ADVERTISEMENT

Politi says

Originally posted by shu09:

Georgetown did not have to reciprocate. I'm glad they didn't because it would have cheapened Adams' moment.
How?? The fact that we blatantly gave the opposing team a free 2 points seems cheap to me. If I am Adams, I don't want "charity". Thats great we allowed him to score, but what coach refused to give us back the 2? We could have just decided to play normal defense and the kid wouldn't have even gotten a touch. If you are JT3, what do you have to lose??? The game starts out 0-0, and reciprocating would have made it 2-2. ??? What am I not getting here? What a piece of sht, typical, is he on government assistance too? Give me but don't ask me to do anything even if its fair.

story in the record says Thompson didn't know about Willard's plan beforehand - what gives?

It's happened before in college basketball. Usually the other coach isn't a dick and reciprocates.

UCONN women did this many years ago v. Villanova when an injured UCONN player needed a basket to achieve something important. UCONN then let Villanova score a basket and the game started at 2-2. Why didn't that happen yesterday?

Lack of respect given to Willard and to Seton Hall.

If a more prominent coach and BB program did the same, let's say coach K and Duke does anyone believe for one second Thompson would have acted like such an ASS!

I have always thought JTIII was one of the classiest coaches in our league...do you think it has something to do with he figures Willard will be gone so what does it matter if he showed him up or pulled that type of move?
Originally posted by Halldan1:
Lack of respect given to Willard and to Seton Hall.

If a more prominent coach and BB program did the same, let's say coach K and Duke does anyone believe for one second Thompson would have acted like such an ASS!

Coach Thompson is one of the nicest most caring Coaches out there and is very classy. Willard was putting in a show because he knows he is in hot water. He doesn't care about his own players. What Coach would let a senior player sit on the bench for the whole game in his hometown with his friends and family in attendance and not play him for even one minute? He did the same thing last year and SH was up by 20. Willard has no class, no heart and no coaching skills. I am not flaming or that other word that is used. Just stating facts.

Originally posted by BasketFan1:
Coach Thompson is one of the nicest most caring Coaches out there and is very classy. Willard was putting in a show because he knows he is in hot water. He doesn't care about his own players. What Coach would let a senior player sit on the bench for the whole game in his hometown with his friends and family in attendance and not play him for even one minute? He did the same thing last year and SH was up by 20. Willard has no class, no heart and no coaching skills. I am not flaming or that other word that is used. Just stating facts.
Well, weighing in on an emotional issue on your very first post does put your motive in question. Cannot tell who you are shilling for.

For me, if you do something magnanimous, the act is irs own reward. Period.

It was more the "willard has no class" and "doesn't care about his own players" than the fact that it was your first post but in any event you sound completely uninformed.

This post was edited on 3/8 6:58 PM by phi_pirates
c
This post was edited on 3/8 7:06 PM by phi_pirates

So only long time posters can critique, critize and bash the Coach and the players? I have been reading this board for a few years and most of you have said terrible things about Willard and the team. Now I decide to say something and you are offended.!! Willard did exactly what I said and if it embarrasses you, it should. That is the only reason you should feel so negative about what I wrote. Just recently have you subsided with bashing the players but you continue to go at it with Willard. this is a case of the pot calling the kettle-------- you have said much much worse things.

Originally posted by phi_pirates:
It was more the "willard has no class" and "doesn't care about his own players" than the fact that it was your first post but in any event you sound completely uninformed.

This post was edited on 3/8 6:58 PM by phi_pirates
c
This post was edited on 3/8 7:06 PM by phi_pirates
Eaxctly.

First post truth tellers are invariably one shot wonders. Build your cred pal befopre you shoot your wad for or against the coach.

LOL.

party0003.r191677.gif

Did you read my last post pal? First time posters are always going to be questioned but everyone has to post for their first time. You called willard classless and said he didn't care about his own players which only shows your ignorance. Calling him a bad coach? I can't necessarily disagree with that but the rest of your post undermines anything else you have to say.

This post was edited on 3/8 7:30 PM by phi_pirates

Not caring about the players, ALL players constitutes a bad Coach. It's not always about x and o stuff. Why do you think there is turmoil on his teams? Anyway. You all have a blessed Shnday evening. Peace out.

He's talking about Stephane Manga who played high school ball in nearby Maryland and whose uncle is former Hoya Victor Samnick.

Originally posted by SPK145:
He's talking about Stephane Manga who played high school ball in nearby Maryland and whose uncle is former Hoya Victor Samnick.
I figured that out but to show how mentally checked out on this season I am I didn't even realize Manga didn't play yesterday. Guy's been starting every game and all of a sudden he doesn't get a minute? Why, because the guys who were on the floor were doing so well? I guess that makes about as much sense as Sanogo playing 20 minutes vs Butler then never being seen again.

Originally posted by SPK145:
Makes sense. Everyone can hoist up a personal axe to grind. Just because the dude has a personal axe to grind does not make him the shining sourse of truth.

Anywho, thanks or connecting the dots.

I thought he played Manga more than he should, maybe the last game in front of family and friends but other wise I thought he was more fair to Manga than not. I thought Desi deserved more time on the floor.

But again it shows an interesting contrast...

Do something positive for a G'Town player and then not do something positive for a player who you've coached for 2 years.

This post was edited on 3/8 8:08 PM by shupat08

Willard was more than fair with PT for manga. Admittedly didn't know there was a 2nd "Sr. Night" situation but when is enough enough when it comes to the willard criticism? So now he has to play him minutes on the actual senior night and this quasi hometown Sr. night? Give me a break.

BasketFan1,

Personally, I see your point and am inclined to believe you that it was a show put on by a coach on the hot seat. I believe JTIII saw through it and didn't appreciate his senior night being used by Willard as such.

Thats the only way I can square the below:

1) why would Willard go ahead and foolishly spot the bucket, despite JTIII saying he wanted no part of it ahead of time

2) if JTIII told him not to do it, what right did Willard have to go ahead on JTIIIs own home court on his own senior day. Frankly, not sure that was either classy or selfless.

3) if the Georgetown players and community love this kid so much, surely JTIII is no exception

4) I am close to a childhood friend of JTIII - a guy who has10/10 class- and this guy is adamant that JTIII has great character

So, let me rephrase this as which scenario is easier to believe:

A) Willard loves Adams more than his own coach JTIII does and was willing to spot him two points despite knowing ahead of time JTIII wasn't game and wouldn't reciprocate; or,

B) JTIII saw through the gimmick planned out on his own home turf and Willard (the Suit Shmoozer) went ahead anyway to burnish his own personal standing with the admin/fans, declaring afterward that "our responsibilities go beyond just basketball"

Originally posted by SHUMA04:
BasketFan1,

Personally, I see your point and am inclined to believe you that it was a show put on by a coach on the hot seat. I believe JTIII saw through it and didn't appreciate his senior night being used by Willard as such.

Thats the only way I can square the below:

1) why would Willard go ahead and foolishly spot the bucket, despite JTIII saying he wanted no part of it ahead of time

2) if JTIII told him not to do it, what right did Willard have to go ahead on JTIIIs own home court on his own senior day. Frankly, not sure that was either classy or selfless.

3) if the Georgetown players and community love this kid so much, surely JTIII is no exception

4) I am close to a childhood friend of JTIII - a guy who has10/10 class- and this guy is adamant that JTIII has great character

So, let me rephrase this as which scenario is easier to believe:

A) Willard loves Adams more than his own coach JTIII does and was willing to spot him two points despite knowing ahead of time JTIII wasn't game and wouldn't reciprocate; or,

B) JTIII saw through the gimmick planned out on his own home turf and Willard (the Suit Shmoozer) went ahead anyway to burnish his own personal standing with the admin/fans, declaring afterward that "our responsibilities go beyond just basketball"
As terrible as it sounds, thought crossed my mind during the game and then afterwards when it was revealed that this was Willard's idea. Does he know Adams?

However, the intention means less to me than the moment, which was tremendous for that kid.

Originally posted by shupat08:
But again it shows an interesting contrast...

Do something positive for a G'Town player and then not do something positive for a player who you've coached for 2 years.
Exactly right.

the new poster may not have credibility, and he has an obvious ax to grind, but that doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth. If I'm Manga, I'm ticked. i also think other players will see through Willard and it can only damage his standing with them.

This whole situation smells off to me. Willard tried to pull a desperate PR stunt, earning praise from Fox, admin and (so it seems) the fan base. He ticks off JTIII (don't think for a second despite his public comments that he isn't annoyed). He ticks off Manga, which can't help with the other kids.

Frankly, I think the more people think about it, the more this will backfire on Willard. I've also to date bought the Willard is a good person thing unquestioned, but this has cost him character wise in my eyes.

In some ways, in its tone deaf and clumsy manner, it actually has Willard's fingerprints all over it.

+1
no axe to grind, just pointing out an injustice to a player, not once but twice.
This post was edited on 3/8 9:02 PM by BasketFan1

Originally posted by BasketFan1:
+1
no axe to grind, just pointing out an injustice to a player, not once but twice.
This post was edited on 3/8 9:02 PM by BasketFan1
Understood, BasketFan. i should have rephrased that.

Have a Blessed Sunday yourself, and best wishes to Stephane.

So I guess he did it anyway, according to SO Juice:

When asked about how it was strange Georgetown didn't reciprocate on the early game Tyler Adams gesture and then Jabril Trawick dunked the ball late with the shot clock off:

"I talked to John, I said
'I'll let the kid shoot a layup and you just give us a layup' he said
'Nah don't do that.' I'm sitting there watching and this kid gets an
NCAA waiver, Senior Night, everyone you talk to [says] he's just a great
young man. I think we have a bigger responsibility in life sometimes
than the game of basketball. I told our kids in the locker room 'We're
going to lose the tip and we're going to give them a bucket.' We haven't
been getting off to great starts, not the greatest way to start but I
think it's important to reward good people. Everything I've heard about
this young man, what he's had to fight through, has had to battle. In my
mind, I think kids should be rewarded if they're good people and to me
that was the only decision to make."

Originally posted by Piratz:

"I talked to John, I said
'I'll let the kid shoot a layup and you just give us a layup' he said
'Nah don't do that.' I'm sitting there watching and this kid gets an
NCAA waiver, Senior Night, everyone you talk to [says] he's just a great
young man. I think we have a bigger responsibility in life sometimes
than the game of basketball[/I]
. I told our kids in the locker room 'We're
going to lose the tip and we're going to give them a bucket.' We haven't
been getting off to great starts, not the greatest way to start but I
think it's important to reward good people. Everything I've heard about
this young man, what he's had to fight through, has had to battle. In my
mind, I think kids should be rewarded if they're good people and to me
that was the only decision to make."
in bold and italics is the money quote. ie the pitch Willard was making with this stunt.

Meanwhile, where was that "bigger responsibility" when Manga had all his family and friends in the crowd? Also, is he suggesting that Thompson didn't feel a "bigger responsibility" to Adams? Kind of insulting. Dumb all around, and easy to see through.

that contrast seals it for me, at least.

Basketfan1, I have to agree with everything you posted. Last year, up big at Georgetown Stephane doesn't get any playing time, when it would have meant so much to him. Five minutes of playing time would not have hurt the team. And, Manga probably would have played the game of his life.

I didn't realize he didn't get any playing time on Saturday. That too is shameful.

"I think it's important to reward good people" ... Manga doesn't play in either game in DC in front of friends and family.

That is real tough to explain after considering last season as well. Reward a Georgetown player and not your own. Another example of his poor decisions and lack of leadership skills. Unless he was hurt it makes zero sense. Two more years of these head scratching decision I guess.

No, the young man wasn't hurt, at least not physically. As Catholicman stated a few minutes playing time would not have hurt. There is no reason except as HallDan has mentioned in post awhile ago that his family are huge Georgetown fans. Is Willard that mean spirited? I would hate to think so but.......

No clue why he did not play. Only coach can explain that one. Hope he gets some minutes and contributes in BET.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT