ADVERTISEMENT

shaka smart Tournament Woes Do Conference No Favors

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
What an embarrassment to our conference. We’re, collectively, trying to show the NCAA and the committee how wrong they were…..and they lay this turd against a double digit seed?

A borderline great regular season coach.

Can’t coach for $#*+ in the postseason.

Keeping it to just post season play, he’s living off one magical run from thirteen years ago. Reminds me of “doc” rivers. This guy has been to exactly as many Sweet Sixteens as Kevin Stallings. Let that sink in. Perhaps it’s a case of too much too early on.

We won’t talk about his abject failure at Texas.

First year at Marquette, they get blown out by thirty points in the 8/9 game against UNC. We crucified Willard for a similar result. Except shaka didn’t already have both feet out the door. Second year, as a two seed, lose to a mediocre MSU team in the second round. The most underwhelming performance from a conference representative in a year the conference otherwise did very well. This year, again as a two seed, barely survive Colorado and get taken to the woodshed by the ACC’s seventh best team - despite said team allowing ample opportunity for their opponent to get back in the game during the second half. Poor show all around.

Yes, he led them to a BET title and won them a regular season championship when they were voted to accomplish nothing. Yes, he is a definite upgrade over Wojo. Total liability to this conference when it comes to the NCAA Tournament.

We'd kill to have that kind of postseason record. What have we accomplished since the early 90s. Calm down
Really? I would not kill for us to lose by thirty points in an 8/9 game. I would definitely not kill for us, as a two seed to lose to a seven seed - that was painful enough the time we lost to Western Kentucky. I would most certainly not kill to lose as a two seed to an eleven seed. Nope. Sorry, I wouldn’t sign up for that. Would you? For all his regular season accomplishments, he is terrible in the tournament. He’s being given a pass on being called out because of what he did at VCU. That was over a dozen years ago.

Really? I would not kill for us to lose by thirty points in an 8/9 game. I would definitely not kill for us, as a two seed to lose to a seven seed - that was painful enough the time we lost to Western Kentucky. I would most certainly not kill to lose as a two seed to an eleven seed. Nope. Sorry, I wouldn’t sign up for that. Would you? For all his regular season accomplishments, he is terrible in the tournament. He’s being given a pass on being called out because of what he did at VCU. That was over a dozen years ago.

Do yourself a favor and take the rest of the night offline. Your embarrassing

Reactions: Hall Is Life
Ah the grammar police. Go to bed you unhinged clown.
I’m just saying, for a message board supposedly comprised of college graduates, you not knowing the difference between your and you’re is pretty ironic when you’re telling me I’m embarrassing myself. Since you never had a counter argument to my original point, I’ll consider this conversation done.

What an embarrassment to our conference. We’re, collectively, trying to show the NCAA and the committee how wrong they were…..and they lay this turd against a double digit seed?

A borderline great regular season coach.

Can’t coach for $#*+ in the postseason.

Keeping it to just post season play, he’s living off one magical run from thirteen years ago. Reminds me of “doc” rivers. This guy has been to exactly as many Sweet Sixteens as Kevin Stallings. Let that sink in. Perhaps it’s a case of too much too early on.

We won’t talk about his abject failure at Texas.

First year at Marquette, they get blown out by thirty points in the 8/9 game against UNC. We crucified Willard for a similar result. Except shaka didn’t already have both feet out the door. Second year, as a two seed, lose to a mediocre MSU team in the second round. The most underwhelming performance from a conference representative in a year the conference otherwise did very well. This year, again as a two seed, barely survive Colorado and get taken to the woodshed by the ACC’s seventh best team - despite said team allowing ample opportunity for their opponent to get back in the game during the second half. Poor show all around.

Yes, he led them to a BET title and won them a regular season championship when they were voted to accomplish nothing. Yes, he is a definite upgrade over Wojo. Total liability to this conference when it comes to the NCAA Tournament.
I mean he had one of the greatest single postseason runs of all-time with a mid major roster

I mean he had one of the greatest single postseason runs of all-time with a mid major roster
I’m not taking that from him. It was indeed one of the great tournament runs. There is absolutely no question about it. I was cheering for them. That aside, he’s been nothing but underwhelming in the tournament since then - and it’s not like he’s had a lack of opportunities. Given the high expectations some of his teams go into the tournament with, I thought it warranted being pointed out. Apparently, a lot of people aren’t O.K. with that. The regular season success speaks for itself, but so do the tournament failures. We needed the conference to have a good showing. That game wasn’t it.

Do yourself a favor and delete this post. Sounding off because another coach failed to advance past the S16? But hey…we made the NIT Final Four so Sha isn’t an embarrassment, right? So sad. Get real.

I’m not taking that from him. It was indeed one of the great tournament runs. There is absolutely no question about it. I was cheering for them. That aside, he’s been nothing but underwhelming in the tournament since then - and it’s not like he’s had a lack of opportunities. Given the high expectations some of his teams go into the tournament with, I thought it warranted being pointed out. Apparently, a lot of people aren’t O.K. with that. The regular season success speaks for itself, but so do the tournament failures. We needed the conference to have a good showing. That game wasn’t it.
5-10 record in march madness post 2011...would have been on bubble to make field in covid year at texas

Sean Miller never got home at Arizona, 4 shots in the elite 8

Tommy Lloyd March sadness in his reign so far there....it is hard to win

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Do yourself a favor and delete this post. Sounding off because another coach failed to advance past the S16? But hey…we made the NIT Final Four so Sha isn’t an embarrassment, right? So sad. Get real.
Made it to the S16….and promptly got out coached in a matchup with an 11 seed. Plus, as I’ve already pointed out, this is becoming a trend with him. And no, what Sha did in the 2022 tournament is still recent memory, so not an embarrassment. I’ll tell you what though, if he’s still hanging on to that thirteen years later….then someone probably should call him out.

Look, I get it. Y’all don’t like what I have to say. However, you’re not exactly providing good counter arguments. “Get real”, “go to bed”, “unhinged clown” and “***you’re*** embarrassing yourself” are not exactly good arguments. Those comments just show you don’t like what I have to say. Big Whoop.

Made it to the S16….and promptly got out coached in a matchup with an 11 seed. Plus, as I’ve already pointed out, this is becoming a trend with him. And no, what Sha did in the 2022 tournament is still recent memory, so not an embarrassment. I’ll tell you what though, if he’s still hanging on to that thirteen years later….then someone probably should call him out.

Look, I get it. Y’all don’t like what I have to say. However, you’re not exactly providing good counter arguments. “Get real”, “go to bed”, “unhinged clown” and “***you’re*** embarrassing yourself” are not exactly good arguments. Those comments just show you don’t like what I have to say. Big Whoop.
Everyone here has provided a counterargument. You’re on an island. Going to bed is probably your best move right about now.

5-10 record in march madness post 2011...would have been on bubble to make field in covid year at texas

Sean Miller never got home at Arizona, 4 shots in the elite 8

Tommy Lloyd March sadness in his reign so far there....it is hard to win
Yeah, but he’s been to four Elite Eights. I’m not gonna knock that. I will knock his blatant disregard for rules though. This was just Shaka’s second trip to the round of 16. As I said in the initial post, Kevin Stallings has also made it to the round of 16 twice.

Such as? Also, it’s only 8:26 where I am. You’ll be tucked in long before I head to bed.
Shaka is not the reason his team shot 4/31 from three. He put them in a position to win. They just had one of those nights. Certainly doesn’t make him an embarrassment. Wild and emotional statement. He’s been great for our conference.

Shaka is not the reason his team shot 4/31 from three. He put them in a position to win. They just had one of those nights. Certainly doesn’t make him an embarrassment. Wild and emotional statement. He’s been great for our conference.
So you’re letting him off the hook for not making adjustments when the game plan didn’t work. Got it. I think he’s got the potential to be great for the conference, but his tournament woes are not just sitting there silently.

So you’re letting him off the hook for not making adjustments when the game plan didn’t work. Got it. I think he’s got the potential to be great for the conference, but his tournament woes are not just sitting there silently.
Has his postseason been disappointing? Yes. Has it been embarrassing? Absolutely not.

Has his postseason been disappointing? Yes. Has it been embarrassing? Absolutely not.
If that’s your genuine take then I can’t argue with that. Personally though, I would say the way his last three seasons ended were indeed embarrassing. It’s even worse this time because, as I have already said numerous times, more than any other year, we were looking for a strong showing from our three tournament representatives. I, in all honesty, don’t see Marquette - barely surviving 10 seed Colorado and then getting outdone by 11 seed NCST - as holding up their end. Far from it.

If that’s your genuine take then I can’t argue with that. Personally though, I would say the way his last three seasons ended were indeed embarrassing. It’s even worse this time because, as I have already said numerous times, more than any other year, we were looking for a strong showing from our three tournament representatives. I, in all honesty, don’t see Marquette - barely surviving 10 seed Colorado and then getting outdone by 11 seed NCST - as holding up their end. Far from it.
I only hope we can enjoy as much “embarrassment” as them in the next few years.

Reactions: jmt6762
I only hope we can enjoy as much “embarrassment” as them in the next few years.
No. I already responded to that one earlier. I don’t want to see us get blown out by 30 points like they did in the tournament two years ago. I don’t, as a two seed, want to lose to a seven seed - we already did that against Western Kentucky and I don’t wish a repeat of it. More than just about anything Seton Hall basketball related, I don’t want us to lose to a double digit seed when we’re a two seed. So, no, I can’t agree with you there.

Edit: maybe some people here would sign up for it. That’s fine. I wouldn’t.

No. I already responded to that one earlier. I don’t want to see us get blown out by 30 points like they did in the tournament two years ago. I don’t, as a two seed, want to lose to a seven seed - we already did that against Western Kentucky and I don’t wish a repeat of it. More than just about anything Seton Hall basketball related, I don’t want us to lose to a double digit seed when we’re a two seed. So, no, I can’t agree with you there.

Edit: maybe some people here would sign up for it. That’s fine. I wouldn’t.
Let’s get back to the dance first? Can’t lose by 30 if you don’t get there at all.

Someone had Marquette on the money line tonight…I didn’t know Shaka Smart shot 4-31 from 3 tonight?
Honestly upon first read thought the same thing. Like when Francesa blew up on the Mets live on air for blowing a game. Obviously had a bundle on them that day.

Marquette couldn’t put the ball in the ocean today. Just a brutal shooting performance. Give NC State some credit I guess, but just mind boggling how poorly Marquette’s shooting was.
This was the story. Marquette had no shortage of good looks but the shots just didn’t fall. Frustrating. But I can’t put it on Shaka.

Someone had Marquette on the money line tonight…I didn’t know Shaka Smart shot 4-31 from 3 tonight?
Actually, I never filled out a bracket. I was too bummed out to fill one out after we were unceremoniously left out. I had nothing riding on the game. The conference, however, did. Marquette didn’t come through.

Let’s get back to the dance first? Can’t lose by 30 if you don’t get there at all.
Agreed, but we’ve had a pretty unprecedented run recently, making the tournament five times in eight years. Never did that before. Plus we would have made in 2020 and, for all intents and purposes, we should have made it this season too. The only year we were totally undeserving was 2021. Put in historical context, that’s a great for us. Beggars can’t be choosers. No one was placing high expectations on us, and the one year there were, things were shut down….but until then we were more or less living up to the hype. The same can’t be said of Marquette.

A two seed losing to an eleven in a year where the conference needed to make some real noise in the tournament is not a good look. That’s as real as it gets.

To state the obvious, the Big East had three teams in the tournament, and all three of them made it to the Sweet 16. One of them is now in the Elite 8, one of them lost to a higher seed, and the third had one of its worst three-point shooting nights of its season, and lost to a team that arguably has been the hottest team in the country for the past three (or so) weeks. Disappointing, certainly, but not what I would call a bad look. Do you want to know what a bad look is? Putting eight teams in the tournament - including a 1, 2, 3, and 4 seed - and not having a SINGLE one of those eight teams make it past the Sweet 16. That’s the Big 12.

Marquette was 4-31 from the perimeter or 12.9%, their season average is 35.6%. Smart had nothing to do with their poor shooting tonight. An average shooting night for Marquette would have yielded 21 more points from the perimeter. When you're off, you're off.

To state the obvious, the Big East had three teams in the tournament, and all three of them made it to the Sweet 16. One of them is now in the Elite 8, one of them lost to a higher seed, and the third had one of its worst three-point shooting nights of its season, and lost to a team that arguably has been the hottest team in the country for the past three (or so) weeks. Disappointing, certainly, but not what I would call a bad look. Do you want to know what a bad look is? Putting eight teams in the tournament - including a 1, 2, 3, and 4 seed - and not having a SINGLE one of those eight teams make it past the Sweet 16. That’s the Big 12.
I agree, the Big 12 does look worse. That said, we really could and should have done better as a conference. UConn may go on to win the tournament, but as of now, given how marginalized we were by the committee and the NCAA, I would say we have definitely not sent as strong a message as would should. The Big 12 can afford to not meet expectations. They’ll still be lauded and get plenty of teams in next time. The media will still tell them and the b1g that they’re the best. I don’t know that the same could be said of our conference.

Marquette was 4-31 from the perimeter or 12.9%, their season average is 35.6%. Smart had nothing to do with their poor shooting tonight. An average shooting night for Marquette would have yielded 21 more points from the perimeter. When you're off, you're off.
He wasn’t taking the shots for them, but it could certainly be said he didn’t have his team well prepared for the game. I didn’t see any adjustments when it became clear they were in a real fight. My impression was Marquette prided itself on defensive deflections and run outs. Didn’t see much of that. Not nearly enough pressing. No adjustments to NCST’s style. A lot of that is on the coach. Yeah, he couldn’t will their shots to go in, but it’s more than fair to say it was a very bad performance all the way around, not just the shooters. I mean, what about that front court? Putrid. He didn’t have them prepared to play their best.

Edit: on top of that, as I’ve been saying all along, this isn’t like a one time thing with him. It’s becoming a trend where they are either getting upset or playing really bad in the tournament. Also, they barely survived Colorado. This team was a two seed that wasn’t ready for the biggest stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT