ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic expectations for all 46 Big East basketball transfers in 2024-25

The author seems pretty high on Chaunce Jenkins, and highlighted his length and his block rate. He averaged almost a block per game last year for ODU.

The author didn't seem all that high on Yacine Toumi, but I'm very intrigued by him and looking forward to seeing him play. The author doesn't see him as a starter, but I think he does start in a lot of games (depending on matchup).

If dual wants to be a pg we have a log jam at that position unless sha goes with 2 pg at once

Holloway does not prefer a ball dominant PG. Instead he wants at least 3 prime ball handlers on the court at all times, except in a special circumstance. Thus you will often see multiple points/combos on the court at the same time. Sha has a lot of options this year but not the same starting talent.

This is going to be a very interesting season.

Holloway does not prefer a ball dominant PG. Instead he wants at least 3 prime ball handlers on the court at all times, except in a special circumstance. Thus you will often see multiple points/combos on the court at the same time. Sha has a lot of options this year but not the same starting talent.

This is going to be a very interesting season.
Time will tell, but I'm not convinced Sha's model to play 10 deep will work at this level. I think it's going to be difficult to attract/retain players if they are splitting their time with someone else. That model works at St. Peter's where you're recruiting players who have no other option, but I'm not sure that model works when you're recruiting players who have other options.

How do you recruit a quality PG to share the job here when other schools are offering the fulltime job?

Players emerge even when you have depth and that’s what dictates PT. Each kid is year to year anyway now. Personally while I would love to have established veteran stars or really good players, better depth is a good thing too because we were so fortunate on the injury front last year.

Time will tell, but I'm not convinced Sha's model to play 10 deep will work at this level. I think it's going to be difficult to attract/retain players if they are splitting their time with someone else. That model works at St. Peter's where you're recruiting players who have no other option, but I'm not sure that model works when you're recruiting players who have other options.

How do you recruit a quality PG to share the job here when other schools are offering the fulltime job?
I think another reason it's easier to do at a St. Peter's is there is more of a chance your tenth player will be able to compete for more than a few minutes a game. The gap between your top players (or more importantly your opponent's top players) and your tenth guy is much smaller than at the Big East level.

Imagine if Sha tried to force feed even eight regular minutes to Tubek, Nganga, Sanders and Brown at the expense of Richmond, Dawes, Davis and Addae-Wusu. The drop-off would have been severe even if you staggered the minutes as the first four showed they weren't consistent enough to play those minutes.

I'm cautiously optimistic this group might be able to go that deep but a lot will have to go right for that to happen.

Reactions: Seton75
A couple of players will have breakout seasons. All teams experience that. The key is how many on the roster can play at the next level. None of us know that without seeing the team perform.

But, and I say this with respect...what players (yes I know) sight unseen at this point would you say cannot perform at a Big East level?

Last year just seeing one practice I knew half the team didn't belong. Now, I doubt I would say that.

A couple of players will have breakout seasons. All teams experience that. The key is how many on the roster can play at the next level. None of us know that without seeing the team perform.

But, and I say this with respect...what players (yes I know) sight unseen at this point would you say cannot perform at a Big East level?

Last year just seeing one practice I knew half the team didn't belong. Now, I doubt I would say that.
I agree. I think and also heard we may have the most solid and deepest Big East roster in years . Who will step up to be a leader or leaders and be a 1st team Big East type of player is the question . I do not see an ALPHA type player on the team now . Talk is cheap in July but fun to talk about . I am quietly optimistic and hoping for good things . GO PIRATES !!!!!!!

Reactions: mbraue
Realistically, there is no way all of the new players will be big east material that deserve 10 plus minutes.

As long as Sha recognizes that and doesn’t force sub after it is determined player A is way better than his replacement…I’ll be good with it.

If he continues to do hockey player subs into big east season for players that deserve and need more time, I doubt the St. Peter’s subbing strategy will work out. I’m obviously still disturbed by the Samuels year…

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08

the difference now is, it is hard to retain players no matter what style of play you have....so I am not sure this makes retainage any more of a challenge than anyone else has. Prior to every-year free agency, yes; now...don't think it matters,

Look at it this way...if you have a 7 or 8 man rotation...that means 5 to 6 players are only playing garbage time for the most part,,,so you would certainly be at high risk of them transferring...plus today you are still at risk of the 7 or 8 that ARE playing, transferring simply for more money.

So, to me, may as well play the system that fits you (as a coach) and the team's roster makeup, from year to year, and let the chips fall where they may.

The sport, sadly, is no longer something to look at "long term"...at least not until some rules change

1) There is some talent on this team
2) There are a lot of questions about this team
3) Sha can prove is coaching acumen with this team
4) The upside is greater than the downside
Well said. Exactly what I think.

Reactions: mbraue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT