ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond: NBA Profile

Woah, you think Brunson was nothing more than just a good player?

I have stated IMO since the end of his junior year at Nova that he was the second best PG, next to A.I., in the history of the conference.
The point I'm making is Richmond has physical tools Brunson doesn't have.
That's going to be attractive to someone

Piratz has long been the best poster and voice of reason on these boards, in my opinion. There are many good ones I respect on here, but he is at the top of the list.
Thank you. Appreciate the kind words and I always find your posts must read and atop the list. There are many great and best posters here.
Richmond doesn’t have anywhere near the shooting ability or skill of Brunson, among other things, and he isn’t in the same stratosphere as Brunson as a college player.
This. Brunson was a tremendous player and so well rounded. He could do the post up too and kill from 3. He’d abuse us in the lane then smack us with 3 while being physical defense. An all-timer.

#2 is an idiotic statement.

Kadary puts in plenty of effort on defense. Not only that, he’s our second best defender. Re-watch the tape.

Good defense doesn’t always mean running around and taking charges or getting blocks.

Kadary gets to the right spot, deflects passes, most often keeps his man from getting a good shot off and boxes out. He is more than solid on defense and in my opinion that combined with his will to get to the rim as well as his playmaking makes him a 2nd round pick that can stick.
it means putting your hand up on a jump shot once in a while. nba guys would score jumpshots at will.

i would love for him to get drafted. but its a weak draft, tons of big east guys projected, kadary nowhere to be found in any mock draft. his unique skill set right now is his size. useless in the nba.

Last edited:
Piratz has long been the best poster and voice of reason on these boards, in my opinion. There are many good ones I respect on here, but he is at the top of the list.
if i had to vote for "best poster" which isnt a realistic award, it would be him hands down.

I use Brunson as an example

A good college player not a game changer. Kind of slow footed etc..

But look what a tremendous pro he has become.

Richmond is bigger and is a game changer...

He could be a tremendous pro !
this might be the most insane comment in a few years.

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words and I always find your posts must read and atop the list. There are many great and best posters here.

This. Brunson was a tremendous player and so well rounded. He could do the post up too and kill from 3. He’d abuse us in the lane then smack us with 3 while being physical defense. An all-timer.
he reminded me if tim duncan was a guard it would be jalen brunson. you dont even realize when hes dominating you.

Given the situation, question as a relates to NIL. so Richman could command 500,000 next year, but someone who is a big donor/influencer says I’ll put up the money only if he stays (because he’s a known quantity and more perceived value than a portal player that no one knows). Versus contributing much less for a lesser known player). Once again, if anyone is contributing that kind of money, they probably want to have a say, and where it goes.

Now, with that said of course, it would be good to have somebody who is ready to pony up a half a million.
Let's stay with this line of thought. So a big donor puts up $500,000 to keep a Hall player in school for another year. Where does the NIL part come in? Does the player become a living advertisement for the donor's hedge fund or his no. 1 charity?
UCONN's Aaliyah Edwards just signed a deal with Adidas. Is that strictly between her and Adidas? Does UCONN or the NCAA have to approve that it is within certain guidelines?

Let's stay with this line of thought. So a big donor puts up $500,000 to keep a Hall player in school for another year. Where does the NIL part come in? Does the player become a living advertisement for the donor's hedge fund or his no. 1 charity?
UCONN's Aaliyah Edwards just signed a deal with Adidas. Is that strictly between her and Adidas? Does UCONN or the NCAA have to approve that it is within certain guidelines?
I don’t think many kids, certainly not here, are being paid to do traditional marketing or product/business promotion. Only a handful of athletes can justify the type of dollars being discussed for that type of NIL, and geographically this is a place where college sports and athletes are so far down the totem pole in that context.

In your example, the $500,000 would be paid for a kid to play basketball. Period. It’s true pay for play. It isn’t a QB who is the biggest deal in SEC country being paid to market something because it is actually justifiable or potentially justifiable from a business perspective. It is - we want you to play basketball, and so here is more money beyond the scholarship and other perks you are already getting. And when the “paid to do charity” work examples get brought up, that is just beyond cringeworthy.

Reactions: chickenbox
All good questions. Right now, it could be any or all. I posed the question because it relates to a specific player who is already here and there hypothetically could be a wealthy donor or syndicate of donors that are willing to pay Richmond to stay more than they would for a transfer at a fraction of what is required for Kadary. I don’t think this is too far-fetched.

Reactions: Piratz
Interestingly I’ve seen Caitlin Clark on State Farm commercials. Imagine that is between her and the company having nothing to do with NIL?

I think we have a team that would be perfect pitchmen for a certain cyber defense firm.

Interestingly I’ve seen Caitlin Clark on State Farm commercials. Imagine that is between her and the company having nothing to do with NIL?

I think we have a team that would be perfect pitchmen for a certain cyber defense firm.
But that is NIL. That's how NIL was supposed to work. Someone with the fame and marketing cache of Caitlin Clark getting paid to legitimately promote a company. It isn't the "fan collective" pay-for-play NIL, which is what seems the majority get or want.

I don’t think many kids, certainly not here, are being paid to do traditional marketing or product/business promotion. Only a handful of athletes can justify the type of dollars being discussed for that type of NIL, and geographically this is a place where college sports and athletes are so far down the totem pole in that context.

In your example, the $500,000 would be paid for a kid to play basketball. Period. It’s true pay for play. It isn’t a QB who is the biggest deal in SEC country being paid to m

Market something because it is actually justifiable or potentially justifiable from a business perspective. It is - we want you to play basketball, and so here is more money beyond the scholarship and other perks you are already getting. And when the “paid to do charity” work examples get brought up, that is just beyond cringeworthy.
Thanks to Dehere 23 and Hall 85 for sharing their takes on the brackish waters of NIL. So, most athletes who get NIL money just get it with no use of their names, images, or likenesses? Kind of a ruse isn't it? Is Samuels at Florida or Park-Lane in Mississippi doing anything for their money? Is money contributed to Onward Setonia as a "fan collective" or "syndicate of donors" just (a) going to pay basketball players or (b) growing the Onward Setonia brand so it can connect athletes with sponsors, or both? Thanks.

I don't see another year helping either Richmond or Davis.
It absolutely could help Richmond if he works on his 3ball. If he can increase his volume to 6-7 per game at 35% he will drastically improve his NBA stock. He has an NBA body and vision.

Kadary is one year away from the NBA. You don’t get the exposure of a potential BE POY or an All American in the G-League and most overseas situations become forgotten here, but you can make great money there.

Kadary is an introvert. He needs to break out from a leadership perspective. If Andre comes here to coach, the guidance he could give him would be invaluable. He is not NBA ready now, but close.

I know that Danny thinks that he is one of the best players in the NCAA. Just look at what he does vs. UConn. He just needs that one more step. A better 3 ball in particular. He takes it to the rim like nobody. One more year. He is 22. Not too old.

If the NIL works, we should be all in on him and Dre. The rest will work itself out.

Kadary is one year away from the NBA. You don’t get the exposure of a potential BE POY or an All American in the G-League and most overseas situations become forgotten here, but you can make great money there.

Kadary is an introvert. He needs to break out from a leadership perspective. If Andre comes here to coach, the guidance he could give him would be invaluable. He is not NBA ready now, but close.

I know that Danny thinks that he is one of the best players in the NCAA. Just look at what he does vs. UConn. He just needs that one more step. A better 3 ball in particular. He takes it to the rim like nobody. One more year. He is 22. Not too old.

If the NIL works, we should be all in on him and Dre. The rest will work itself out.
More players than ever are making it from the developmental league or overseas to the NBA. That's a fact. There was a statistic a year or two ago, and the numbers were incredible. The NBA scouts and front offices will find talent wherever it lies, and players use both the development league and overseas to improve their games competing against professionals and with professional training and coaching. That type of structure IMO far outweighs any "exposure" one gets from being a really good player in a college basketball conference.

Now if it is about taking a one-time payday that far exceeds anything a kid can get that year through another option, well that's a different story.

More players than ever are making it from the developmental league or overseas to the NBA. That's a fact. There was a statistic a year or two ago, and the numbers were incredible. The NBA scouts and front offices will find talent wherever it lies, and players use both the development league and overseas to improve their games competing against professionals and with professional training and coaching. That type of structure IMO far outweighs any "exposure" one gets from being a really good player in a college basketball conference.

Now if it is about taking a one-time payday that far exceeds anything a kid can get that year through another option, well that's a different story.
But imagine he can play his way into first round draft pick status? That’s where another year in college and the exposure could pay off. If he’s looking to bounce his way around the G League or Europe and hope to crack an NBA roster one day, he may never see the money he could make if he were a first round draft pick. And of course with the NIL situation, he has a lucrative pay day on the table regardless of which college team he plays for next year.

Reactions: Halldan1
Thanks to Dehere 23 and Hall 85 for sharing their takes on the brackish waters of NIL. So, most athletes who get NIL money just get it with no use of their names, images, or likenesses? Kind of a ruse isn't it? Is Samuels at Florida or Park-Lane in Mississippi doing anything for their money? Is money contributed to Onward Setonia as a "fan collective" or "syndicate of donors" just (a) going to pay basketball players or (b) growing the Onward Setonia brand so it can connect athletes with sponsors, or both? Thanks.
yea i mean this is the whole reason the ncaa completely botched the situation. really couldn't have done a worse job. they basically said "pay the players, go" instead of actually making guidelines , rules, restrictions, etc. pitiful.

So, most athletes who get NIL money just get it with no use of their names, images, or likenesses? Kind of a ruse isn't it? Is Samuels at Florida or Park-Lane in Mississippi doing anything for their money? Is money contributed to Onward Setonia as a "fan collective" or "syndicate of donors" just (a) going to pay basketball players or (b) growing the Onward Setonia brand so it can connect athletes with sponsors, or both? Thanks.
Overall in the industry yes it’s a ruse to what was originally intended, although players can benefit from the original intention even though it’s not the driver. The objective is to pay good players to build a team now. No matter if they work for it - outside of being on the team and winning - or not.

You’ll have to ask Onward Setonia how the donations get to the players but they do market many events and items on their website.

Overall in the industry yes it’s a ruse to what was originally intended, although players can benefit from the original intention even though it’s not the driver. The objective is to pay good players to build a team now. No matter if they work for it - outside of being on the team and winning - or not.

You’ll have to ask Onward Setonia how the donations get to the players but they do market many events and items on their website.
also wondering if the fact they're basically employees if they even show up to classes (or if having a stand-in is part of the payment)

But imagine he can play his way into first round draft pick status? That’s where another year in college and the exposure could pay off. If he’s looking to bounce his way around the G League or Europe and hope to crack an NBA roster one day, he may never see the money he could make if he were a first round draft pick. And of course with the NIL situation, he has a lucrative pay day on the table regardless of which college team he plays for next year.
Possible, of course. But I don't think "exposure" has anything to do with whether he can play himself into a NBA draft pick. Years ago, maybe. Now, everyone is on TV, all the time and the NBA folks have no problem seeing any of these kids, especially one with 120+ games under his belt like KR.

I get if taking the NIL $ that comes his way results in the kid making more $ than otherwise available. If he wants to improve his perimeter game, I don't see how competing against college kids at his age is going to do that in a way that's better than playing against professionals and training with professionals.

Agree with the competition in the G-league or overseas. However, last time I looked, G-league payed $35-40k. Another year in college and a guy like KR can get maybe 10x G-league salary and still play top line college hoops. Not sure about overseas compensation levels but probably more than G-league.

Without a first round selection or some type of 2nd round guarantee like IW, maybe Richmond does use his final year of eligibility in college. We’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: Halldan1
Agree with the competition in the G-league or overseas. However, last time I looked, G-league payed $35-40k. Another year in college and a guy like KR can get maybe 10x G-league salary and still play top line college hoops. Not sure about overseas compensation levels but probably more than G-league.

Without a first round selection or some type of 2nd round guarantee like IW, maybe Richmond does use his final year of eligibility in college. We’ll find out soon enough.
Agree with you 100% on the money-grab piece. Based on the rumor-mill, the development league seems to pay less than many college kids get. With overseas, I'm not sure frankly as those numbers differ widely and are not always guaranteed etc.

It's no different than a question many of us make in our careers. I turned down double my salary (which was pretty good at the time) at one point in my career because I thought staying in my current shop would be better for my long term development. I left excellent money on the table because the job I had gave me a chance to refine and develop skills I wouldn't at the shop throwing all sorts of money at me. And it worked. But I know plenty who took the short term money too.

i just dont see richmond being able to improve his shooting nearly enough. what he has in size, he loses in speed. and im not sure what he can do on the defensive end.

if isaiah whitehead couldnt stay on a roster because of shooting or defense how can richmond?oh course id love to be wrong.

Reactions: HallGuy23
I usually agree that players late in their career, unless the NIL is substantial, should move on. Davis is a case in point. I don't see what he has to gain staying in college unless he just wants to cash in with NIL.

Richmond to me is the exception.

Despite his talent, which is extensive, it does not translate to the NBA and that is why he doesn't show up in many NBA draft scenarios. He simply lacks the ability to shoot. Meaning if he wants to play at the next level he must spend untold hours in the gym doing nothing but working on his shot. Do that and then show with another year in college and you have first round potential the following year. Which in turn guarantees a much bigger payday.

I usually agree that players late in their career, unless the NIL is substantial, should move on. Davis is a case in point. I don't see what he has to gain staying in college unless he just wants to cash in with NIL.

Despite his talent, which is extensive, it does not translate to the NBA and that is why he doesn't show up in many NBA draft scenarios. He simply lacks the ability to shoot. Meaning if he wants to play at the next level he must spend untold hours in the gym doing nothing but working on his shot. Do that and then show with another year in college and you have first round potential the following year. Which in turn guarantees a much bigger payday.
The problem will be his age for the NBA. Next year you have another set of 19-20 year olds better ready to go. His path is probably from G League or overseas to the NBA if he even can get there. I don’t see first rd potentially

Reactions: HallGuy23

I think Davis and/or Richmond (if they want to optimize the $$) should stay the extra year in college. What are Dre's options next year in Europe or G-League for $$? Probably not as good as an NIL deal. Bank that money and make a decision next year. And another year of college is only another 35 games or so for that kind of money?

Unless Richmond is assured of being drafted (and getting guaranteed money), he should do the same. I don't see him as a first rounder and maybe he works out a Whitehead type deal for a second round or free agent side deal (some guarantee) with a team in advance of the draft of he goes undrafted. I'm no expert, but I also can't see a team taking that kind of guaranteed financial risk for a player with his shooting stats.

If Richmond and Davis have the ability to make hundreds of thousands in NIL, what in the world are players on top teams making? Is entire starting lineup for UConn making $500k each? I mean, let’s be honest, we didn’t make the tournament and we allegedly have 2 players that may command half-million dollar NIL deals? If this is the case and landscape of college bball, schools like ours will never have a chance to compete.

If Richmond and Davis have the ability to make hundreds of thousands in NIL, what in the world are players on top teams making? Is entire starting lineup for UConn making $500k each? I mean, let’s be honest, we didn’t make the tournament and we allegedly have 2 players that may command half-million dollar NIL deals? If this is the case and landscape of college bball, schools like ours will never have a chance to compete.
I don't know what the real numbers are, but I would think 5th year or graduate players would command more NIL as they are 1) proven, 2) can fill a strategic need to put a team over the top, 3) can be justified as a one year investment.

Reactions: chickenbox
The important thing for our possible returning players is that they be honest with Sha as soon as the season is over.

No high quality PG is coming here with the possibity that Richmond is coming back. Same with Davis though he would slot in as a SF at this point.

Wusu I strongly feel is coming back.

The important thing for our possible returning players is that they be honest with Sha as soon as the season is over.
Absolutely...hopefully Sha has their trust and can get that honesty from those two especially. They are the foundation pieces and knowing their plans ASAP is a game changer in the overall strategy.
No high quality PG is coming here with the possibity that Richmond is coming back. Same with Davis though he would slot in as a SF at this point.

Wusu I strongly feel is coming back.

It's been that way for a while now. Aiken was somewhat of a point guard but not really.

At best you would get a combo guard, sort of like Dawes to come here with Richmond. But if Kooks leaves you want a high quality PG to run the team.

The sooner we know that the better our chance to help complete the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT