ADVERTISEMENT

Q & A with Jordan Walker

Fishjam

All World
Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
"It bothers me to a certain extent. I feel like I've shown people that I am among the best in the country. Regardless of ranking sites. I've killed players who were in the ESPN Top 100 list so if they are in there why aren't I?"

Gotta love this kid's confidence. When I talked to him, I got the vibe that he's not going to be scared of anything playing in the Big East. I think when it's all set and done, everyone's going to love this kid.

Jordan Walker will be a fan favorite. The kid has great skills and attitude.

Best we temper expectations and let Walker grow at his own pace. HS players, even the good ones can take time to adapt to playing at the next level.

I love his NY cocky attitude and corresponding work ethic. It will take him further than he should go given his diminutive size.

Walker will at some point be a starter. Doubtful it will be right off the bat. But the great thing is he has upper classmen ahead of him so there is no need to force feed the player. His time will come and when it does it will be because of what he does on the court once he matures.

Remember, as good as Isaiah Whitehead was, it took him almost a year and 1/2 (injury not withstanding) to become the player we all knew he would be.

The fun part of bringing in freshmen is to watch them grow.

Best we temper expectations and let Walker grow at his own pace. HS players, even the good ones can take time to adapt to playing at the next level.

I love his NY cocky attitude and corresponding work ethic. It will take him further than he should go given his diminutive size.

Walker will at some point be a starter. Doubtful it will be right off the bat. But the great thing is he has upper classmen ahead of him so there is no need to force feed the player. His time will come and when it does it will be because of what he does on the court once he matures.

Remember, as good as Isaiah Whitehead was, it took him almost a year and 1/2 (injury not withstanding) to become the player we all knew he would be.

Let's not forget that Kevin has matured as a coach since he brought in the 2014 class and the players and coaches are on the same page and that is a key element in developing young players.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Great interview and sounds like a great kid with a terrific Mom and family behind him. Love it!! Can't wait to see Jordan play for SHU and so glad he is here.

Reactions: LBP43
I know the staff is dampening expectations of Walker. But I have said this from the beginning that they won't be able to keep this kid off the court. I think the key to Walker is working on his jump shot to be more consistent to keep defenses honest. The team's offense will run better when Walker is at the pg instead of Carrington and KC slides to the 2.

Gotta love this kid's confidence. When I talked to him, I got the vibe that he's not going to be scared of anything playing in the Big East. I think when it's all set and done, everyone's going to love this kid.
Sounds like he is ready to roll. Says the coaching staff told him he could start as a frosh with four seniors. That would be interesting. Majoring in finance - seems like a true student/athlete!

Sounds like he is ready to roll. Says the coaching staff told him he could start as a frosh with four seniors. That would be interesting. Majoring in finance - seems like a true student/athlete!

"Basically start" was the quote

Kevin Willard is not telling recruits they will start. He will tell them they have a chance to start if they prove themselves worthy.

I love Walker's enthusiasm and heart. The minutes he gets will be minutes he earns. At the opening tip or more likely during the course of the game.

There was not one person here last summer, myself included, who thought that Jones would start every game for the Hall last year. But he did. Meaning he earned the right. Walker will have the same chance to do this season what Jones did last season.

Are we sleeping on this kid?..
I get the whole let's not have too high of expectations for a freshman but he's done well against all the top prospects, has an absolute filthy arsenal of offensive moves, looks like he can shoot it, and easily create his own shot, wins MVP at almost every event he's in.. my expectations are starting to rise for this guy.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Are we sleeping on this kid?..
I get the whole let's not have too high of expectations for a freshman but he's done well against all the top prospects, has an absolute filthy arsenal of offensive moves, looks like he can shoot it, and easily create his own shot, wins MVP at almost every event he's in.. my expectations are starting to rise for this guy.

Welcome to the small club on the board! I know @Seton75 and a few others including myself and @Flnj86 will agree with you!

I guess I'm a Debbie Downer and will go with the conventional wisdom that his height is going to be a big hindrance to his otherwise impressive skillset. I think he's too short and it's going to create problems for his driving game, as well as his ability to defend. You gotta have Barrett level game (and the muscles he eventually got as well) to persevere at this level when you're that little. As always, would love to be proven wrong and eat crow ad infinitum.

Last edited:
This is the quote:

Seton Hall basically told me that I could come in as a freshman and start with four seniors around me, which is actually great.

Sure, but he still did not say that the staff indicated he would start right away. Take away the word "basically" and the point would have been clear.

I guess I'm a Debbie Downer and will go with the conventional wisdom that his height is going to be a big hindrance to his otherwise impressive skillset. I think he's too short and it's going to create problems for his driving game, as well as his ability to defend. You gotta have Barrett level game (and the muscles he eventually got as well) to persevere at this level when you're that little. As always, would love to be proven wrong and eat crow ad infinitum.
I'm not buying it. Similar to kyrie, I think he's gotta be one of the best non-dunk finishers in his class... his quickness/step back move will allow him to shoot over anyone... defensively I think his quickness will create turnovers and it's Willard job to limit the amount he'll get exposed for his height (although he doesn't look to be that short to me)... I think he'll be a solid player this year and be crucial in the tournament... the following three years that walker,Sandro pick and roll will be filthy.

Past is past, but would you agree that IW would have become that great player sooner were it not for all that Sina/Gibbs baloney? IW was unduly maligned.

I don't know much more than what I read here about Walker. I have a question. If you leave him open, can hit stick the 3 pt shot? I thought the one weakness in Holloway's game was he was not a consistent 3 pt shooter and teams tended to give him some room which took away a little bit of his speed advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT