ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns as Rutgers AD

From Hobbs email announcement this morning:

After meeting with my cardiac team this week and having just been apprised of the results of my latest round of testing, it is clear that I can not continue to serve as Athletic Director given the requirements of the position. I recognize this is not the ideal timeline to depart, however, other factors need to take precedence.

• Wow
Reactions: CL82 and Piratz
Uhhhh ya think….just take a step back and think about this objectively. There are several aspects of this situation that are very strange. I’m not suggesting that the story released cannot be true but I think it would be extremely naive to think there couldn’t be more to the story here.

You sign a multi year extension just a few months ago and your doctors tell you this week it’s imperative you resign immediately? No leave of absence. No transition plan. New gets released 1PM on a summer Friday. No well wishes from RU. Etc.

Maybe this is all a coincidence, but I just wouldn’t be shocked to learn there’s more to this (i.e. Trilly post).

Regardless, I wish Pat all the best and hope for a long and healthy retirement. He’s 64 years old - that job would put a tremendous amount of stress on the heart.

Reactions: Piratz
Uhhhh ya think….just take a step back and think about this objectively. There are several aspects of this situation that are very strange. I’m not suggesting that the story released cannot be true but I think it would be extremely naive to think there couldn’t be more to the story here.

You sign a multi year extension just a few months ago and your doctors tell you this week it’s imperative you resign immediately? No leave of absence. No transition plan. New gets released 1PM on a summer Friday. No well wishes from RU. Etc.

Maybe this is all a coincidence, but I just wouldn’t be shocked to learn there’s more to this (i.e. Trilly post).

Regardless, I wish Pat all the best and hope for a long and healthy retirement. He’s 64 years old - that job would put a tremendous amount of stress on the heart.

Yeah, and as Steve Politi pointed out in his column this morning, you have a health problem and you don't take a leave of absence so you could a. keep drawing a paycheck and b. treat your health issues with State-provided health insurance. Unless he got some sort of severance, that doesn't make a ton of sense..

Someone told me once, “the best thing about telling the truth is that you only have to remember one story.”

This seems rather odd and if it turns out to be something different…really a bad look that will tarnish what appears to be a good reputation.

Yeah, and as Steve Politi pointed out in his column this morning, you have a health problem and you don't take a leave of absence so you could a. keep drawing a paycheck and b. treat your health issues with State-provided health insurance. Unless he got some sort of severance, that doesn't make a ton of sense..
Right, that’s an excellent point. Again, there are just so many angles of this that just seem extremely odd.

When I first read the story and read the comments here I thought “am I the only one that thinks none of this makes any sense?”

Reactions: HallX2
Someone told me once, “the best thing about telling the truth is that you only have to remember one story.”

This seems rather odd and if it turns out to be something different…really a bad look that will tarnish what appears to be a good reputation.
Agreed, HALL85. Although I'll assume Hobbs' statement is true, until it's not. But it would be a very bad look to cite health reasons for an immediate departure, get sympathy and well-wishes, and then learn it was a fabrication. Those tying his departure to the "gymnastics team" doesn't really say anything so it's best not to speculate.

Agreed, HALL85. Although I'll assume Hobbs' statement is true, until it's not. But it would be a very bad look to cite health reasons for an immediate departure, get sympathy and well-wishes, and then learn it was a fabrication. Those tying his departure to the "gymnastics team" doesn't really say anything so it's best not to speculate.
At the very least it’s poor PR. The statement raises more questions than it answers. Best to wait and see.

Last 3 AD, pernetti falls on sword for mike rice debacle, rutgers hires firm and then did not vet well hermann, now hobbs allows poor culture in women's gymnastics program

Reactions: TomD82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT