ADVERTISEMENT

shaka smart Tournament Woes Do Conference No Favors

I remember when Jay Wright was a tournament “embarrassment”. Now he’s considered a great coach. You know it’s very difficult and takes luck to keep winning in tournaments?

In his first five NCAA Tournament appearances as head coach of Villanova, Jay Wright guided his team to a Final Four, an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens. So, I am not sure what exactly you are getting at. Once he started making NCAA Tournaments with Nova, in his third or fourth year, the results came pretty quick. He did have some early exits, here and there, but they were pretty sparsely scattered among some deep runs. It did take him a while to win his first title, but he was often having strong tournament results. I don’t think the comparison fits. Shaka has a lot of one and done tournament appearances to his name.

So you’re letting him off the hook for not making adjustments when the game plan didn’t work. Got it. I think he’s got the potential to be great for the conference, but his tournament woes are not just sitting there silently.
His team got good shots and missed them at an unprecedented rate. Mq was not good but i dont blame shaka. His team was top ten and sweet 16. Not too embarrassing

Reactions: Turiddu
I agree, the Big 12 does look worse. That said, we really could and should have done better as a conference. UConn may go on to win the tournament, but as of now, given how marginalized we were by the committee and the NCAA, I would say we have definitely not sent as strong a message as would should. The Big 12 can afford to not meet expectations. They’ll still be lauded and get plenty of teams in next time. The media will still tell them and the b1g that they’re the best. I don’t know that the same could be said of our conference.
I think the results show the following with respect to how good the BE really is:

The BE has 1 really great Team: UConn (let's see how far they can go)

The BE has 2 good teams: Creighton and Marq (Both had the advantage of great seeding in the tourney but did not make the elite 8)

The BE has 3 fair teams: SHU, Prov, ST Johns (None made the tourney and Providence failed in the NIT)

The BE has 2 bad teams: Xavier and Butler (both failed in the NIT)

The BE has 2 horrible Teams: DePaul and G-Town ( barely won any games in conference)

I'm not sure this makes the BE the second best conference. More likely further down.

Reactions: shu09
What an embarrassment to our conference. We’re, collectively, trying to show the NCAA and the committee how wrong they were…..and they lay this turd against a double digit seed?

A borderline great regular season coach.

Can’t coach for $#*+ in the postseason.

Keeping it to just post season play, he’s living off one magical run from thirteen years ago. Reminds me of “doc” rivers. This guy has been to exactly as many Sweet Sixteens as Kevin Stallings. Let that sink in. Perhaps it’s a case of too much too early on.

We won’t talk about his abject failure at Texas.

First year at Marquette, they get blown out by thirty points in the 8/9 game against UNC. We crucified Willard for a similar result. Except shaka didn’t already have both feet out the door. Second year, as a two seed, lose to a mediocre MSU team in the second round. The most underwhelming performance from a conference representative in a year the conference otherwise did very well. This year, again as a two seed, barely survive Colorado and get taken to the woodshed by the ACC’s seventh best team - despite said team allowing ample opportunity for their opponent to get back in the game during the second half. Poor show all around.

Yes, he led them to a BET title and won them a regular season championship when they were voted to accomplish nothing. Yes, he is a definite upgrade over Wojo. Total liability to this conference when it comes to the NCAA Tournament.
Marquette stunk vs NC State. Shaka is a very good coach. I don’t share your disdain for him.

Reactions: Turiddu
Marquette stunk vs NC State. Shaka is a very good coach. I don’t share your disdain for him.
On shaka, imho, he is dedicating to his players and he has a standard for his players. In 2011 we saw what can happen when hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard. He went to a top 5 public university and about as committed an athletic program and for whatever reasons the stars did not align there. However he has a likeabilty as look at the top talent that chose going there when they could have gone elsewhere and yield the same result as a 1st round/lottery pick. Going to marquette and replacing wojo was a right place, right time thing. However eventually you need to show results in March. Getting to a regional final is prestigious.

Marquette didn’t play terribly, they just could not hit a 3 to save their lives. Calling Shaka an embarrassment though? I don’t care what seed you are, getting to the sweet 16 is a major accomplishment.

It’s not really disdain. He is a good coach. He is borderline great during the regular season. I would take him during the regular season any time. My gripe is, aside from that fateful run years ago, he is coming up short in the tournament. We didn’t need that this year. This year we needed those three teams to make the most of their inclusion. I can’t fault Creighton too much, but i can’t say the same for Marquette.

I think the results show the following with respect to how good the BE really is:

The BE has 1 really great Team: UConn (let's see how far they can go)

The BE has 2 good teams: Creighton and Marq (Both had the advantage of great seeding in the tourney but did not make the elite 8)

The BE has 3 fair teams: SHU, Prov, ST Johns (None made the tourney and Providence failed in the NIT)

The BE has 2 bad teams: Xavier and Butler (both failed in the NIT)

The BE has 2 horrible Teams: DePaul and G-Town ( barely won any games in conference)

I'm not sure this makes the BE the second best conference. More likely further down.
I think the hall is a step below the
Big 3 and a step above prov and st johns..

Reactions: radecicco
Marquette was never a good rebounding team. Oso and Gold are not physical bigs. So, it’s not who they are to pound the ball inside. Oso usually scores off P&R floaters and push shots in the lane. He only got six shots last night. It’s all about energy and 3s with a tremendous point guard to hold it all together.

They came out seemingly tight as a drum and got tighter with every missed 3. The D was ok, NCSate only scored 67. But Marquette only scoring 58 is hard to imagine.

Marquette was never a good rebounding team. Oso and Gold are not physical bigs. So, it’s not who they anre to pound the ball inside. Oso usually scores off P&R floaters annd push shots. Its all about energy and 3s with a tremendous point guard to hold it all together.

They came out seemingly tight as a drum and got tighter with every missed 3. The D was ok, NCSate only scored 67. But Marquette only scoring 58 is hard to imagine.

We’re, collectively, trying to show the NCAA and the committee how wrong they were…..
The three coaches who got into the tournament all paid lip service to the other schools who did not. Why shouldn't they; it's no skin off their backs. In reality, no fan at UCONN, MU, CU gives a damn about us.

Kenpom was heavily weighting UConn in the metric and thus rated the BE 2 when probably it was overall a 3 and possibly a 4 when you really look at the whole picture which I think the NCAA Selection committee did.

The BE is really having a down year in terms of quality from top to bottom and to think it is a 2 is clearly mistaken. Sometimes metrics lie! Look how they are ruining baseball.

Reactions: shu09
Marquette shot like crap and were just about back into it around the 4 minute mark until a couple NC State dagger 3s.

This thread is what’s an embarrassment. Wake me up when Sha has a 2 year run with a 1st and 2nd place finish in both the BE regular season and tournament and go 3-2 in the big dance.

Marquette was never a good rebounding team. Oso and Gold are not physical bigs. So, it’s not who they are to pound the ball inside. Oso usually scores off P&R floaters and push shots in the lane. He only got six shots last night. It’s all about energy and 3s with a tremendous point guard to hold it all together.

Oso is Charmin soft for a man of his size. Marquette and Creighton are two finesse teams that got exposed by physical teams last night.

Marquette's biggest issue is the over-reliance on the three. There were a handful of games during the season where they were cold from deep like last night, yet never adjusted and kept bombing away.

Mcaffery (sp) at Iowa is considered an excellent coach. Been at it over 30 years, multiple NCAATs, B1G championships. Never been to the 2nd weekend. There are many others like him. And yet the so called experts on this board are knocking a guy who has a FF and S16 on his resume. SMH.

ACC surprised me in the tou
rnament and the Mountain West fell on their face.

I expect the Big10 championship drought to continue.
I wouldn't, not this year at least. Uconn might be the odds-on favorite, but the one team I can see actually beating them this year is Purdue. Purdue has blown out their opponents at a similar rate as Uconn. Zach Edey is a beast. I expect a Uconn vs Purdue final.

I wouldn't, not this year at least. Uconn might be the odds-on favorite, but the one team I can see actually beating them this year is Purdue. Purdue has blown out their opponents at a similar rate as Uconn. Zach Edey is a beast. I expect a Uconn vs Purdue final.
A Purdue vs UConn final would be a dream scenario for most fans and media. We’ll see.

Reactions: Jerry1992
Easy there with Purdue they've played no one. Don't say go Gonzaga as they were way over seeded. More like a 10

Marquette was 4-31 from the perimeter or 12.9%, their season average is 35.6%. Smart had nothing to do with their poor shooting tonight. An average shooting night for Marquette would have yielded 21 more points from the perimeter. When you're off, you're off.
Bingo. Spot on. Joplin was 2-10 and he's usually a pretty good shooter.

And everyone's favorite Golden Eagle, Kam Jones, was 3/12 from 3, missing numerous looks he ordinarily makes. It won't get attention because he isn't on our team, or one of the teams that people focus excessively on here, but that's a 40% three-point shooter who has been on a tear offensively having a bad game. He started making some more plays inside the arc which resulted in him getting 20 on 8/18, but if he knocks down a few of the 3s he normally cans, it's a different ball game entirely.

Easy there with Purdue they've played no one. Don't say go Gonzaga as they were way over seeded. More like a 10
I thought Gonzaga has looked good and the way Purdue beat them IMO was pretty impressive. Edey dominated one half and more importantly his surrounding cast played awesome the other half. And the PG had a helluva game overall.

Tenn will be a good matchup for them so that's a potential great game to watch.

I thought Gonzaga has looked good and the way Purdue beat them IMO was pretty impressive. Edey dominated one half and more importantly his surrounding cast played awesome the other half. And the PG had a helluva game overall.

Tenn will be a good matchup for them so that's a potential great game to watch.
Tenn will be very tough for them
Tenn reminds me of the pirates they way they get at it physically. Just wish we had some of their offensive ability..

I mean he had one of the greatest single postseason runs of all-time with a mid major roster
if you look, VCU had a couple borderline NBA players like Briante Weber, but also had tremendous depth.

Nowadays look at how little benches are used, trusted and actually perform in NCAA Tournament games, and then having the style of havoc was hard for teams to adjust to, it's such a momentum thing, especially on the 2nd game of a weekend.

There have been a few SHU teams that if they ran HAVOC they could've done damage too, say like 2019 SHU!

Before some of those guys became much better offensively, but that team as a group when you look at the size/length on the bench could've been interesting if Willard unleashed them and let them not worry about mistakes and run havoc and simply play on the basis of math of turning over opponent a lot, trusting that your guys shooting and slashing more with pace with greater depth will win at a high % of the time. But instead they were more handcuffed relative to other programs and styles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT