ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall admissions…

hallfan02

Sophomore
Dec 23, 2006
Question on Seton Hall admissions… Do you know if Seton Hall is actively rejecting / waitlisting students who they don’t think will not attend to lower admission rate? My son is a senior and going through the college application process. He has been going to SHU games with me (alum) and my father in law (also an alum) since he was very little. We are a big Seton Hall family on both sides. I think he wants to leave NJ for college but applied with a little urging from me. I am not going into stats and all that but he is a strong student and got waitlisted. As info he got into Villanova. He was a little miffed and I was too… Only thing he could think was he was honest on the application and said Seton Hall wasn’t his “first choice”.

congrats on him getting into villanova. he should go there.

i can only imagine shu waitlisted him because they dont have space and are giving more diverse backgrounds the first nod. i always thought they accepted any living breathing soul with a wallet.

congrats on him getting into villanova. he should go there.

i can only imagine shu waitlisted him because they dont have space and are giving more diverse backgrounds the first nod. i always thought they accepted any living breathing soul with a wallet.

Diverse meaning well-rounded resume or based on skin color and gender identity?

Question on Seton Hall admissions… Do you know if Seton Hall is actively rejecting / waitlisting students who they don’t think will not attend to lower admission rate? My son is a senior and going through the college application process. He has been going to SHU games with me (alum) and my father in law (also an alum) since he was very little. We are a big Seton Hall family on both sides. I think he wants to leave NJ for college but applied with a little urging from me. I am not going into stats and all that but he is a strong student and got waitlisted. As info he got into Villanova. He was a little miffed and I was too… Only thing he could think was he was honest on the application and said Seton Hall wasn’t his “first choice”.
I think your hypothesis makes a lot of sense. I have no (recent) inside info but the school has seemed to be more interested in its competitive perception lately and an easy/low risk way to lower the acceptance rate as well as the number of accepted students who don't attend is by simply rejecting those who tell you from the start that they aren't really all that interested. I also don't recall that question

When I worked in the admissions office a little over a decade ago it was 95% numbers. If your grades and test scores were over a certain threshold you were in. If they were under a lower threshold you were out. If they were borderline/in between then a counselor would review your essay and other aspects of your application to make a decision. I also don't recall that first choice question existing so it makes sense that it may have been added as a way to filter applicants with a low likelihood of attending even if accepted. All speculation though, I don't know that for sure.

Reactions: Merge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT