ADVERTISEMENT

SHU PG Goat

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Who would you choose in the Big East era?

Theodore
Harvey
Holloway
Barrett
Greene
Calandrillo
Someone else?

C'mon that's a copeout. :eek::eek::eek:

Gotta chose just one.

I'll start and I say this with a lot of thought because like you this could have gone with a lot of different ways.

I'll go with Danny Calandrillo.

I wasn't sure about listing him as a PG. He didn't play that position much as a frosh and was really a 2G handling the ball his second year. Plus if I added him then the question would have been moot. o_Oo_Oo_O

FWIW he'll be listed in tomorrows question re 2Gs.

Where's the old timers?

Shocked that Calandrillo is not getting any love. He was a Third Team All-American and a Big East Player of the Year at the Hall.

Barrett is certainly a high quality choice but I must disagree about Hurley. My opinion is that he doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Sha, Barrett, DC, etc.

To me, it's Shaheen Holloway. The best distributor I ever saw, and who could also score. He played with a lot of untalented teammates who cost him countless assists.

(I should say that I never saw Calandrillo play, so I can't fairly compare him to the others, as great as I know he was.)

I was in school during the Calandrilo years & to be honest with you, I thought Galis &Tynes were just as good. No way Hurley deserves to be on this list. I'll go with Sha.

Andre Barrett would be my choice, They were all great. But in terms of who was the best all around pure PG he tops my list.

I was in school during the Calandrilo years & to be honest with you, I thought Galis &Tynes were just as good. No way Hurley deserves to be on this list. I'll go with Sha.
Danny never played with Tynes who was one of our all time leading scorers. And Galis was a 2G to Calandrillo's PG the one year they played together.

Tynes never played in the Big East but Galis did in the league's first year of existence so he will be listed tomorrow as a 2G.

Danny never played with Tynes who was one of our all time leading scorers. And Galis was a 2G to Calandrillo's PG the one year they played together.

Tynes never played in the Big East but Galis did in the league's first year of existence so he will be listed tomorrow as a 2G.

I saw most of the games they all played. Tynes was pure silk, Galis a pro and Callandrillo a warrior. since it's only Big East, Callandrillo, Sha, Dre. Hurley was also better than most people want to acknowledge.

Callandrillo fits best as a 2 guard or lead guard. He was a prolific scorer.

But my money goes to Sha. If he had a better supporting cast around him he could have broken NCAA assist records. He was that good. And watching him run the point at a number of SHU practices in the last seven years a number of our PGs could not stay with him even though he is their senior by quite a bit. He would blow by our guards in practice at will.

During his career he was always so cool under pressure too. He seemed to relish the big moment.

Barrett would be my second choice. Lightning quick and also very cool under pressure. Had one of the best freshman years I've ever seen from a PG and he played a ton of minutes.

Barrett is certainly a high quality choice but I must disagree about Hurley. My opinion is that he doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Sha, Barrett, DC, etc.
He isn't in their class, but was certainly better than Eugene.

DC was the guy you wanted with the ball in the last minute. But for sheer PG abilities Dre and Sha were right from PG central casting. And Gerald was the shut down defender no one wanted on them at the end of the game It's like picking a favorite child!
There is no wrong answer picking any of the four.

Hard to pick between Sha & A.B. Sha didn't have the best supporting class....So I give Sha the edge.

My List

1) Holloway - played with substandard talent for most of his time here. Yet has 20 assists more than Dre and played less games due to various injuries.
2) Barrett- played with better talent than Holloway but was a better and more consistent outside shooter than Holloway. Very close.

3) Jordan Theodore Improved every year. As a senior 6.6 assists and 16 its a game.
4) Eugene Harvey Fantastic Freshman year 4.2 assists and 16.6 its per game. However, he never improved.
5) Olliver Taylor - Underrated and steady PG
6) Brian Caver- May have been the most talented PG ever at SH. Shot horribly from 3pt except his last year.
6) Gerald Green - Great pg but only started last two years and did not have the best stats.
7) Donald Copeland - One great year. He which would rank higher if only based on the best year of career. 4.5 assists and 16 pts his senior year.

Hard to quantify Whitehead since he only played one year at the pg position. But, it was one hell of a year. But based upon that one year, I would put him #3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merge
Copland an
Underrated player who had one hell of a senior year

Danny does not belong on the list

Although pre-Big East, Paul Lape was one of the best, pure point guards I ever saw in college. Truly incredible.

Although pre-Big East, Paul Lape was one of the best, pure point guards I ever saw in college. Truly incredible.
He was incredible. Not sure what you call it but the time he reversed the behind the back pass for an assist was unlike anything I'd ever seen before or after.

Callandrillo - a no brainier. Could do it all, including blocking a shot of BC's 6'9" Jay "I bet on the Spread" Murphy, or hitting a shot from the corner while falling out of bounds to beat Princeton toned the game ;coming from 20+ down I might add). Would be a tougher choice if Greek's Mr. Basketball was included.

Ed Note - vote would be different if 4 years in BE was the criteria. That would regrettably eliminate DC.

Reactions: garyshu71
I wasn't sure about listing him as a PG. He didn't play that position much as a frosh and was really a 2G handling the ball his second year. Plus if I added him then the question would have been moot. o_Oo_Oo_O

FWIW he'll be listed in tomorrows question re 2Gs.
Gotcha, well then hes 2nd to hazell :)

I think I would vote Sha but I would ha e loved to see what Harvey could have done with different personnel, he showed glimpses of being better than the worst of the group unfortunately he didn't have much to work with.

Dan was a Big East MVP when Ewing was in the league. He could do everything but his shooting separates him from the others and don't forget his D and the steals. An amazing player stuck on a very bad team.

Callandrillo - a no brainier. Could do it all, including blocking a shot of BC's 6'9" Jay "I bet on the Spread" Murphy, or hitting a shot from the corner while falling out of bounds to beat Princeton toned the game ;coming from 20+ down I might add). Would be a tougher choice if Greek's Mr. Basketball was included.

Ed Note - vote would be different if 4 years in BE was the criteria. That would regrettably eliminate DC.
DC best scorer hands down among that group. If the question was, which of these players do want to have the ball with the game on the Line? The answer is DC again. That's really all that matters.

Sha. But for heart in crunch time Danny C.

He was a big hit at Long Branch alumni lunch on April 28.

The stories of him and Raf were priceless.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT