ADVERTISEMENT

RU scrimmage with fans

Dick's not wrong. Nice gift for the fans. And next week they have a open charity scrimmage vs SJU.

Meantime, Pirate fan's first look at their team will be Nov 4 at the Rock vs St Peter's.

Their fans were able to get a peak at the team they will be supporting all winter. What is this world comin

Dick's not wrong. Nice gift for the fans. And next week they have a open charity scrimmage vs SJU.

Meantime, Pirate fan's first look at their team will be Oct 4 at the Rock vs St Peter's.
Hate to say it but they are 2 great promotional events . I would think there is some type of NIL money being made there outside of the scrimmages. If not they are 2 events where they will try to increase ticket sales .

Meantime, Pirate fan's first look at their team will be Oct 4 at the Rock vs St Peter's.
What’s the point of secret scrimmages anyway? Are they not allowed by the NCAA?

You forgot about our new innovated $250 beefsteak with the women's team !!!!! I'm still a die heart alum and supporter but we do a bad job in trying to increase our fan base .

Reactions: Harty9 and PROF Ed
What’s the point of secret scrimmages anyway? Are they not allowed by the NCAA?
Unless a charity scrimmage has been approved by the NCAA between two D1 teams it must be behind closed doors.

SHU will have two scrimmages vs/at D1 teams but neither will be in front of the fans.

Reactions: HallGuy23
Unless a charity scrimmage has been approved by the NCAA between two D1 teams it must be behind closed doors.

SHU will have two scrimmages vs/at D1 teams but neither will be in front of the fans.
Secret scrimmages also allow staffs to control the narrative. Nothing bad has ever come out of them. I guarantee you only positive things will come out of ours.

Open charity scrimmages in front of fans is far different. Again I don’t get the big secret with this stuff. If a team has a bad scrimmage it’s viewed as just that, and while perhaps something like that would “stick” with a high profile program and be a distraction, it wouldn’t be an issue for us.

The scrimmage was free but the autograph/meet and greet session after had a fee that went towards NIL. Was very well done and something I hope they continue in the future once Ace and Dylan are gone.

I take it you guys suffer from the same nonsense we do from Schiano with the secrecy. It's maddening, especially when you start the season off with cupcakes.

Reactions: Harty9
The scrimmage was free but the autograph/meet and greet session after had a fee that went towards NIL. Was very well done and something I hope they continue in the future once Ace and Dylan are gone.

I take it you guys suffer from the same nonsense we do from Schiano with the secrecy. It's maddening, especially when you start the season off with cupcakes.
There you have it .They will have 2 scrimmages where they will raise NIL money with autograph/meet sessions plus create some buzz to buy tickets . I personally have nothing positive to say about Schiano so all I will say is this is his last shot to win . His resume as a head coach in college is average at best and as a pro coach a failure . Meanwhile at the Hall we are still trying to sell watches .

There you have it .They will have 2 scrimmages where they will raise NIL money with autograph/meet sessions plus create some buzz to buy tickets . I personally have nothing positive to say about Schiano so all I will say is this is his last shot to win . His resume as a head coach in college is average at best and as a pro coach a failure . Meanwhile at the Hall we are still trying to sell watches .
To clarify, the St Johns exhibition in a couple weeks is a charity game, not NIL. All ticket sales are going to the Jimmy V Foundation.

I brought Schiano up because we get less than zero insights into the football program. I guess now that we're winning it's okay, but generally speaking I feel pretty disconnected as a fan.

To clarify, the St Johns exhibition in a couple weeks is a charity game, not NIL. All ticket sales are going to the Jimmy V Foundation.

I brought Schiano up because we get less than zero insights into the football program. I guess now that we're winning it's okay, but generally speaking I feel pretty disconnected as a fan.
I understand it is not NIL but again you still can have autograph signing etc. after the game for NIL they also can promote ticket sales. Hate to say it but ru is doing a good job with NIL and promoting the team. Back at the Hall we are stagnant . Maybe we should go over to the school's busness school ( marketing classes ) and pick the brains of some of the professors there to help us out !!!!!

I understand it is not NIL but again you still can have autograph signing etc. after the game for NIL they also can promote ticket sales. Hate to say it but ru is doing a good job with NIL and promoting the team. Back at the Hall we are stagnant . Maybe we should go over to the school's busness school ( marketing classes ) and pick the brains of some of the professors there to help us out !!!!!
If I had to guess, the issue with us is not the NIL side, but Sha.

IIRC there was an autograph session last year with our team promoted by OS during SHU weekend.

Rutgers is in a little different situation than us this year in that people who come want to see Dylan and Ace at least just as much as they would come to see the team, so while they won’t have trouble selling tickets this year they are in a unique opportunity to generate buzz through these events.

That being said I do not understand why there is not a charity exhibition. Last year’s event at NJIT was great. It’s so important to generate buzz and to reach out and plant those seeds with new fans. I understand the need to protect the team to a certain extent but this is the world that we live in, where engagement with the fans and the general public is essential.

IIRC there was an autograph session last year with our team promoted by OS during SHU weekend.

Rutgers is in a little different situation than us this year in that people who come want to see Dylan and Ace at least just as much as they would come to see the team, so while they won’t have trouble selling tickets this year they are in a unique opportunity to generate buzz through these events.

That being said I do not understand why there is not a charity exhibition. Last year’s event at NJIT was great. It’s so important to generate buzz and to reach out and plant those seeds with new fans. I understand the need to protect the team to a certain extent but this is the world that we live in, where engagement with the fans and the general public is essential.
Was it though? I enjoyed it because I got to see a game at a site we would never play at and we got a sneak peak at the team. However Sha probably wasn’t a fan. Team wasn’t ready and he got a whole bunch of criticism about his players before the season started.

Was it though? I enjoyed it because I got to see a game at a site we would never play at and we got a sneak peak at the team. However Sha probably wasn’t a fan. Team wasn’t ready and he got a whole bunch of criticism about his players before the season started.
The so-so performance got criticized from some of the small universe that populates this message board. That isn't exactly a broad, far-reaching audience. Beyond that, no one else had a clue. It certainly wasn't something the media seized on or would ever seize on.

I really don't get the downside of doing something like this for the fans in an open and public way, and I think "hiding" behind a closed/secret scrimmage where you can then have "x" staff member feed people like Dan what you want and spin a narrative is weak sauce. If a team has a bad preseason scrimmage, who cares? It isn't going to damn the season or anything, and with our program most if not all the local media isn't going to even notice, forget about the average fans or diehards like us who are going to follow and show up regardless. The only one I ever remember going "viral" was when Cuse lost to a D-II or D-III school many moons ago, and I believe the Cuse went on to have an excellent season that year. I would gladly make that trade.

Reactions: Halldan1

That's the thing though. The criticism was coming primarily from terminally online fans taking shots at Sha and the program for the margin of victory. That lasted for maybe a day or less, then it died down. Nobody else ended up caring. I feel like at this point SHU of all programs should give less of a crap what anyone thinks. I'd rather the program do something good for Jerry Walker and do something NIL related after and if the team doesn't play as well as they should who cares?

Reactions: dehere23
If I had to guess, the issue with us is not the NIL side, but Sha.
I think this is pretty spot on. For better or for worse, Sha wants to control every aspect of the program.

There's no reason an open practice needs to be tied to University Weekend but apparently it is. So, because UW is as late as it is this year, and because Sha plays everything close to the vest, we can't have one. For the record, I am ok with not trotting out the team for a dog-and-pony show two days before the season starts.

And, yes, I absolutely believe one reason we are not doing a charity exhibition this year is because the team's performance was criticized after last year's game. The other reason is that last year's dance partner has been upgraded to regular season cannon fodder.

When is Rutgers scrimmage vs St Johns? I would actually enjoy going to that. Something to do to get excited about college hoops coming soon. And two legit teams we have connections to.

What were the details of the RU event in terms of cost and attendance?
Scrimmage was free. Two 12 minute halves.

Fee to go on court after the game for the autograph session was $45 for adults, $15 for kids. They gave you a team poster to get signed.

Attendance was probably 1,500-2,000. The sideline 100s were filled, with a few people in the 200s.

Reactions: CL82 and SHUHitman
Scrimmage was free. Two 12 minute halves.

Fee to go on court after the game for the autograph session was $45 for adults, $15 for kids. They gave you a team poster to get signed.

Attendance was probably 1,500-2,000. The sideline 100s were filled, with a few people in the 200s.
Easy NIL money .

Reactions: CL82
Easy money, maybe. These events might be good for supplementing an otherwise decent NIL fund but you arent going to bank 2-3 million a year by asking the same 1000 people to fork over relatively small amount 20 times a year. Also, who pays the expenses to run event (printed posters, security, other staff needed)? If it comes from the event itself (and it should), a relatively small amount gets even smaller).

Easy money, maybe. These events might be good for supplementing an otherwise decent NIL fund but you arent going to bank 2-3 million a year by asking the same 1000 people to fork over relatively small amount 20 times a year. Also, who pays the expenses to run event (printed posters, security, other staff needed)? If it comes from the event itself (and it should), a relatively small amount gets even smaller).
My point is their reaching out to their average fan base not just to the high rollers and making a few bucks while doing so. It is not like we are rolling in dough and have a large fan base that we do not have to do anything else except the beefsteak which is a good event but draws the same crowd every year .

Maybe the scrimmages but not finding other ways to raise NIL money .
You have to be creative. Right now it's a full on shooting war for NIL cash.

The Husky Ticket Project, which is a legitimate charity that provides tickets to kids, not an NIL collective, is staging an event with Fanta, Andy Katz, and Rothstein.

img_2756-jpeg.103890

Another thing that I've suggested before is take one player, or maybe two, and do a meet and greet at a local restaurant where the restaurant pays the players. That's not game changing money, but it's a way to keep your guys happy, while at the same time, making them more accessible to the fans. Everybody wins.

You have to be creative. Right now it's a full on shooting war for NIL cash.

The Husky Ticket Project, which is a legitimate charity that provides tickets to kids, not an NIL collective, is staging an event with Fanta, Andy Katz, and Rothstein.

img_2756-jpeg.103890

Another thing that I've suggested before is take one player, or maybe two, and do a meet and greet at a local restaurant where the restaurant pays the players. That's not game changing money, but it's a way to keep your guys happy, while at the same time, making them more accessible to the fans. Everybody wins.
Love the idea, but you're not raising $4M on $65/person Bunny's meet and greets.

These events are a lot of fun for the fans but it's beyond delusional to think that these types of events generate what is needed to field a team in today's environment.

Teams are paying these exorbitant salaries off the backs of jumbo donors like Mike Repole, John Tyson, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT