ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking New Jersey's 50 greatest basketball players

what is the ranking based on? there are clearly guys who should be higher.

its also a bit subjective in terms of being from NJ. I know Shaq was born in Newark but i think most of his bball playing days were in texas.

Eric Murdock about 35. Terry Dehere, not ranked...
Agree...seems this is an egregious oversight as he checks the "grew up here or attended high school here" box.

Lennox Dominique "Terry" Dehere (born September 12, 1971) is a former American Democratic Party politician, restaurateur, and retired NBA basketball player.

Dehere was born in New York City, and grew up in Jersey City, New Jersey, and played basketball under Coach Bob Hurley while attending St. Anthony's High School in Jersey City, New Jersey.[1] It is through this relationship that he is best friends with coach's son Bobby Hurley.

I thought maybe Politi was basing it on eventual NBA careers, but after scanning the list again, that doesn't seem to be the case, so who knows.

Agree...seems this is an egregious oversight as he checks the "grew up here or attended high school here" box.

Lennox Dominique "Terry" Dehere (born September 12, 1971) is a former American Democratic Party politician, restaurateur, and retired NBA basketball player.

Dehere was born in New York City, and grew up in Jersey City, New Jersey, and played basketball under Coach Bob Hurley while attending St. Anthony's High School in Jersey City, New Jersey.[1] It is through this relationship that he is best friends with coach's son Bobby Hurley.

I thought maybe Politi was basing it on eventual NBA careers, but after scanning the list again, that doesn't seem to be the case, so who knows.

Was Walter Dukes in there? Two time NBA all star.

Last edited:
Obviously seems the list is tilted to either what guys did in the NBA or the fact they hung around for awhile? There are many things on the list I would change...but IMO - how can Dahntay Jones be ranked ahead of Bobby Hurley who had one of the greatest college careers of all-time and NBA career was cut short by a terrible car accident?!? Jones is a career 5ppg scorer in the NBA who had 1 decent year where he averaged 10/3/2.

Slow time on a message board. :D:D:D

Still, that doesn't mean they had to do a half ass job with the list. How about putting some thought into it.

Well maybe I'm a sorry old fart but that list seems incomplete without Nick Werkman, Richie Regan and --based solely on his high school career-- John Somogyi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT