ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers softball players say they were physically, emotionally abused

hbkmyr

All World
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2009
At this point Rutgers should just go to Intramurals and do away with all scholarship programs. Its one screw up after another.

Oh boy Pat Hobbs:

After NJ Advance Media contacted Rutgers Tuesday with questions about the allegations, Hobbs called one of the reporters working on the story and launched into a profanity-laced tirade that ended with him saying “You guys are f------ scum. Why should I help you people?” Hobbs sent the reporter a text message an hour later to “apologize for my words.” He then added, “This narrative around RU being a place where abuse is tolerated is bull----. But it gets clicks.”

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/10/...and-coaching-team-and-school-did-nothing.html

2 sides to every story, but, why shouldn't any independent observer look at this and say "just another day in Rutgers Athletics" given the history.

Seems like the coach had a habit of pushing them a little too hard in conditioning drills but that is about the worst of it.

How can RU say it does due diligence and background checks on all athletic department hiring and not see that she’s a strict disciplinarian and not understand how she runs her program , practices and her physical condition drills.

I’m sure that claims are exaggerated. Pat would never countenance abuse, especially for a non-revenue sport that literally no one cares about.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/30/rutgers-softball-team-a-hotbed-of-physical-abuse-by-coaches-report/

Rutgers softball team a hotbed of physical abuse by coaches: report

By Ben Feuerherd

191030-kristen-butler-rutgers-softball.jpg

Rutgers head softball coach Kristen Butler, right, argues a call with an umpire during a game in February.AP

A college softball coach and her volunteer husband turned the Rutgers University team into an abusive drill camp, forcing players to run sprints until they passed out, among other cruel tactics, a report said Wednesday.

The abuse was handed out by Kristen Butler and her husband Marcus Smith, NJ.com reported in a wide-ranging investigative story about the allegations, citing interviews with former players, parents and a legal notice against the athletic program.

In one practice, the team was forced to run six 100-yard sprints, each in less than 17 seconds, as punishment for exceeding their meal budget by $6 at a Cracker Barrel, according to the report.

Former player Erin Collins told the newspaper she started to feel dizzy while running the sprints, but feared she’d be punished if she spoke up.

Then she passed out.

“I just remember my eyes opening, like, ‘What happened?’” Collins told the newspaper.

Because of abuse similar to this, 10 players left the team within a year of Butler and Smith taking over, NJ.com reported.

Six other players alleged they were abused at practice, including in a drill where they were hit by pitches thrown by an assistant coach.

Five other players said Smith invaded their privacy by collecting their phones and looking at them without their permission, according to the report. He also made a number of inappropriate comments, including telling players the team bus “smelled like period blood.”

Smith, Butler and athletic officials have categorically denied any abuse took place on the team, according to the report.

When contacted by a reporter from the newspaper, athletic director Patrick Hobbs ranted that the news organization is “f–king scum,” the report said.

Sorry but if you are a D1 athlete, running six 100 yard sprints at a 17 second pace shouldn't be very difficult. Too many damn lawyers out there.

Reactions: Bluebeard
I’m sure that claims are exaggerated. Pat would never countenance abuse, especially for a non-revenue sport that literally no one cares about.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. There are multiple players claiming multiple instances of abuse. This isn't a case of one disgruntled person...and the Hobbs response to the reporter is shameful and a classic example of how not to handle a press report. He has taken a bad situation and made it worse and that is simply irresponsible, shameful and stupid.

At this point, instead of Hobbs taking his frustrations out on the media, shouldn’t he publicly say we’re conducting an independent investigation to understand the situation.
That was pretty damning on Hobbs. He should know better about going off on the press like that.

Is running 6 hundred yard sprints really abuse? Most athletes would call that a light work out (I’m not be facetious). It’s been a while since I played organized sports but some of my old coaches would have lawsuits if they coached the snowflakes of today.

That was pretty damning on Hobbs. He should know better about going off on the press like that.
He’s at the worst D1 school in the country and then goes and has a temper tantrum on the media. Exactly how did he see that ending!?

Reactions: HALL85
Sounds like the softball coach and her husband are good friends with Rutgers insane women’s basketball coach. Honestly, the place is a dumpster fire that is in way over their head in Division I. John Wooden and Bear Bryant would have been flipping burgers if they ever worked for Rutgers! The place is a disaster and a career killer!

Surprised how Hobbs handled this with the media. He knows better than that. Not sure what to really make of this story. The fact that it is 7 players that are speaking out has to be very concerning.

There's an applied etiquette in journalism, which is now having it's lines blurred in the pursuit of clicks, that reporters do not put those type quotes in an article.

I thought that as I read what Hobbs said to the reporter. In truth that's probably why he did, not thinking that they would see the light of day. Foolish on his part to take that chance but at least I am offering the probable reason he said what he said.

Trying to verify that I spoke last night to a reporter who has been in the business for over 30 years and he agreed noting that he would NEVER write those comments in a story that he reported, and then adding that he was on the receiving end of those kind of salty words more times than he could count.

There's an applied etiquette in journalism, which is now having it's lines blurred in the pursuit of clicks, that reporters do not put those type quotes in an article.

I thought that as I read what Hobbs said to the reporter. In truth that's probably why he did, not thinking that they would see the light of day. Foolish on his part to take that chance but at least I am offering the probable reason he said what he said.

Trying to verify that I spoke last night to a reporter who has been in the business for over 30 years and he agreed adding that he would NEVER write those comments in a story that he reported, adding that he was on the receiving in of those kind of salty words more times than he could count.
It just gives the media a chance to pile onto the dumpster fire that is Rutgers athletics! Seriously, they need to get out of Division 1.

Another costly investigation - Looks like RU will be looking for a new softball coach, football coach, AD and President! Fun times at along the Raritan River!!

Rumor going around that RU’s big boosters trying to push Hobbs out the door. I guess Hobbs doesn’t want Schiano as football coach and it has alienated them. This softball incident certainly won’t help his cause now.

It all started with naked free throws and has gotten worse from there. RU surprised?

But making them eat at Cracker Barrel...That's horrifying. ;)
Curious comment given the potential gravity of the accusations and

Trying to verify that I spoke last night to a reporter who has been in the business for over 30 years and he agreed adding that he would NEVER write those comments in a story that he reported, adding that he was on the receiving in of those kind of salty words more times than he could count.
You make a fair point on journalistic etiquette. But the truly egregious elements in this situation are the manner in which these players were apparently treated and the outrageous response by Hobbs. The breach of journalistic etiquette pales in response to those two items.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Dead man walking...
I get the same sense. He was at best minimally qualified for the job and it appears to be catching up with him. Of course, the boosters that want him out for shunning Schiano aren't exactly the good guys in the white hats, either. RU athletic department just seems to have problems getting out of its own way.

Curious comment given the potential gravity of the accusations and

You make a fair point on journalistic etiquette. But the truly egregious elements in this situation are the manner in which these players were apparently treated and the outrageous response by Hobbs. The breach of journalistic etiquette pales in response to those two items.
Absolutely agree. But those sentiments did not have to be so graphically profiled.

Click bait and clearly an unhealthy relationship between the two.

Ive heard college softball coach horror stories, from other universities in nj (not shu).

maybe the coach is just an ahole? Rutgers non rev sports are competitive right?

Dan, I agree with what your reporter friend said about getting more clicks with the Hobb’s insults being included. But in fairness to the reporter, he was reaching out to the AD for a statement regarding the accusations.

Reactions: Pirate6711
i'm a rutgers fan and rumor is hobbs may be gone on Saturday and all of this stuff is leaked now because big donors are mad about how he's handled football and schiano (rightly so)..for example, why did this stuff just come out now if it happened in July..Just weird. never a dull moment in RU land..I just hope as a bball fan that if he is let go, we get someone who is on the same page as Pike (Pike loved Hobbs I think)..I would love the temple AD and I think that would make a lot of sense if Patt is let go.

Reactions: shu09
They had to run sprints...What is wrong with these kids.

If Hobbs is let go as looks to be likely RU has to bring in new AD with a reputation as someone who knows how to build programs in men’s basketball and football and deal with the toxic political climate that permeates RU athletics . Any new AD is now additionally burdened by the abuse allegations just surfacing involving the softball team and when added to past abuses in men’s basketball and in swimming any hire has to be squeaky clean.Given the still curious and quick departure by Schiano from the Patriots staff with many doubting his stated reasons I just wonder if that takes him out of the running as a candidate.

I think Hobbs remarks deserve to see the light of day. Its on him imo. The AD cant be fanning the flames, and he needs to show more respect for the media. Even the sl...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate6711
Coaching has changed in the past 25 years or so. Today with trainers and strength coaches on staff, conditioning is well thought out and planned with certain goals in mind.

The sprints described in the article as "conditioning" were nothing more than punitive. While a D1 athlete should be fit for their sport (e.g.: soccer and softball fitness differ), the six 100 yard sprints with all at 17 seconds or under (N.B. no indication of recovery time in between) in virtually no way correlates to the skills or conditioning necessary for softball. They aren't track athletes.

A good coach is a good teacher. He or she connects with their players. The coach spurs intrinsic motivation through good planning and an appeal to competitiveness (something that is usually easy for a D1 coach).

If discipline is necessary, and in the case of a lack of discipline by overspending the meal money, such discipline should be focused on correction, proportional to the infraction and ultimately respectful to the team and its members.

When one hears the SHU players talk about KW, there is a deep respect if not love for him. He undoubtedly disciplines players in matters that never become public. Yet he must do it in a fashion that earns the respect of the team and its members.

As for media's handling of this matter. It is superficial at best. The SL writers are young, inexperienced and driven by the narrow minded culture that is flourishing today in journalism field.

Nevertheless, as a NJ taxpayer, the situation is concerning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT