ADVERTISEMENT

Perfection

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Domingo German pitches fourth perfect game in Yankees history in drubbing of A’s​

By Greg Joyce

OAKLAND, Calif. — On too many occasions this month, the Yankees have needed their pitchers to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to win because of their scuffling offense.

For the first time in weeks, that was not the case Wednesday night, but Domingo German achieved perfection anyway.

German threw the fourth perfect game in Yankees history and the 24th in MLB history, dazzling as he retired all 27 batters he faced on 99 pitches with nine strikeouts in an 11-0 win over the Athletics that 12,479 witnessed at Oakland Coliseum.

German’s final offering in a six-pitch ninth inning was grounded to third base, where Josh Donaldson fielded it cleanly and fired to first before the Yankees mobbed German near the mound.

“When you think about the history of baseball and how many pitchers have done it, to be part of history now, it’s exciting,” German said through an interpreter.

AP23180163316198.jpg

New York Yankees’ Domingo Germán, center, celebrates after pitching a perfect game.
AP

What was not publicly known until after the game was that German’s uncle had passed away earlier this week.

The right-hander said he cried a lot in the clubhouse Tuesday but never had any doubt whether he would make Wednesday’s start.

“Definitely not an easy week,” German said. “At the same time, I felt like staying here with the team and doing my job and all the support they provided me to allow me to do this, they gave me the strength and support I needed to be here and stay with my team. Trying to find a way to stay positive throughout it all.”

On a night when he had his curveball working from the start — he went on to throw it 51 times and induced 12 whiffs — German was untouchable while working with catcher Kyle Higashioka.

The biggest threat to disrupting German’s historic night came in the fifth inning when Seth Brown laced a 106.5 mph ground ball down the first-base line.

But Anthony Rizzo dove to his left to snare it, then flipped to German at first base for the second out of the inning.

Pounding the strike zone throughout the night (72 strikes), German encountered just two three-ball counts — both full counts — but he did not falter.

“To see his teammates, how excited they are for him, knowing what he was going through the last couple of days, I’m so proud of him,” manager Aaron Boone said. “He’s been through so much. This has not been an easy week or time for him. For him to go out there and paint that masterpiece was really just a lot of fun to be able to watch.”

The perfect game was the Yankees’ first since David Cone twirled one in 1999, a year after David Wells recorded the first in franchise history since Don Larsen’s perfect game in the 1956 World Series.

Though German’s brush with perfection came against the worst offense in the majors this season, what made it more surprising was the fact he was coming off of two brutal starts.

In his last two outings against the Red Sox and Mariners, the right-hander was tagged for 15 earned runs, 15 hits, five home runs, and four walks across a combined 5 ¹/₃ innings.

German credited the bounce-back effort to a slight mechanical tweak he made coming into his 15th start of the season.

Stats of how Germán pitched during the game.
Stats of how Germán pitched during the game.

Across the first 14 — which included a 10-game suspension for a failed foreign-substance check in mid-May — German had flashed the tantalizing and dominant stuff that he put together for nine innings on Wednesday.

Still, nobody could have expected this.

But inside the cramped visiting dugout, they began to think it was possible around the fourth and fifth innings — which came after the Yankees spent nearly 25 minutes scoring six runs in the top of the fifth.

As the Yankees batted around, German went to the bullpen in foul territory down the right-field line and tossed a handful of pitches to stay loose.

Then, as the late innings went by quickly and German continued to mow down batters, the chatter inside the Yankees’ dugout got quieter and quieter as they bore witness to history.

“A perfect game, who does that?” Higashioka said. “You could definitely feel a little bit of tension. But I thought Domingo handled it perfectly.”

3 perfect games have happened at that venue last night was the one with highest attendance

I decided to stay home from the beach one hot summer day when I was a kid and watched the Phillies play the Mets on TV. Bunning throws his perfect game. I still say he walked Johnnie Stevenson but the ump called it a strike for the last out. (Do I have that guys name right, I think he was the Metsie's backup catcher? Memory is such an odd thing.)

EDIT. Stevenson struck out on three pitches for that last out. Strike three was a swing and miss, but strike two looked outside. There is a link on Youtube I should have attached.

Kershaw had one late (I think into the ninth) and their rented all star SS (he got hit by a pitch by a cardinal pitcher in the playoffs and then wasnt resigned) made a bad error.

And I went to get a pal one night in HS, and stepped into his house a few minutes before Jimmy Qualls got his hit against Seaver. Was that a perfect game or just a no hitter?

Last edited:
First Yankee perfect game NOT in the Bronx.

All four Yankee pitchers first names begin with a “D”.

Don Larson
David Wells
David Cone
Domingo German

Last edited:
Reactions: Hall91
Last person to throw a perfect game against the A's was Cy Young.

Kershaw had one late (I think into the ninth) and their rented all star SS (he got hit by a pitch by a cardinal pitcher in the playoffs and then wasnt resigned) made a bad erro
That’s the thing about perfect games—you need your team behind you to comply. It truly is a team effort.

The guy has had one of the strangest seasons you can imagine. From getting lit up for ten runs about a week ago, his prior ejection for foreign substance to a perfect game. As John Sterling loves to say you just can’t predict baseball.

Watched the last few innings. Really glad to see Hagashioka get the catching credit for the perfect game. Just a real good team-oriented major leaguer who comes to work everyday. Thought he was typically professional when interviewed afterward.

This perfecto should come with an asterisk, having been thrown against the AAA's.

I had tickets for David Cone's perfecto against the Expos in 1999. In fact, I still have them, unused, along with unused parking passes, in a box somewhere. It was brutally hot and humid, my back hurt, and it was only the Expos. Sigh. First Sunday game I had missed all year, too. Sigh.

Reactions: chickenbox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT