ADVERTISEMENT

Romaro Gill

We had him wrapped up a couple of days ago. I posted on the Trove the renouncement would come out Monday. Guess his relative beat the Hall to it.

More details already noted on the Trove.

Welcome big guy. Long time since SHU had a shot blocker.

If SH is primed to have an outstanding 2018 recruiting class, something that has been talked about since the beginning of this past season, why take a player as raw as Gill is reported to be and not save the ship for a player who is BE ready in the 2018 class. We already have a big who will need to develop before he becomes BE ready in Brodie.

We have at least 4 scholarships opening up for that class. Not a recruiting expert, but that would seem the be more than enough considering who we have returning after this coming season.

If SH is primed to have an outstanding 2018 recruiting class, something that has been talked about since the beginning of this past season, why take a player as raw as Gill is reported to be and not save the ship for a player who is BE ready in the 2018 class. We already have a big who will need to develop before he becomes BE ready in Brodie.
I think he will fill the Anthony role and I believe this pickup will make more sense for the 17-18 season if RA 'decides' to leave.

This is like buying a lottery pick. Kid is a legit 7' with an even longer wingspan. He's extremely raw but does have 3 things going for him besides being extremely tall/long:

- he runs very well for a big guy
- he has good eye-hand coordination with pretty soft hands
- he's an aggressive shot blocker. Tries to get his hand on everything

His offense is not good and he definitely needs to get stronger. But he's much more athletic and able than Ajou and unlike Anthony and other projects we've had, he at least has one great skill (shot blocking) to build on. Hopefully they can teach him to stay on his feet until the shot goes up. With his length he doesn't need to leave his feet to block everything and he commits a lot of fouls that way.

Staff has nearly 18 months to work with him and get him stronger before he sees his first game. We shall see if they can make something of him.

Not likely, he is. Unless we get an injury.
Yeah I don't think we'll redshirt him..if Anthony leaves he needs to not redshirt... if any of the other four get injured we'll need some minutes out of gill and maybe some spot minutes even if they don't.

Yeah I don't think we'll redshirt him..if Anthony leaves he needs to not redshirt... if any of the other four get injured we'll need some minutes out of gill and maybe some spot minutes even if they don't.
Short of an injury he IS redshirting.

Reactions: shupat08

We have Ish, Nzei, Sandro and Angel as our core 4 big men. Plus Brodie in emergencies. Why would we need a 6th big man?

Reactions: P1RAT3 and Halldan1
Not too long ago front court depth and rebounding were a major issue. Definitely a welcome change. Now if only we could have options at the point, our potential for next season is the greatest it's been in 2 decades.

Why can't we land a point guard who will start and play 20 + mins, but we can land 3 big men who likely won't see significant mins? Crazy.

Reactions: SHUMike
Welcome, Romaro!!

I think this is all upside:

1). Asuming he is a RS this season, that gives him a full year of work with the staff and going against the like of Delgado, Sanogo, and Nzei in practice and vice-versa. Invaluable for Gill, but also helps our current players to go up against a 7'-er in practice.

2). He basically takes the Rashed Anthony when he suits up. But Gill has unique athleticism, much more so than an Ajou, Geramipoor, Anthony, etc. He could be a specialty shot blocker off the bench. Gill looks so much more fluid than any of them.

3). When he suits up in 2018-19, we'll already have Sandro and Nzei, plus whatever Brodie becomes off the bench, and hopefully another standout big or two from the 2018 class (Manuel?). So he's all depth.

Reactions: Joe_T and Halldan1
Sandro won't see double digits mins next year, unless an injury occurs. Bank on it.

He's a 3???? He's 6'10. He won't be able to guard any small forward in the BE and Willard would never put a 6'10 kid at the 3. Better chance he plays the 5 (small spurts) than the 3.

What's the difference if Sandro does or does not see 10 mpg next year? We are stocked at the 3-5 positions with Seniors. His goal is depth and then get ready to start in 2018 when Desi, Sanogo, and Delgado are gone. Don't sleep on that kid. He's going to be good.

I see him as more of a stretch-4 and on the floor with the mystery PG, Powell, and Cale together.

I think he is going to be REAL GOOD, just not right away.

It's just strange that we added 3 bigs where we are stocked but can't get a point guard who will start & see significant mins.

Reactions: HallBallSP16
Seems like the staff teaches the players to stand straight up and make offensive player make shots over them and avoid swats and blocks. This kid may help protect the rim

We have Ish, Nzei, Sandro and Angel as our core 4 big men. Plus Brodie in emergencies. Why would we need a 6th big man?
is he the 5th best big man or 6th best? I understand redshirting either Brodie or Gill but I thought Gill would be more ready to give some spot minutes than Brodie this year.

If the other team has a true 5, who guards him when Angel is out? Honest question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT