ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Mike Cocco

TheHall87

All World
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Today is a sad day for those close to the Seton Hall baseball program as the news broke that Mike Cocco passed away.

Those of us who were in school in the mid-80's know and remember Cocco as the manager of the baseball team. Cocco kept the scorebook and was involved in many aspects of the program under Coach Sheppard.

A prep grad, Cocco was Seton Hall through and through and a great guy.

My condolences to his wife Beth and his children Michael and Molly.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Sad to lose a SHP Hall of fame. Condolences to his loved ones

Such a shame. Ran into him at the Whiskey Bar after a game this past year & he looked great.

Anyone who played at the Prep, SHU, or Vailsburg American Legion teams knew Cocco well. Terrible news. SHU class of 81? 82? Had been 400# and really turned himself around, beautiful family. RIP

Anyone who played at the Prep, SHU, or Vailsburg American Legion teams knew Cocco well. Terrible news. SHU class of 81? 82? Had been 400# and really turned himself around, beautiful family. RIP
He was after me, a 1986 graduate. Everyone knew of him.

Sad, may he RIP.

Cocco was the type of person who everyone seemed to know and everyone liked. Charismatic, great sense of humor and a good person. Generous with his time and a good teacher. Knew his baseball too.

Coached at SH in the early 90s while working at St.Barnabas. Became their Director of Security and had a successful career. Great memories of him at SH and I also played for him for a summer for the South Orange Orioles of the Essex County Baseball League.

He touched a lot of lives during his 30+ years of (mostly volunteer) coaching. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Cocco was the type of person who everyone seemed to know and everyone liked. Charismatic, great sense of humor and a good person. Generous with his time and a good teacher. Knew his baseball too.

Coached at SH in the early 90s while working at St.Barnabas. Became their Director of Security and had a successful career. Great memories of him at SH and I also played for him for a summer for the South Orange Orioles of the Essex County Baseball League.

He touched a lot of lives during his 30+ years of (mostly volunteer) coaching. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

I forgot about the ECBL. I played for Verona for several years. Cocco coached John Sheppard in South Orange, maybe the best player of all the Sheppards.

Seton Hall Baseball Mourns The Passing Of Michael Cocco '86​

resize

South Orange, N.J. — Michael Cocco '86, a man synonymous with Seton Hall University baseball who personified the program's motto "Never Lose Your Hustle", passed away on Sunday.

Cocco worked his way up from being a four-year student manager under legendary head coach Mike Sheppard, Sr. to serving Sheppard, Sr. as a graduate assistant and assistant coach. He was a part of two Seton Hall teams that made NCAA Regionals and he was on staff for the Seton Hall squad that won the 1987 BIG EAST championship. Cocco also notably managed Seton Hall's "B" team and he assisted then associate head coach and Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Famer Ed Blankmeyer with the pitching staff.

In total, Cocco spent 13 consecutive years on the South Orange campus; four as a high school student at Seton Hall Prep, four as a student manager at the University's baseball program, two as a graduate assistant and three as a full-time assistant. Cocco turned himself into one Sheppard, Sr's most trusted staff members. In his biography as a senior at Seton Hall in 1986, Sheppard, Sr. said this about Cocco:

"Started out to be one of the better managers during my time at Seton Hall…I truly love Mike Cocco for everything he has done for me."

The Memorial Visitation will take place on Friday, April 26th from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Leonardis Memorial Home, Inc., 210 Ridgedale Avenue, Florham Park. The memorial funeral mass will be held at Holy Family Roman Catholic Church in Florham Park on Saturday, April 27th at 10:00 am, followed by the inurnment at Holy Rood Cemetery in Morristown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT