ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper Jr. \ Geo Baker Returning

cams555

Sophomore
Oct 24, 2019
I am still confused how these guys thought they had a shot in the draft. Harper was their leading scorer and in my opinion he is no where near the player Rhoden is.

Baker coming back for his 5th year doesn't impress me either. Since Aiken was injured it makes sense why he returned,. but Baker played 4 years. Even if the NBA wasn't calling, go play over seas.

Am a bitter towards these players, not really, but it drives me nuts how the media covers it. They barley talked about Powell who has a bigger following then anybody mentioned here and he got no attention. Then you got Mamu who is a legit second round NBA prospect.

I know I know old story new chapter, but I just hope it brings some more fuel to the fire come December 12th.

Reactions: Hallsome
I am still confused how these guys thought they had a shot in the draft. Harper was their leading scorer and in my opinion he is no where near the player Rhoden is.

Baker coming back for his 5th year doesn't impress me either. Since Aiken was injured it makes sense why he returned,. but Baker played 4 years. Even if the NBA wasn't calling, go play over seas.

Am a bitter towards these players, not really, but it drives me nuts how the media covers it. They barley talked about Powell who has a bigger following then anybody mentioned here and he got no attention. Then you got Mamu who is a legit second round NBA prospect.

I know I know old story new chapter, but I just hope it brings some more fuel to the fire come December 12th.

Powell got attention from every outlet including national. He was an absolute star.

Geo is an overrated player who tried to hijack his teams first trip to the NCAA in 30 years with his look at me comments about being a slave to the NCAA. I hope for his sake he gets a few NIL deals since he clearly lacks an education to rely on in the future.

Rutgers will struggle to finish in the top half of that overrated league.

Powell got attention from every outlet including national. He was an absolute star.

Geo is an overrated player who tried to hijack his teams first trip to the NCAA in 30 years with his look at me comments about being a slave to the NCAA. I hope for his sake he gets a few NIL deals since he clearly lacks an education to rely on in the future.

Rutgers will struggle to finish in the top half of that overrated league.
I don’t get that either, Powell was everywhere in 2020

You guys are right Powell got attention...

The larger point is that its sometimes frustrating being the more talented but smaller school.

Why is Baker going back to being a “slave” (his words, not mine)? Someone needs to deflate that kid’s head! Hoping he doesn’t see a dime in NIL money. He’s an overrated player at a low D1 school who no one outside of New Brunswick knows or cares about and the lack of NIL money should drive that home and shut him up. His attitude sucks.

As for Harper, maybe the kid likes school or wants to work toward an advanced degree so he has something after basketball.

The NBA is not in the future of either player.

No different than most college basketball players. Inflated egos thanks to fan and media attention, plus all the "advisors" in their ear.

Most college players have no shot to make the NBA.

I would have been surprised if Powell was drafted and I'll be equally surprised if Sandro is drafted.

No different than most college basketball players. Inflated egos thanks to fan and media attention, plus all the "advisors" in their ear.

Most college players have no shot to make the NBA.

I would have been surprised if Powell was drafted and I'll be equally surprised if Sandro is drafted.
i will be less surprised. sandro is 6'10". that alone helps.

Was never too impressed with Baker. Harper on the other hand is a good player that is an asset to RU. To say he is nowhere near Rhoden’s level May be a bit too complementary to Jared (who I love). Surprised to hear Harper isn’t on the nba radar but I know next to nothing about pro bball.

Was never too impressed with Baker. Harper on the other hand is a good player that is an asset to RU. To say he is nowhere near Rhoden’s level May be a bit too complementary to Jared (who I love). Surprised to hear Harper isn’t on the nba radar but I know next to nothing about pro bball.
This is my take, too. Harper was playing like one of the top players in the B1G before he hurt his ankle - I think that was in late December? Oddly enough, he and Jared finished their seasons with very similar stats, but Harper wasn't the same player after he returned from his injury.

Players either come from a winning program or theyre a star player amongst others. Either way, the players lose nothing for just putting their names in the draft and getting feedback on what they need to do to improve their draft stock.

I only watch Rutgers when they play us & I've been impressed with Baker from his freshman year. Like Powell he has a flair for the dramatic & seems to be a good team leader. Harper seems to be a bit inconsistent but they are a much better team with both. Looking forward to kicking their butt this year.

Players either come from a winning program or theyre a star player amongst others. Either way, the players lose nothing for just putting their names in the draft and getting feedback on what they need to do to improve their draft stock.
Perhaps a way to look at is like an internship. Kids get to spend a part of their summer learning about the real world of professional hoops, where they stand, what they need to work on and how challenging the real world is outside of the college experience.

I like it for the dose of reality it brings to kids. From when these kids start playing in youth, through high school and the collegiate recruiting process and even in college with coaches needing to retain players, too many kids hear only that they are so wonderful and so necessary. With the self promotion on social media, too many egos have become overinflated (even as they proclaim the need to "stay humble"). This process brings humility back into the equation and perhaps engenders a sense of what college athletics and the student athlete experience should be.

As an aside, MC's return seems to me to reflect an excellent sense of balance and insight to the collegiate athletic experience.

Harper is absolutely on the same level as Rhoden as a player. And Harper may be better.

I live in Bergen County, and Powell received more media coverage local and national in 2020 than Harper/Baker have combined. Harper's most known for being Ron's kid. Baker is most known for something silly he said during the NCAA tournament.

Baker, from what I've seen, is a solid player but was not as good last year as the prior. Harper was excellent at the beginning part of last year and I believe tailed off a bit. Both good players who we would love to have.

Every good that has realistic professional options -- not just the NBA but overseas -- should take advantage of that.

Reactions: Hallsome
Why is Baker going back to being a “slave” (his words, not mine)? Someone needs to deflate that kid’s head! Hoping he doesn’t see a dime in NIL money. He’s an overrated player at a low D1 school who no one outside of New Brunswick knows or cares about and the lack of NIL money should drive that home and shut him up. His attitude sucks.

As for Harper, maybe the kid likes school or wants to work toward an advanced degree so he has something after basketball.

The NBA is not in the future of either player.
Geo got what he wanted. In case you haven’t noticed, NIL is a thing now.

Baker is no longer a slave and has a deal with Alva Fitness:

Harper will definitely be an NBA Player and is better than Rhoden
Baker had 3 tryouts and will probably play overseas . Both are responsible for RU Turnaround. RU will beat Hall next year
Finally Rothstein has RU at 36 in top 45 putting them as 9/10 Seed
I don’t see Hall on list

• Haha
Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Even if you think he's better than Rhoden -- I think it's on the same level, and that our fan who said Rhoden is much better is dead wrong, just as I don't agree with you that Harper is a clear cut above Rhoden -- "definitely" an NBA player. I don't see that at all. Harper has some things to like for the next level, but the NBA is damn hard especially for a guy like him.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Some of you guys seem to forget that Delgado, Powell and Mamu all declared for the NBA and than returned to SHU for their last year. It is good for players to get the recommendations and evaluations from NBA people. Baker sprained both ankles last season and Harper sprained one. I don't think either player was 100 % for the rest of the season after they got injured. Harper's numbers were off the charts before he got injured. Baker pushed for Nil as perhaps the top spokesman with the NCAA and a US Senate committee. He stood up for what he believed in and a lot of athletes will receive some money because of what he did. I respect him and both Geo and Ron are fine representatives of Rutgers.

Some of you guys seem to forget that Delgado, Powell and Mamu all declared for the NBA and than returned to SHU for their last year. It is good for players to get the recommendations and evaluations from NBA people. Baker sprained both ankles last season and Harper sprained one. I don't think either player was 100 % for the rest of the season after they got injured. Harper's numbers were off the charts before he got injured. Baker pushed for Nil as perhaps the top spokesman with the NCAA and a US Senate committee. He stood up for what he believed in and a lot of athletes will receive some money because of what he did. I respect him and both Geo and Ron are fine representatives of Rutgers.

This thread was useless as soon as the original poster said Powell was barely spoken about.

Baker had 3 tryouts and will probably play overseas . Both are responsible for RU Turnaround. RU will beat Hall next year
I don’t see Hall on list
Harper and Rhoden are nearly identical players in ability. And neither will be in the NBA.

If Harper is healthy, he'll have a chance to approach Rhoden's productivity.

Even with those 2 returning i think Rutgers will underperform this year. Their big man and Young had a much bigger impact then they probably realize last year.

And once it becomes apparent Rutgers won’t be in the tournament you’ll see Baker leave the program mid season like the shallow snake he is.

Just because Harpers dad is an NBA player does not mean he is going to be an NBA player. I dont see the drive that he has compared to Rhoden.

Have you seen a picture of Rhoden this year, I dont think Harper is losing that gut anytime soon. I would take Rhoden in a heart beat and I think that by the end of the year its not going to be close.

I don’t see Hall on list
Looking at Rothstein's projected lineup, you have Baker and Harper, along with Mulcahy, McConnell, and Omoruyi. Unless those other three guys take decent steps forward, that's a weak lineup and I'd say Seton Hall's projected starting lineup is better. I think Seton Hall's bench will be better, too. Where does RU's bench production come from? Expecting a big step forward from Hyatt? Is Jaden Jones going to make significant contributions?

Looking at Rothstein's projected lineup, you have Baker and Harper, along with Mulcahy, McConnell, and Omoruyi. Unless those other three guys take decent steps forward, that's a weak lineup and I'd say Seton Hall's projected starting lineup is better. I think Seton Hall's bench will be better, too. Where does RU's bench production come from? Expecting a big step forward from Hyatt? Is Jaden Jones going to make significant contributions?

Jaden Jones is a stud
Cliff O was top 50 recruit and should make a big leap
Hyatt was a 4 star recruit wanted by Hall and RU
Paul Mulcahy is solid
Harper and Baker are proven
Why isn’t the Hall listed in top 45
He has St John’s at 37. , 1 spot behind RU

Just because Harpers dad is an NBA player does not mean he is going to be an NBA player. I dont see the drive that he has compared to Rhoden.

Have you seen a picture of Rhoden this year, I dont think Harper is losing that gut anytime soon. I would take Rhoden in a heart beat and I think that by the end of the year its not going to be close.
Harper is on Radar of NBA Scouts
I also think Rhoden is very good

Reactions: piratesbball08
Jaden Jones is a stud
Cliff O was top 50 recruit and should make a big leap
Hyatt was a 4 star recruit wanted by Hall and RU
Paul Mulcahy is solid
Harper and Baker are proven
Why isn’t the Hall listed in top 45
He has St John’s at 37. , 1 spot behind RU

I watched Cliff some last year and he looked very raw. I'm not saying he won't take a big step forward but it looked like he had some work to do.

The fact is you lost two very important starters to the transfer portal and did not replace them. Seton Hall gained three valuable contributors from the portal and you got maybe one if Hyatt contributes more.

Rothstein is overestimating Rutgers and underestimating Seton Hall.

I watched Cliff some last year and he looked very raw. I'm not saying he won't take a big step forward but it looked like he had some work to do.

The fact is you lost two very important starters to the transfer portal and did not replace them. Seton Hall gained three valuable contributors from the portal and you got maybe one if Hyatt contributes more.

Rothstein is overestimating Rutgers and underestimating Seton Hall.

Jaden Jones will be a star
I agree we will miss Myles . He was a defensive force but very limited offensively
Cliff O has much more upside but can’t tell how he will improve . Was very raw last year
I think we will be better offensively and worse on D. Should be a better foul shooting team
I think we will be NCAA team
Hall lost Mamu which is a much bigger loss than
Myles or Jacob
I do believe Rhoden will be a star
Aiken is X Factor
At times he looked amazing

Reactions: piratesbball08
Seton has a good team, but, this year Rutgers will be the better team. Harper will score at will, Baker will show briliant point guard play, and Omoroyui will dazzle. This is Rutgers ' year. Again.

• Haha
Reactions: cams555
Seton has a good team, but, this year Rutgers will be the better team. Harper will score at will, Baker will show briliant point guard play, and Omoroyui will dazzle. This is Rutgers ' year. Again.
LOL

Frankly, I will be surprised if RU doesn’t win a National Championship and it may well be undefeated for the season. It is clearly better than the 2018 Nova team. It is perhaps the greatest college team ever.

Am I doing this right?

Reactions: batts
Frankly, I will be surprised if RU doesn’t win a National Championship and it may well be undefeated for the season. It is clearly better than the 2018 Nova team. It is perhaps the greatest college team ever.

Am I doing this right?
Can you imagine what RutgersAl is posting these days? Every year the guy was so delusional that when they were sub .500 he would post pre-season why they would win the conference championship and make the Final Four.

Am I doing this right?

No one said RU is great . They probably will be 9/10 seed . Just feel they are better than SHU
When we beat you at your place , I am sure the excuses will fly . It was the refs , injuries , etc

You do understand that it been quite a while since you have beaten us at our place. Now that RU is slightly above mediocre . The home teams will probably win so good luck in 2022.

I think both coming back gives RU a chance to be good again. I'd say another 10 seed is about their ceiling sneaking into the NIT is their floor. SHU has a lot of unknowns since the roster looks very different from last year. Overall, I think Seton Hall has a higher ceiling than Rutgers but also a lower floor. We'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: setonball46
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT