ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Open BIG EAST Softball Championships Today

Not fair BS lesser schools/conferences are ranked over them.
Unfortunately, Big East softball doesn’t compare with the SEC, Pac 12 and others. It’s another world.

SHU did get an at-large once, but that was in the old Big East.

Best to just win one game on Saturday and take care of it themselves.

Reactions: TheHall87
Unfortunately, Big East softball doesn’t compare with the SEC, Pac 12 and others. It’s another world.

SHU did get an at-large once, but that was in the old Big East.

Best to just win one game on Saturday and take care of it themselves.
Northeast softball is tough. The better talent is typically in the pac 12 big 12 and sec...michigan and northwestern have had some great success in the last two decades and hofstra has had some close calls at regionals

Smith's Grand Slam Powers Pirates Into Championship Game​

resize

Storrs, Conn – Behind a grand slam from Shelby Smith (Friendswood, Texas) and stellar pitching in relief from Kelsey Carr (Ridgewood, N.Y.), the Pirates advanced to the BIG EAST Championship Game with a 6-4 victory over No. 1 seed UConn on Friday afternoon. The Pirates will have two chances on Saturday to win the program's first BIG EAST title since 2005.

How it Happened
Each time UConn scored in this game, the Pirates immediately responded with runs of their own. The first instance came in the second inning, when an RBI double gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead. In the bottom half, Seton Hall answered right back thanks to an RBI double of their own from Hannah Alexander (Wrightstown, N.J.).

UConn would manufacture another run in the third, as a sacrifice fly gave the top seed a 2-1 advantage. The Pirates came back up to the plate ready to hit, as singles from Ashly Colonnetta (Cypress, Texas) and Taylor Hill (Little Falls, N.J.) plus a walk from Carr loaded the bases for Smith. The senior rocketed a 1-1 pitch over the wall in left field for a grand slam, giving Seton Hall a 5-2 lead.

After a scoreless fourth, UConn began to chip away at the deficit in the fifth. Three singles, including an RBI knock from Grace Jenkins, brough the Huskies back within two and chased Smith from the circle. Carr came on in relief, surrendering a sacrifice fly but getting out of the inning with the Pirates maintaining a one-run lead.

With the Huskies desperately in search of a shutdown inning, the Pirates had other ideas. After back-to-back strikeouts to open the inning, the scorching-hot hitting Smith was intentionally walked with the bases empty. The Pirates made the Huskies pay for the decision, as back-to-back singles from Abby Wingo (Portland, Ore.) and Olivia Gilbert (Johnston, R.I.) plated the sixth Pirate run of the day.

After a clean sixth, Carr went back to the circle in the seventh needing three outs to solidify the victory. Lexi Hastings led off the inning for the Huskies with a long fly ball to center field. Wingo retreated to the wall, leaped up and brought back what would have been a solo home run.

After a one-out single, Carr was able to get the final two outs to send the Pirates to Championship Saturday.

Notes & Numbers
  • The Pirates will have two opportunities to win just one game to claim the program's third BIG EAST title and first since 2005.
  • This will be Seton Hall's first appearance in the championship game since 2015, which was also the last time the Pirates qualified for the tournament.
  • Smith is batting .667 (6-for-9) with two home runs, two doubles and 11 RBI in the BIG EAST Championship so far.
  • Smith's grand slam was the fourth of the season for the Pirates.
  • Hill scored her 47th run of the season, tying her with Katie Pierce for the single-season program record.
  • Both of Gilbert's hits during this week's tournament have driven in runs, the other being her game-tying solo home run on Wednesday against DePaul.
What's Next
The Pirates will play for their first BIG EAST championship since 2005 on Saturday, with first pitch slated for 4 p.m. on FS2. The if necessary game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start time on FS1.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Not fair BS lesser schools/conferences are ranked over them.
Not sure if they use any other metric in addition to the RPI? They were listed at #97 as of 5/12. Hoping they just take care of business today and I believe they will. On the other hand are they considered a Bubble Team if they did not? I understand the RPI is about SOS, but you would hope they look at other factors. The eye test says that SHU is a decent college team, but it is hard to gauge.

What channel is it on? I went to FS2 and it's some trash USFL game.

Top of the third and the Pirates get another one across. Now up 5-0. Nice showing of Pirate faithful in the stands as well.

Worked out of first and second with no outs two innings in a row. Lead 5-0 in the top of the 5th.

I'll let everybody else post about the game and I'll just read. I don't want to toot my horn but I did post before the season to watch out for this team and that they were under rated. Congratulations to the team and coaches !!!!!!!
That is why you are fan of the year!.

Wow. Loved the pitcher's moxey. 2 on no outs two innings in a row. Nothing across. She never lost it and closed it out . So impressed. Yeah, it can be easy pitching when you are ahead but you still need to do it. Lots dont. She and her teammates did it.

I read they walked smith 2 out none on yesterday. Her first at bat today said why. We took advantage of the early opportunities. Ahead for good

So happy for and proud of the team.

Softball in East/NE is limited due to weather. Better players, for the most part, go further away to play. Some schools like KU have an indoor facility where players can practice fielding year round + batting & pitching cages.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT