ADVERTISEMENT

Providence’s Devin Carter Named Player of the Year - Hurley COY

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

So on the coach decision they went with excellence, on the player they went with grit and carrying a team.

Maybe the inverse would’ve netted Sha the award with one of the 2 @shu09 mentioned, lol!

Devin Carter, setting back men’s hair all the way to the days of Billy Ray Cyrus.
Tiny Troy takes issue with that statement!

l-intro-1693843962.jpg

I have no issue with Carter. I think Kadary's best is the best any player has, but he got hurt and was not at his best all the time.

They picked the wrong SHU graduate for COY.

Reactions: Turiddu
It was Newton or Baylor for me.

But I see why they landed on Carter. That team wasn't picked to be all that better than Seton Hall with Hopkins. They lose their best player, and Carter raised his game to a level I think most didn't think he possessed coming into the season. He was viewed as a defensive stalwart and solid offensive player preseason. He had to raise his game offensively to even keep that team competing for a bid once Hopkins went down.

Part of what I think played a role in this too is that all the Big East coaches seemingly love how Carter plays. How hard he goes every second he's on the floor. Cooley has waxed poetic about him all year, although that is one of his guys and I think he's recruiting him for next year. But after the Uconn/Prov game last week, you saw Hurley hugging him and talking to him for an extended period post-game. Pitino also went out of his way even after SJU beat Providence making some comment in the Braziller article about how Carter played hungrier and harder than his entire team (sure some of that is to motivate his guys, but no doubt he wanted to give the kid credit too).

Reactions: Piratz

But I see why they landed on Carter. That team wasn't picked to be all that better than Seton Hall with Hopkins.
2023-24 Preseason BIG EAST Coaches Poll
First-place votes in parentheses
RankTeamPoints
1.Marquette (7)96
2.Creighton (4)92
3.Connecticut79
4.Villanova76
5.St. John's59
6.Xavier57
7.Providence51
8.Georgetown34
9.Seton Hall30
10.Butler16
11.DePaul15

Wasn't Danny Callandrillo POY once?
Yep. 1981-82, when Seton Hall had a losing BE record. And Mamu shared it in a year we finished 5th. Nothing unprecedented here IMO.

Seton Hall has had 4 BE POY winners and 2 of them were not NCAAT teams either.

1982: Callandrillo
1993: Dehere
2020: Powell
2021: Mamu

Reactions: SHUSource

College career​

Callandrillo played college basketball at Seton Hall University, with the Seton Hall Pirates, from 1978 to 1982. While at Seton Hall, he was named Second Team All-Big East, in both his sophomore and junior seasons. As a senior, he averaged 25.9 points per game (3rd in the nation), and was named a Third Team All-American, the Haggerty Award winner, and the Big East Player of the Year, in 1982.

In his four years at Seton Hall, Callandrillo scored a total of 1,985 points. He was later inducted into the Seton Hall Pirates Hall of Fame, in 1989.

Associate Press Big East selection has Richmond and Spencer on the second team with Kalkbrenner joining Newton, Kolek, Carter, and Scheierman on its team of five. Newton is player of the year despite not being a unanimous first team pick: Carter and Kolek were. No most improved player; Spencer newcomer of the year. No center on the second team, but Dixon and Ighodaro selected as big men, surprisingly over Clinghan.

But I see why they landed on Carter. That team wasn't picked to be all that better than Seton Hall with Hopkins. They lose their best player, and Carter raised his game to a level I think most didn't think he possessed coming into the season. He was viewed as a defensive stalwart and solid offensive player preseason. He had to raise his game offensively to even keep that team competing for a bid once Hopkins went down.

Part of what I think played a role in this too is that all the Big East coaches seemingly love how Carter plays. How hard he goes every second he's on the floor. Cooley has waxed poetic about him all year, although that is one of his guys and I think he's recruiting him for next year. But after the Uconn/Prov game last week, you saw Hurley hugging him and talking to him for an extended period post-game. Pitino also went out of his way even after SJU beat Providence making some comment in the Braziller article about how Carter played hungrier and harder than his entire team (sure some of that is to motivate his guys, but no doubt he wanted to give the kid credit too).
I think it boils down to Carter having less help around him than either Newton or Scheierman.

I am truly biased so I take KR -- beauty is that no one can convince me otherwise by use of stats logic or Net/KenPom

Reactions: Seton75
I am truly biased so I take KR -- beauty is that no one can convince me otherwise by use of stats logic or Net/KenPom
Hey at least you are honest, lol. Stats. Logic. Whatever it may be. Not changing your mind!!!

Reactions: LBP43

College career​

Callandrillo played college basketball at Seton Hall University, with the Seton Hall Pirates, from 1978 to 1982. While at Seton Hall, he was named Second Team All-Big East, in both his sophomore and junior seasons. As a senior, he averaged 25.9 points per game (3rd in the nation), and was named a Third Team All-American, the Haggerty Award winner, and the Big East Player of the Year, in 1982.

In his four years at Seton Hall, Callandrillo scored a total of 1,985 points. He was later inducted into the Seton Hall Pirates Hall of Fame, in 1989.
It’s a travesty that his number hasn’t been retired. Should have been done long ago.

College career​

All time fav player and was a great person to boot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT