ADVERTISEMENT

Sha imbues confidence and toughness

Did anyone notice that the ball barely touched the floor on the offensive side in the first 5 minutes of the last couple of games. Crisp passing solid ball movement, sign the team is firing on all cylinders. That was a trademark of the St. Peter’s team that went to the final 8. Or should I say imbues our coaches style of play. Did any one notice that with the drop off on dribbling to start the game we are also not falling behind. Look for that passing to find cutters for easy baskets. When we start seeing that we will be impossible to beat, especially since our rebounding has also been amazing.
We need to get one more bench player active to save our starters.

We won 4 in a row. If that’s regularity, see 2016, end of 2017, 2019, 2020, the last 3 weeks of the regular season 2022. We’re on a great run but let’s not pretend this is new.
Maybe they are referring to three top 25 wins so close together.

I think 12 wins in conference gets us in tourney we are almost half way there Let’s go.
Long way to go but the BigEast Tournament could be that good. Hall at Butler and. SJU at Creighton were fantastic back to back games. Let’s enjoy this upswing. We the fans have to become an impacting 6th man.

Last edited:
and the team takes after him. after that 3pt foul he pulled the team in and said they are WINNING this game, regardless of what the refs do. got them in a group dap and went out and won the game. this doesnt happen in the past. we let it beat us.

that 3pt foul for posh basically sealed the victory for shu. think about that. look at the plays following it. out toughed a team that was toughing you for a bunch of the game.
Teams tend to take on the personality of their head coach. Holloway was always a scrapper and competitor. It doesn't surprise me that this year's team fits that mold.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Maybe they are referring to three top 25 wins so close together.
We won 3 top 25 games in 10 days. So close to 4 but the Powell shot didn’t go vs Nova in BET finals. Such a good look. I thought for sure it was going in.

2016 team did it as well.

We won 3 top 25 games in 10 days. So close to 4 but the Powell shot didn’t go vs Nova in BET finals. Such a good look. I thought for sure it was going in.

2016 team did it as well.
OK. That answers that one. The end of IW soph year was awesome. Beating prob top 5 XU in Nwk, then X and Nova in the BET after the opener vs CU (I think). Those guys had it going till they had to play a mile high.

Reactions: PirateFan94
OK. That answers that one. The end of IW soph year was awesome. Beating prob top 5 XU in Nwk, then X and Nova in the BET after the opener vs CU (I think). Those guys had it going till they had to play a mile high.
this streak we’re on is great but we’ve been a good program for a while. Sad that people downplay what we’ve done since 2016. I think people missed out on some good times.

Edit:
That Isaiah Whitehead sophomore year you speak of won 3 games vs top 5 teams in 15 days.

Last edited:
this streak we’re on is great but we’ve been a good program for a while. Sad that people downplay what we’ve done since 2016. I think people missed out on some good times.
I agree. The Kentucky game was epic. The back-to-back games against Marquette and Villanova were huge. Many on the board said we had no chance to win those. Myles shooting in the last part of the Marquette game was as good as Hazell against Louisville when the Rock opened. The Saturday Villanova home game was a BigTime College Basketball atmosphere. I believe a large portion of the SHU fanbase does appreciate what happened in the last 8 years.

Some people will always focus on the negative and can’t fully enjoy the good times. It’s been a pretty good run since 2015/16. But still a lot more work to do this year. The games don’t get easier, they only get bigger.

Some people will always focus on the negative and can’t fully enjoy the good times. It’s been a pretty good run since 2015/16. But still a lot more work to do this year. The games don’t get easier, they only get bigger.
Just to clarify, I fully appreciate what we have done in the past 7 to 8 years....believe me, as a fan and season ticket holder for 40+ years....I know the "good times" vs the "bad times".

And yes 2016 and 2020 had their magical moments...no question about it. So maybe citing "since the PJ days" may have been a bit over the top....but not by much.

Let's just keep winning, and make it all about THIS year...!

what does that have to do with anything that was being discussed? Does that make this 4 game run better than the 10 game win streak in 2020?
The grittiness is what’s new. It remains to be seen if this continues but it seems this teams mental toughness is the best we’ve seen since PJ. The recent success we had talent and they either beat you or when faced with adversity they caved. IW year was an exception in BET. This team seems to out tough their opponents at the end of the game which is a a trait Sha seems to imprint on this team.

Kadary was interviewed on This Week In The Big East podcast and he said that they had a team meeting before the Missouri game. Everyone aired out their grievances and they had it out as a team. Everything changed since that point. Everyone has bought in. This has been one hell of a ride. Keep it going!

The grittiness is what’s new. It remains to be seen if this continues but it seems this teams mental toughness is the best we’ve seen since PJ. The recent success we had talent and they either beat you or when faced with adversity they caved. IW year was an exception in BET. This team seems to out tough their opponents at the end of the game which is a a trait Sha seems to imprint on this team.
No mental toughness or grit by Q and Rhoden and Gill going on a 10 game win streak without Mamu and Powell out with a concussion for a few games and reeling off 10 in a row lol. No toughness when Powell had 4 fouls with 8 to go down at Nova.

To make it sound like we’re just winning big games now is ridiculous as we won MANY under Willard and it was a fun run. The debate then was similar to what the Dallas Cowboys are facing right now. McCarthy has them at 36-15 and 12 wins over 3 consecutive regular seasons but is 1-3 in the playoffs. Willard had 6/7 NCAAT teams and 2 BE titles but was just 1-5 in the Tournament (one cancelled). All this talk about taking the next step, myself included. It was a natural topic. I remember when the Yankees did this to Joe Torre, LOL.

Sha and his team have a home stand here where we can really take the next step and stamp ourselves at a different level beyond NCAA contention. Are we for real? Are we legitimately THAT good? We’re going to find it. We’ve put ourselves in position to take the next step. Now let’s see. We have to face a HOF coach and a team on the upswing and another that has OWNED us since Sha took over. Let’s go!

Kadary was interviewed on This Week In The Big East podcast and he said that they had a team meeting before the Missouri game. Everyone aired out their grievances and they had it out as a team. Everything changed since that point. Everyone has bought in. This has been one hell of a ride. Keep it going!

To make it sound like we’re just winning big games now is ridiculous as we won MANY under Willard and it was a fun run. The debate then was similar to what the Dallas Cowboys are facing right now. McCarthy has them at 36-15 and 12 wins over 3 consecutive regular seasons but is 1-3 in the playoffs. Willard had 6/7 NCAAT teams and 2 BE titles but was just 1-5 in the Tournament (one cancelled). All this talk about taking the next step, myself included. It was a natural topic. I remember when the Yankees did this to Joe Torre, LOL.

Sha and his team have a home stand here where we can really take the next step and stamp ourselves at a different level beyond NCAA contention. Are we for real? Are we legitimately THAT good? We’re going to find it. We’ve put ourselves in position to take the next step. Now let’s see. We have to face a HOF coach and a team on the upswing and another that has OWNED us since Sha took over. Let’s go!
I agree. And yes we’re on a nice run right now. If this run is to end are people going to forget this tough, gritty run and only remember this season for the losses? Does this team automatically become less tough if we lose some games? Not in my opinion as long as they keep playing hard. That mentally tough team that overcame the Powell and Mamu injuries are less tough because they got beat bad at Creighton? Curious to see if people turn on this team to being soft with a loss or 2. Hope we don’t lose but it’s inevitable.

Reactions: mbraue
Right 20. Then we choked instead of outright winning regular season championship.
Yeah, of course. So much BS. They lost by 2 to NOVA on a night they shot the lights out in Newark and then lost in a blow out late at Creighton a place we’ve always had a tough time. They closed with @ Marquette, Nova at home, @ Creighton, all ranked (I think), 20+ win teams. The toughest close of any BE team that year. Give it a rest already.

I agree. And yes we’re on a nice run right now. If this run is to end are people going to forget this tough, gritty run and only remember this season for the losses? Does this team automatically become less tough if we lose some games? Not in my opinion as long as they keep playing hard. That mentally tough team that overcame the Powell and Mamu injuries are less tough because they got beat bad at Creighton? Curious to see if people turn on this team to being soft with a loss or 2. Hope we don’t lose but it’s inevitable.
Right, just as Smart stuck with Kolek during his awful recent play. Said he will be the PG as long as he is wearing a Marquette uniform.

Likewise, if we lose tonight or 2 in a row, can't abandon ship. We know St. John's has much more depth and a HOF coach. Let's hope the scout is awesome and the home court helps the guys notch some wins against 3 very good teams over the next week.

Right, just as Smart stuck with Kolek during his awful recent play. Said he will be the PG as long as he is wearing a Marquette uniform.

Likewise, if we lose tonight or 2 in a row, can't abandon ship. We know St. John's has much more depth and a HOF coach. Let's hope the scout is awesome and the home court helps the guys notch some wins against 3 very good teams over the next week.
No reason to abandon ship at all, and if we win tonight, no reason to put down teams of the past to praise this one. This team is good and so were most of our teams the last 8 seasons.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Was this the annual players only meeting? If so, we need a leader who decides to have this thing in October just once.

Yeah, of course. So much BS. They lost by 2 to NOVA on a night they shot the lights out in Newark and then lost in a blow out late at Creighton a place we’ve always had a tough time. They closed with @ Marquette, Nova at home, @ Creighton, all ranked (I think), 20+ win teams. The toughest close of any BE team that year. Give it a rest already.
And that 2019-20 team had just won 3 games in a row before those two.

Boy, would I love another chance to win the BE RS title outright at The Rock this year. That game from 2020 is still a bitter pill to swallow as this program doesn’t get such moments often. I also cannot believe I just typed that considering where we were a month ago, LOL! If we could ever sweep this homestand be sitting there at 15-5, 8-1 with wins against the top teams already, we’d be in position to do that. Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT