SETON HALL (22-12) vs. COLUMBIA (25-6)

** 2022 WOMEN’S NATIONAL INVITATION TOURNAMENT **

NEW YORK, N.Y. – LEVIEN GYMNASIUM – 8:00 p.m. ET

TV:
SNY

Radio: 89.5 FM WSOU or WSOU.net

Live Stats: SHUpirates.com

THE GAME

Seton Hall will continue play in the 2022 Women’s National Invitation Tournament on Monday, March 28 when it travels to Columbia in the Elite Eight. Tip time is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET.

MEDIA

The game will be televised live by SNY with John Fanta and Maren Walseth on the call. As usual, the game will also be available over the airwaves at 89.5 FM WSOU and at wsou.net with Heaven Hill and Jorie Mickens providing the action. Live stats will also be available.

WSOU is now also airing a post-game “Hall Line” show following its women’s basketball games. Be sure to tune in after the final buzzer.

LAST GAME

Down nine points in the fourth quarter, the Pirates completed a furious late rally to upend Drexel, 78-71, in Walsh Gym on Monday and advance to the WNIT Elite Eight.

Seton Hall had a monster fourth quarter, outscoring the Dragons, 31-20, to turn a nine-point deficit into a seven-point victory. The Pirates were 11-for-14 in the fourth quarter overall, 4-for-5 from three-point range and a perfect 5-for-5 from the free-throw line.

Junior Lauren Park-Lane (Wilmington, Del.) and senior Sidney Cooks (Kenosha, Wis.) had double-doubles. Park-Lane erupted for game-highs of 29 points to go with 11 assists and three steals, while Cooks notched 19 points and a team-best 10 rebounds. Andra Espinoza-Hunter (Ossining, N.Y.) and Mya Jackson (Wilmington, Ohio) both added 12 points.

Seton Hall All-Time vs. the Lions: Seton Hall leads, 2-0

Last Meeting:

Seton Hall 83, Columbia 44 (F) – December 4, 1993 (Walsh Gymnasium)

First Meeting:

Seton Hall 54, Columbia 24 (F) – February 4, 1974 (Walsh Gymnasium)

SCOUTING COLUMBIA

Columbia had a historic season to land the Ivy League's automatic qualifying spot to its first WNIT. The Lions won the most games in the 38-year history of the program and had their best Ivy League season in their 36 years since officially joining the conference (1986-87). Along the way, they started the 2021-22 season 5-0 for the first time, started the Ivy League season 7-0 for the first time and earned the No. 2 seed at last weekend's Ivy League Tournament. Columbia throttled third-seeded Yale, 67-38, in the semifinals to advance to the Championship Game, where it fell to top-seeded Princeton, 77-59.

Columbia's Kaitlyn Davis and Abbey Hsu were named to All-Ivy League teams. Davis was a First Team selection, while Hsu garnered Second Team honors.

The Lions enter Monday's contest with a 25-6 overall record and following three victories in the WNIT. Columbia opened the tournament with an 80-69 victory over Holy Cross on March 16 and followed it up with a 62-59 road victory at Old Dominion on March 20. Most recently, they rallied from a 17-point deficit to edge Boston College, 54-51, on Thursday.

Hsu leads the team with 16.4 points per game.

UP NEXT

With a victory over Columbia, Seton Hall will return to action in the Final Four round of the WNIT against the winner of the Elite Eight matchup between Middle Tennessee and Toledo. The game date, time and location are still undetermined.

Very nice. Anyone with a gut feel that this is a NCAA tournament team or not next year?
Being honest they will not be an NCAA Tournament next season unless they have more balance on the roster
and more point contributions from other players. Hope they can advance and win this WNIT this season. Keep building
a winning culture.

Btw, on the Sha bandwagon yet?
Yup as noted on 02/16/22:

"I literally love Sha but not sure he's ready for prime time yet. Wouldn't break my heart if he did get the job though."

Things have only progressed from there.

It's simply amazing what he accomplished in the last week or so, for me ,he deserves a chance at Seton Hall.
If I am wrong , I won't apologize or feel sorry for giving him this chance.
I was so happy when St. Peter's beat Kentucky, I almost started to cry.
Right or wrong ,for me, he is our next head coach.

Yup as noted on 02/16/22:

"I literally love Sha but not sure he's ready for prime time yet. Wouldn't break my heart if he did get the job though."

Things have only progressed from there.
Tepid. But glad it’s getting stronger.

Uh oh. My MT Raiders (hence the MT in my name) might be the matchup if they beat Toledo! MT has a fantastic home court advantage for WBB -- averaging Top 25 in attendance year in and out.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT