Michigan’s alleged sign-stealing operation has rocked the college football world and new details seemingly emerging each day.

The Wolverines already suspended alleged mastermind Connor Stalions, who is now being investigated for possibly posing as a Central Michigan staffer for a Michigan State game.

Stalions allegedly scouted opponents in-person, which is outlawed, and bought tickets to more than 30 opponents’ games over the last three years.

The NCAA is known for dragging its feet with potential suspensions, and it’s not surprising Harbaugh’s coaching brethren would push for swift action amid the NCAA investigation.

No. 2 Michigan is 8-0 and could return to the College Football Playoff.

Michigan still has a home game with No. 3 Ohio State and a road tilt with No. 9 Penn State on its schedule.

The coaches told Petitti how the alleged sign stealing would have helped Michigan over the last three years, and labeled the results as “tainted,” “fraudulent” and “unprecedented,” per the report.

“People don’t understand the seriousness of it,” a source told ESPN. “How it truly impacted the game plan. To truly know if it’s a run or a pass, people don’t understand how much of an advantage that was for Michigan.”

ESPN reported that Petitti, who started in May, did not tip his hand during the meeting, and the conference has the option to punish Michigan under the league’s Sportsmanship Policy.

That clause, though, is reportedly unlikely to be invoked.

“I don’t think the Big Ten understood how upset everyone was,” a source told ESPN. “The tenor of the call was asking the Big Ten to show leadership — the conference and the presidents. An unprecedented violation of the rules would require unprecedented action from the Big Ten.”

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I think death penalty would be appropriate.

I would expect Michigan to get a very bad whistle against Penn St and Ohio St. I would assume everyone involved hopes that the possible National Champion is not implicated in cheating. It is very interesting how good Michigan has been post COVID. They were awful during '21 season, and then have gone to back to back Playoffs.

This is Michigan, why does it Suprise anyone? They have been cheating in sports for years( Fab Four anyone?) and the Basketball title is certainly tainted.
Rumeal robinson yes, chris webber yes a few others yes...i am sure there will be reply here that all fab 5 took money and it was dirty recruitment. Chris webber went to a well to do prep school. Jalen was from sw detroit, juwan from chicago and 2 kids from texas. Watch the doc, read the book by albom. I did both. Mitch even says in the doc if these guys had some serious cash they certainly were not showing it.

I’m surprised that there seems to be this sentiment(not here, necessarily) out there that Michigan is invincible and will be above serious punishment, much like Kansas. One only need to look at the basketball program and what happened there. Several seasons vacated. A Big Ten Championship vacated. Two Final Fours vacated. That is some serious stuff. I’m not saying this is what should or will happen to Michigan now, but this idea that they can’t be punished is ludicrous. Michigan may be blue, but they’re not Kansas, UNC or Duke. The hammer is already raised.

First, Georgia or Alabama would wipe the floor with Michigan. Second , nothing would make happier.
You are probably right. But I would still love to see Michigan (or anybody else) spank Georgia. It's unbearable living in the Atlanta area and having to put up with the breathtaking arrogance of the Georgia fan base and the kid glove treatment they consistently get from the local media.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Georgia is an incredibly talented team that is extremely well coached. I can see why they would be proud. After all they spent huge sums to have it that way!! How would Seton Hall fans act in that situation??

I’m surprised that there seems to be this sentiment(not here, necessarily) out there that Michigan is invincible and will be above serious punishment, much like Kansas. One only need to look at the basketball program and what happened there. Several seasons vacated. A Big Ten Championship vacated. Two Final Fours vacated. That is some serious stuff. I’m not saying this is what should or will happen to Michigan now, but this idea that they can’t be punished is ludicrous. Michigan may be blue, but they’re not Kansas, UNC or Duke. The hammer is already raised.
‘89 should have been vacated as well! That championship was ours!

First, Georgia or Alabama would wipe the floor with Michigan. Second , nothing would make happier.
Over the last decade, yes. But this year, not so sure. Those programs are good but not quite at the level of recent years and Michigan is pretty loaded. I think the gap is smaller this season and Michigan might even be better.

You are probably right. But I would still love to see Michigan (or anybody else) spank Georgia. It's unbearable living in the Atlanta area and having to put up with the breathtaking arrogance of the Georgia fan base and the kid glove treatment they consistently get from the local media.
They’ve earned to be treated like the best after the past few years. Performance speaks for itself.

Over the last decade, yes. But this year, not so sure. Those programs are good but not quite at the level of recent years and Michigan is pretty loaded. I think the gap is smaller this season and Michigan might even be better.
Hard to know for sure. Michigan has been dominate this year and seems like the best team in the country, but their schedule has been really weak. Take a look at the schedule. Bad, really bad. Probably have to wait until they have played Penn State and Ohio State.

Reactions: dehere23
My take. Nothing will come of this during the season. But at its conclusion, if found guilty there will be harsh penalties. Penalties that the NCAA will try to impose on the head coach even if he leaves for the NFL.

If that happens it will be very interesting to see the feasibility of that action.

The powerhouses in college sports especially in basketball and football have escaped having harsh penalties imposed on them as far back as I can remember. Until I see that happen I have little faith that we’ll see anything more then a slap on the hands for Michigan.

Reactions: HallLine69
Hard to know for sure. Michigan has been dominate this year and seems like the best team in the country, but their schedule has been really weak. Take a look at the schedule. Bad, really bad. Probably have to wait until they have played Penn State and Ohio State.
they have been dominate, but they have played no one. Rutgers is the best team they have played, and it was at home. In addition, when you know the plays your opponent is running, it certainly helps.

Reality is the Big 10 is really bad. Outside of Ohio St and Michigan, no one is good. I am not sold at all on Penn St. I don't think James Franklin has ever won a game he was not favored to win.

Is Michigan really good or are they only good because they cheated…again…and stole everyone’s signals?

Reactions: Pirate Russ
My take. Nothing will come of this during the season. But at its conclusion, if found guilty there will be harsh penalties. Penalties that the NCAA will try to impose on the head coach even if he leaves for the NFL.

If that happens it will be very interesting to see the feasibility of that action.
I say he out runs the firing squad. Why take bullets when he can sign for millions more than he's making now. And the recruiting is over.

they have been dominate, but they have played no one. Rutgers is the best team they have played, and it was at home. In addition, when you know the plays your opponent is running, it certainly helps.

Reality is the Big 10 is really bad. Outside of Ohio St and Michigan, no one is good. I am not sold at all on Penn St. I don't think James Franklin has ever won a game he was not favored to win.
I would saying absolutely beating Nebraska and Minnesota into the ground at their homes is a better accomplishment than mopping the floor with rutgers while at home. I suppose it’s arguable, but that’s my take. Maryland would probably be the next step up. The truth is, they haven’t played anyone solid yet. All that said, Michigan was gonna beat the piss out of those three schools whether they knew the plays or not.

Connor Stalions resigns in latest twist to Michigan sign-stealing scandal​

By Andrew Battifarano and Ryan Glasspiegel

The person at the center of Michigan’s sign-stealing scandal is no longer with the university.

Connor Stalions resigned from his athletic department role Friday, the university said in a statement, after reports initially emerged that he’d been fired.

Stalions previously was suspended with pay by the school.

Stalions, a former captain in the United States Marine Corps, was accused of leading the alleged operation, and The Athletic reported he didn’t cooperate with investigations.

His attorney explained why he stepped down from his position at Michigan.

“As he informed the school earlier today, Connor chose to resign because recent stories regarding his time with the University of Michigan have created a distraction for the team,” attorney Brad Beckworth told The Athletic on Friday. “He hopes his resignation will help the team and coaching staff focus on tomorrow’s game and the remainder of the season.

“Connor also wants to make it clear that, to his knowledge, neither Coach Harbaugh, nor any other coach or staff member, told anyone to break any rules or were aware of improper conduct regarding the recent allegations of advanced scouting.”

Stalions provided his own statement to the the outlet and reiterated that he did not want to be a distraction for the school.

“I love the University of Michigan and its football program,” he told The Athletic. “And I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to work with the incredible student athletes, coach [Jim] Harbaugh and the other coaches that have been a part of the Michigan football family during my tenure,” Stalions said

In October, one Big Ten coach spoke about Stalions alleged role in the scandal.

“He spearheads the operation,” a Big Ten coach told Yahoo last month. “I once told (Stalions), ‘We know what kind of s–t you are doing and it’s f–ked up.’”

Stalions allegedly bought tickets to games inside and outside the Big Ten — including for College Football Playoff contenders — in order to scout team’s signals.

A previous report from ESPN alleged that he purchased tickets to 30 different games, at 11 different schools, over the course of three years.

Earlier this week, video emerged that allegedly showed Stalions on the Central Michigan sidelines during their game against Michigan State.

Central Michigan announced that it is investigating the matter.

Sign-stealing is not banned in college football, per se, but in-person advanced scouting has been banned by the NCAA since 1994.

“Any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited,” the rule states.

In a statement last month, Harbaugh denied wrongdoing, and claimed no knowledge of the sign-stealing scheme, saying that he hasn’t “directed any staff member or others to participate in an off-campus scouting assignment.”

“I have no awareness of anyone on our staff having done that or having directed that action,” Harbaugh added.

Other Big Ten football coaches have been pressing conference commissioner Tony Petitti to discipline Michigan in the wake of the scandal.

“Collectively, the coaches want the Big Ten to act — right now,” a source told ESPN. “What are we waiting on? We know what happened.”

Notice that neither Stalions nor his attorneys don't even hint at his innocence, so clearly it seems that he did what he was accused of doing and did so over 3 years.

Now everyone else is claiming innocence including of course Harbaugh a known bender of the rules. But to me a simple question is what was done with these 30 some illegal scouting reports? Obviously if this was perpetuated that long those reports were clearly serving a purpose.

I still believe nothing will be done in season. Especially as the Big Ten doesn't want to jeopardize any possible entrance into the football playoffs. But I also fully expect something will be done shortly thereafter.

Why would in person advanced scouting be banned by NCAA?This seems to be pretty normal in sports for an opponent.The NCAA has most things ass backwards This feels like a tempest in a teapot driven by the media.

Notice that neither Stalions nor his attorneys don't even hint at his innocence, so clearly it seems that he did what he was accused of doing and did so over 3 years.

Now everyone else is claiming innocence including of course Harbaugh a known bender of the rules. But to me a simple question is what was done with these 30 some illegal scouting reports? Obviously if this was perpetuated that long those reports were clearly serving a purpose.

I still believe nothing will be done in season. Especially as the Big Ten doesn't want to jeopardize any possible entrance into the football playoffs. But I also fully expect something will be done shortly thereafter.
It seems to me that Harbaugh is auditioning to be Belichek’s successor.

Doing a good job of it too…

lol

Rumeal robinson yes, chris webber yes a few others yes...i am sure there will be reply here that all fab 5 took money and it was dirty recruitment. Chris webber went to a well to do prep school. Jalen was from sw detroit, juwan from chicago and 2 kids from texas. Watch the doc, read the book by albom. I did both. Mitch even says in the doc if these guys had some serious cash they certainly were not showing it.
”Myth” Albom? Guy writes fairy tales, not journalism.

Why would in person advanced scouting be banned by NCAA?This seems to be pretty normal in sports for an opponent.The NCAA has most things ass backwards This feels like a tempest in a teapot driven by the media.
No way this is just a media-driven thing. Every school in the Big Ten is angry about this and they are pressuring the league Commissioner to do something about it.

No way this is just a media-driven thing. Every school in the Big Ten is angry about this and they are pressuring the league Commissioner to do something about it.
For starters ,we don't really know conclusively what happened yet so let's not rush to judgment.The Big Ten coaches are hardly unbiased witnesses at this point.

I'm no fan of Michigan but they're average margin of victory this year in eight games is 32 points per game.Seems like quite a reach to think whatever they did would create that type of point differential.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT