ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Ranked No. 23 in United Soccer Coaches Poll

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

resize

South Orange, N.J. - The Seton Hall men's soccer team was ranked No. 23 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll released on Tuesday afternoon. The Pirates, who are off to a 3-1 start and set the program record for longest shutout streak to open a season, find themselves in the rankings for the first time since Sep. 14,2021.

The national recognition comes as the Pirates have showcased an elite defense to open the 2023 campaign. The Pirate defense, led by backline starters Sam Bjork (Huskvarna, Sweden), Rikard Cederberg (Gothenburg, Sweden), Konstantin Donalies (Bremen, Germany), and Liam Guske (St. John's, Fla.), as well as goalkeeper Mats Roorda (Groningen, Netherlands), have conceded just one goal through four matches this season. The 332:38 shutout streak set a new program mark to begin a season.

The Pirates were a mainstay in the United Soccer Coaches Poll across the 2020 and early 2021 seasons, but have yet to crack the rankings since September 2021. Seton Hall is one of two BIG EAST programs in the poll, joining No. 5 Akron, who the Pirates will face off against on Sep. 29. Fellow BIG EAST members Georgetown and Marquette are receiving votes in the rankings. Seton Hall's most recent opponent, Indiana, checks in at No. 15 in the nation.

The 23rd-ranked Pirates will head to New England this weekend to face off with Harvard on Saturday afternoon at 5 p.m.

RANKINGS

Yeah. Indiana beat us 1-0. Our d must be real good. Woke up this morn thinking i had missed the score but i dont think the outcome was posted.

Yeah. Indiana beat us 1-0. Our d must be real good. Woke up this morn thinking i had missed the score but i dont think the outcome was posted.

Glad to see it - I was at the Hall during the halcyon days of Ed Kelly and Manny Schellscheidt, with all those Big East championships.

Great memory was that freezing night we played Rutgers at their pitch (can't remember the year) and we won. Both teams were ranked and we came away with a hard fought victory.

I thought based on comments here just a year or so ago that we were totally inept with Men’s soccer. Did I misread all those naysayers?

Completely new team year over year with many transfers, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. The coach seems to really know what they are and how they need to build.

Completely new team year over year with many transfers, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. The coach seems to really know what they are and how they need to build.
Actually, almost everyone from the Final 8 team returned …. They were old to begin with, and then were older. And probably a little too complacent. But if last year was an indication, it was also hopefully an aberration.

Do you remember our elite 8 run, of recent memory? After that there was an implosion year. Last year was a very good year and we made it to NCAAs.
I remember it well. And after an E8 run the next season shouldn’t bring out the doomsayers. And I stick by my comment that there were quite a few Cassandras here.

I remember it well. And after an E8 run the next season shouldn’t bring out the doomsayers. And I stick by my comment that there were quite a few Cassandras here.
They had an absolutely awful season that fall. I’m sure the staff would even admit to it.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Coach tried some things the year after the elite 8 run and it didn’t work…. There was a lot of hype around the program and it went away after that which hurt. But the coach does know what he’s doing.
Yup he switched to a 3-5-2 if I recall correctly because he brought in some transfers and most one of his best defenders to ND.

Biggest addition to the defense I’m told is our transfer goalkeeper who is from the Netherlands and has the height you want in a goalie at 6’4”.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT