ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond has left the building

You’re missing the point by a bit. It’s not just about losing Kadary specifically who is a great player that can lead a team etc.

It’s the new reality that Seton Hall in this environment cannot keep its best players like Kadary Richmond and that we will not be able to compete until proven otherwise in the new NIL environment
Almost every program in the country can say the same thing. It is what it is. It sucks, but life goes on. If Kadary Richmond and his handlers turn down $800K to play for SHU, oh well.

And again, let’s not forget that he’s only eligible because of a special exemption that’s gone after this year. And do you really think he would have stuck around this past year if he was allowed at this time last year to take off?

But all is well according to Mike McBride. He says there is an incorrect perception out there that Seton Hall is lacking in the pay to play department. Well, there's that perception again out in the open for everyone to see. Someone isn't being truthful, and I doubt it's the national media guys.
He was offered a big bag, and wants a bigger bag.

Doesn’t mean the people who offered the big bag are in some way at fault.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Be honest with yourself. If he does go to St Johns they had an open check book. They would have matched and increases any offer we made. It doesn't mean we are lacking.

If it's true we were able to offer up to $800k give or take and still have money for other players, then we are in decent shape. We are not close to elite, but that's enough to work with and compete every year. It just sucks our guy got stolen within conference.

Not the point. The point is, a national college basketball media member posted the following: "Imagine Shaheen Holloway in a place with good NIL."

The perception continues to be out there that SH is woefully behind in this area. McBride said that has been addressed. Obviously, it hasn't.

In this landscape, it's impossible to fault Richmond. If a team gives him a million dollars, he should take that and run with it. It's life-changing money, and if he has the right people in his corner, he will be set for the rest of his life. With that said...

If Seton Hall did offer him $800k, that's good news because it means our NIL operation has expanded significantly, and that we have money to kick around to get bigger names out of the transfer portal. Is that number actually real? Who knows. It's questionable to believe considering Seton Hall has historically been so far behind in facilities, and more recently, NIL. I'm hoping that the $800k is a real offer, and not being inflated online. That's a sign the program is healthy financially, if true.

He was offered a big bag, and wants a bigger bag.

Doesn’t mean the people who offered the big bag are in some way at fault.

I'm surprised you missed the point too, as you're almost always on the mark. See my post above in response to distauma. It's not about what Seton Hall did or didn't offer. It's about the perception among many in the college basketball world that Seton Hall doesn't have money to pay these guys.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Thanks for the info, Dan. There is so much going on behind the scenes to which the average fan (like myself) is not privy. Kadary owes me nothing. My hope though would be that all of these players are honest with Sha, giving him as much time as possible to react to what's coming. I believe they owe HIM that. Consider that the starters who declared for the portal, including Dre whom we know is gone, all significantly improved under this staff. I do not begrudge any one of them from doing what he feels is best for himself but please be transparent to Coach about your actions and your intentions. He has important decisions to make going forward. Again, I think he's owed that respect.

Reactions: walshtrips
I have no idea if this is possible or legal (it probably isn't), but something that would really help a program like Seton Hall is signing guys to multi-year contracts with buyouts in them. For example, say we sign Middleton to a 2-year NIL contract, and he has a great first season and averages 15ppg on good numbers, and good defense. A big program comes in and offers him $1 mil. If there were a buyout that says "if you transfer to another school prior to completing 2 years at SHU, we are owed $300k". And then that school and their NIL can figure out the rest.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Not the point. The point is, a national college basketball media member posted the following: "Imagine Shaheen Holloway in a place with good NIL."

The perception continues to be out there that SH is woefully behind in this area. McBride said that has been addressed. Obviously, it hasn't.
Perception doesn't matter to the players. $$ does. They will come here or stay because we pay the going rate. Sometimes we will benefit and sometimes we will lose. That's life. The media has always disrespected the Hall, nothing new. I'm not gonna get worked up.

And two years ago if someone said we had $800k for one player, fans would have been ecstatic. I choose to see the positive.

Hope he likes being booed if he returns to Pru in a Johnnies uni

This is immature. Richmond played 3 years for Seton Hall and helped lead the Pirates to a NIT championship. He is leaving Seton Hall better than he found it, as evidenced by the program's significant increase in fundraising during their NIT run. He should be given a very warm welcome if he returns in another uniform to the Pru next season.

This is immature. Richmond played 3 years for Seton Hall and helped lead the Pirates to a NIT championship. He is leaving Seton Hall better than he found it, as evidenced by the program's significant increase in fundraising during their NIT run. He should be given a very warm welcome if he returns in another uniform to the Pru next season.

No. I'm thankful for what he gave. He shouldn't be cheered for being a turncoat if he transfers within the big east. These are pros now.

This whole NIL situation is ridiculous. Don't believe that what NIL has become aligns with the spirit of Ed O'Bannon suing because his likeness was used on a college basketball video game absent of his benefit.
Even worse, the long-standing argument for athletes getting paid had been to cite the amount of revenue that a high-level D1 program brings to a college/university.....but colleges/universities cannot pay NIL.
Kudos to those who can maintain their passion for SHU basketball amid this mercenary construct.

He found the program coming off a big east regular season title and a 21-9 record. They were hardly in a bad place and that team is probably better than any he played on.

And then there were none.

Really hope it is not St. John's; that would be huge slap in the face.

But like Davis, he should get as much as he can next year, because after that it is back to $40K in the G League, if there is a G League then.

Reactions: catholicman
And then there were none.

Really hope it is not St. John's; that would be huge slap in the face.

But like Davis, he should get as much as he can next year, because after that it is back to $40K in the G League, if there is a G League then.
Or maybe the NBA if he stayed and worked his ass off under shas tutelage
Making the couple hundred grand a mere bag of shells.

Reactions: catholicman
Unless he plays less minutes or is used differently in the press. Which I don’t pretend to fully comprehend. Thing is Pitino is a basketball genius, so if he pursues the kid you know he has a plan to make it work. Maybe the sell is more tough love and I will help you become a pro.

Right, like all of the guys he (or his assistant coaches) pursued & decided to retain last year.

He found the program coming off a big east regular season title and a 21-9 record. They were hardly in a bad place and that team is probably better than any he played on.

That's not the point. The season this team had this year and the NIT run really helped to improve the NIL situation. NIL wasn't a factor when Kadary got here. I'm stunned at how ungrateful fans already are towards Kadary. So the difference between him and Davis is that the latter transferred to the SEC and the former might stay in the BE? Who cares. He has the opportunity to make life-changing money. Would you guys be mad at your son or someone close to you for doing the same? Take a step back. This is not the college basketball we all grew up to love. This is essentially pro sports now. Seton Hall can't offer the amount of money that others can- if Kadary can earn more somewhere else, he should, and we should thank him for his time here.

I'm taking this stance now that if we boo Kadary in a return game to Prudential it is embarrassing.

That's not the point. The season this team had this year and the NIT run really helped to improve the NIL situation. NIL wasn't a factor when Kadary got here. I'm stunned at how ungrateful fans already are towards Kadary. So the difference between him and Davis is that the latter transferred to the SEC and the former might stay in the BE? Who cares. He has the opportunity to make life-changing money. Would you guys be mad at your son or someone close to you for doing the same? Take a step back.

I'm taking this stance now that if we boo Kadary in a return game to Prudential it is embarrassing.
Weak stand.

Goodman says SJU the favorite.

If we can’t keep our best player from going to one of our biggest conference rivals, that’s a pretty bad sign.
That’s the cherry on top of this day

To Pitino and the Johnnies nonetheless

I'm surprised you missed the point too, as you're almost always on the mark. See my post above in response to distauma. It's not about what Seton Hall did or didn't offer. It's about the perception among many in the college basketball world that Seton Hall doesn't have money to pay these guys.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
But all is well according to Mike McBride. He says there is an incorrect perception out there that Seton Hall is lacking in the pay to play department. Well, there's that perception again out in the open for everyone to see. Someone isn't being truthful, and I doubt it's the national media guys.
I don’t think the NIL situation is horrendous, but we are still behind a lot of the power 6 schools. Not as far behind as last year but behind. We aren’t at the point we can spend $1 million on a player, but let’s see what happens in the coming weeks… something needs to change with this though, you will have players playing for 4 different schools in 4 years of college, they are no longer students, they are hired guns. Why bother attending classes.

Or maybe the NBA if he stayed and worked his ass off under shas tutelage
Making the couple hundred grand a mere bag of shells.
Don't see that happening. Shaheen is a good coach, but his "tutelage," as of now by many [here], is overrated.

Reactions: shu09
Sucks that we lose Richmond, sucks that NIL is helping to ruin something we all loved. Can't blame Kadary and wish him well. Like most here I'm curious as to the 💰 we offered and the 💰💰💰he wound up with.

Reactions: Jerry1992
I get it, but national writers pretty much parrot each other. It’s a perception that won’t change for a long time, and may never will, even if the impossible happens and Kurtz becomes the SHU answer to Repole.

I’m going to be in the minority but a waste of money putting all your eggs in one basket. The Yankees have proven more than once you cannot buy championships. Lots of injuries in college ball. Let’s get 8 or 9 good players and hope a couple turn out to be great. We need to think out of the box and not follow the herd. The game of basketball will always be about a group of guys who play well together. Call me crazy but I would take good players who play well inside a system any day over a few great players controlling the ball and the game. Think Sha is going for system players, system stays the same players change every year.

That's not the point. The season this team had this year and the NIT run really helped to improve the NIL situation. NIL wasn't a factor when Kadary got here. I'm stunned at how ungrateful fans already are towards Kadary. So the difference between him and Davis is that the latter transferred to the SEC and the former might stay in the BE? Who cares. He has the opportunity to make life-changing money. Would you guys be mad at your son or someone close to you for doing the same? Take a step back. This is not the college basketball we all grew up to love. This is essentially pro sports now. Seton Hall can't offer the amount of money that others can- if Kadary can earn more somewhere else, he should, and we should thank him for his time here.

We’re all getting way ahead of ourselves, but actions - even understandable ones - also have consequences. I could care less, and I’m thinking he doesn’t, either. The bag is what matters, nothing else.

At least we have the scouting report on him. Cant shoot the 3, not very quick, gotta cross over to get by defender. Quick defender take the charge

In this landscape, it's impossible to fault Richmond. If a team gives him a million dollars, he should take that and run with it. It's life-changing money, and if he has the right people in his corner, he will be set for the rest of his life. With that said...

If Seton Hall did offer him $800k, that's good news because it means our NIL operation has expanded significantly, and that we have money to kick around to get bigger names out of the transfer portal. Is that number actually real? Who knows. It's questionable to believe considering Seton Hall has historically been so far behind in facilities, and more recently, NIL. I'm hoping that the $800k is a real offer, and not being inflated online. That's a sign the program is healthy financially, if true.
I don't fault him but at the same time I don't consider guys like him and Davis pirates for life. Not sure at this rate it will ever happen again.

Reactions: CaptBob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT