ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall @ Rutgers soccer

It is amazing that Rutgers managed to get a short-handed goal. I bet our defense isn't happy about that.

For me the most amusing part of the game was Rutgers' NHL style, empty goal manuever. (They essentially moved the goalie up the field, making him an offensive player.) Seton Hall's Jared Smith, I believe, burned Rutgers for that, scoring a late goal. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It is amazing that Rutgers managed to get a short-handed goal. I bet our defense isn't happy about that.

For me the most amusing part of the game was Rutgers' NHL style, empty goal manuever. (They essentially moved the goalie up the field, making him an offensive player.) Seton Hall's Jared Smith, I believe, burned Rutgers for that, scoring a late goal. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Eh, the Rutgers goal was a gift from a massive SHU blunder. Certainly not something to be happy about, but not something indicative of a wider problem either.

Reactions: catholicman

No. 22 Seton Hall Gives Rutgers the Blues in 3-1 Victory​

resize

Piscataway, N.J. - Three different Seton Hall men's soccer players scored goals, and the No. 22 Pirates made Rutgers pay for incurring a first-half red card in a 3-1 victory over the Scarlet Knights Monday night at Yurcak Field.

Seton Hall is now 5-0-0 to start a season for the first time since 1986, when the Pirates won their first seven decisions en route to a BIG EAST title.

Junior Liam Guske (St. John's, Fla.), senior Tim Strobeck (Hassleholm, Sweden) and graduate student Jared Smith (Longfellow, Mass.) all scored for the Pirates after Rutgers defender Joey Zalinsky was red carded in the 24th minute, forcing the Scarlet Knights to play a man down the remainder of the match.

HOW IT HAPPENED
The Pirates had the better of the play in the early going, but the match shifted dramatically when freshman Til Kauschke (Hamburg, Germany) and Zalinsky were jockeying for the ball near the sideline, and Zalinsky dangerously tackled Kauschke from behind as the ball was headed out of bounds. A foul was called, and then after video review, Zalinsky was shown the red card.

The Pirates began to take advantage and got aggressive on the offensive end. Less than 10 minutes after the red card, the Pirates got creative as junior Virgil Dall'Agnol (Grenoble, France) slipped a pass out to junior Axel Berglund (Turku, Finland), who was just beyond the 18, and he crossed it back in to a waiting Guske, who smacked the ball into the net with his face.

The cross would come into play again in the 41st minute as Kauschke hit graduate student Jack Kossoudji (Columbus, Ohio) with a through ball towards the outside of the box. Kossoudji one-time crossed the ball into the box, and a Rutgers defender headed it to Strobeck's foot, going into the net for a 2-0 lead.

Rutgers made things interesting with a 73rd minute goal off a Pirates mistake, but Seton Hall stayed composed and withstood the Scarlet Knights rally. When Rutgers brought the goalkeeper forward to try to even the playing field, the Pirates grabbed possession, and Smith beat the racing keeper back and scored on an empty net from 25 yards out.

INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
  • Seton Hall outshot Rutgers, 14-7 overall, and 6-2 on goal.
  • Rutgers had five corners to Seton Hall's four.
  • Seton Hall was called for 11 fouls and shown three yellow cards, and Rutgers had six fouls and the all-important one red card.
  • Five Pirates played all 90 minutes.
  • Guske's goal was the first of his career.
NEWS & NOTES
  • This was the first time Seton Hall and Rutgers faced each other since 2009, and it's The Hall's first win over Rutgers since 2007.
  • This was also Seton Hall's first road win at Rutgers since Sept. 15, 2006, and the eighth all-time win in Piscataway.
  • Incredibly, Rutgers has now been issued a red card in the first half of four straight matches.
  • Seton Hall is 5-0-0 for the first time since starting 7-0-0 in 1986, the year the program won its first BIG EAST championship.
  • This is the second straight season that the Pirates triumped over a Big Ten team; they topped Ohio State in 2023.
  • Before tonight, Seton Hall's last true road win over a Big Ten team came Sept. 8, 1995, a 2-1 victory at No. 12 Penn State.
  • With Guske and Strobeck tallying, Seton Hall has now had eight different athletes score a goal in five matches. Plus, Seton Hall has now had eight different athletes earn an assist.
  • When Rutgers scored in the 73rd minute, it snapped Seton Hall's shutout streak at 301:56 minutes.
UP NEXT
Seton Hall has a Saturday night date with Harvard at Owen T. Carroll Field at 6:56 p.m. The match is free to attend for all.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Didnt know we stopped playing RU. Used to go to these games back when I was on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT