ADVERTISEMENT

SHU, the favorite

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
I'm editing the question

Can any of us remember when SHU was favored in every home game they played? Off the top of my head I can't.

That's certainly a possibility this season if they stay healthy.

Today's question. Will the Hall be favored in every home game this year? This will include the UA game at the Garden and both NIT games at Barclays.

The NIT will include Virginia, Vanderbilt and Rhode Island.

The game at the Garden will be against Temple.

Can the unthinkable become reality? What say you?

I'll start.

All things being equal the only team I can see coming into the Hall's home and being favored this year is Nova. But I say that with a caveat. When the game is played is important. If Nova, like the Hall had to do last season is coming off a long road trip that might tip the betting scales.

Also, the hot team could influence the odds makers as well.

Disregarding all that and with both teams healthy I would say Nova will be a 1 1/2 point favorite playing Seton Hall in front of a possible sellout crowd.

I can't see any other team coming to NJ/NY and being the favorite.

I'll start.

All things being equal the only team I can see coming into the Hall's home and being favored this year is Nova. But I say that with a caveat. When the game is played is important. If Nova, like the Hall had to do last season is coming off a long road trip that might tip the betting scales.

Also, the hot team could influence the odds makers as well.

Disregarding all that and with both teams healthy I would say Nova will be a 1 1/2 point favorite playing Seton Hall in front of a possible sellout.

I can't see any other team coming to NJ and being the favorite.

As of today I think Nova would be favored over us at the Rock, but a few big wins or a few bad losses by us or the other teams we are playing will obviously swing the line different ways. Also as you mention, a lot has to do when you play the team.

This is a poor question.

The non-conf schedule has improved tremendously, but we still don't play anyone at home.

Nova & X seem to be top 15-20 teams. Butler & Prov should be solid. It's not like we are favored in all our games against this mighty schedule. It's still a weak HOME schedule.

We should be favored in every game with the exception of Nova (depending on when we play them)

Poor question? I don't think so.

The point I wanted to make is that it's been a very long time since we have been able to even think about this question without a ton of laughter following.

The league is tough, although Butler losing their coach and now best recruit will obviously hurt them. Xavier and Nova will be ranked ahead of us and Providence will be close behind.

This is possibly the first year in the history of the Big East where our being favorites in every game is a possibility (maybe Dehere's senior season was another). It's not because of a weak schedule it's because we are that good.

Look at the glass as half full, not half empty.

Reactions: Irishwakeup

The point I wanted to make is that it's been a very long time since we have been able to even think about this question without a ton of laughter following.

The league is tough, although Butler losing their coach and now best recruit will obviously hurt them. Xavier and Nova will be ranked ahead of us and Providence will be close behind.

This is possibly the first year in the history of the Big East where our being favorites in every game is a possibility (maybe Dehere's senior season was another). It's not because of a weak schedule it's because we are that good.

How many times were we underdogs last season at home? Cannot think it was more than 2 or 3? So may be slightly improved this year.

Let me change the question above as I will edit it to include the NIT games (semi home court) as well as the UA game at the Garden (also a semi home court).

Reactions: PiratePride
Edit

That's a good question for another day. I'll ask tomorrow.

Don't want to hijack this thread.

Yes, I agree, 2-3 points. Sumner being out also cost them points. With both healthy they would have been at least a couple of point favorites. maybe more.

Yes, I agree, 2-3 points. Sumner being out also cost them points. With both healthy they would have been at least a couple of point favorites. maybe more.

Yeah, with both healthy I'd say X by 2 or 3 points in that game. But that's what happens over the course of a season.

Nova's going to be interesting. They will get and absolutely deserve the benefit of the doubt but SHU's roster is right up there with theirs.

The game at the Rock, especially after getting destroyed last season is going to be one the Pirates will circle on their calendars.

This is a poor question.

The non-conf schedule has improved tremendously, but we still don't play anyone at home.

Nova & X seem to be top 15-20 teams. Butler & Prov should be solid. It's not like we are favored in all our games against this mighty schedule. It's still a weak HOME schedule.

We should be favored in every game with the exception of Nova (depending on when we play them)
Poor post/poster.

Since you are playing RU at the RAC, it is certainly possible. Before SHUISNJREALTEAM has a heart attack, I am only kidding.

The question is fine, it's a message board, a place to discuss topics.

As of now only Nova but I can easily see Xavier and Butler slightly favored depending on how we are doing. I would also expect a lot of lines that are real tight against Marq/Creighton even SJU, just the nature of league play.

Throughout recent years Seton Hall has had some dissapointing losses and there have been excuses as to why Seton Hall lost those games, some more valid than others. Such as getting screwed over in the NCAA tournament two years ago with Gonzaga.

But this team has no such excuses to be made. Barring injuries this team has to drop the freaking hammer! No losing games to teams like Rutgers on the road at the RAC,

I don't care if it is a 'rivalry game' when you have a group of seniors like the Hall does and they know the importance of these games with it being their senior season you win every game you are expected to win.

With that being said I agree with what was said above, the only team that will be favorites in beating the Pirates at home IMO is Villanova. I don't want to say sweet 16 or bust, but this team should definitely make the sweet 16. Go Pirates!

Throughout recent years Seton Hall has had some dissapointing losses and there have been excuses as to why Seton Hall lost those games, some more valid than others. Such as getting screwed over in the NCAA tournament two years ago with Gonzaga. But this team has no such excuses to be made. Barring injuries this team has to drop the freaking hammer! No losing games to teams like Rutgers on the road at the RAC, I don't care if it is a 'rivalry game' when you have a group of seniors like the Hall does and they know the importance of these games with it being their senior season you win every game you are expected to win. With that being said I agree with what was said above, the only team that will be favorites in beating the Pirates at home IMO is Villanova. I don't want to say sweet 16 or bust, but this team should definitely make the sweet 16. Go Pirates!

I expect a lot from the Hall as well but this is the same team that was 10-8 in the BE, struggled early in BE comp and lost in their first round of the NCAA's. I am not dismissing a successful year but I ask myself how does that translate to a Sweet 16/Final 8 team this year ?

I am the most positive guy you will meet in terms of SHU hoops but it's a question I am asking myself to avoid a massive let down.

I think the answer is Angel.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Also a very nice class coming in, but I never expect a HUGE difference unless your talking about top 25 guys, I expect depth from our class.

I expect a lot from the Hall as well but this is the same team that was 10-8 in the BE, struggled early in BE comp and lost in their first round of the NCAA's. I am not dismissing a successful year but I ask myself how does that translate to a Sweet 16/Final 8 team this year ?

I am the most positive guy you will meet in terms of SHU hoops but it's a question I am asking myself to avoid a massive let down.

I think the answer is Angel.
The answer is also finally having a season with a low turnover rate and high free throw percentage.

The returning players will improve with another year experience. Especially Powell and Nzei. Plus three solid recruits. This team will be better than last year. Top 20 team with the current roster.

The returning players will improve with another year experience. Especially Powell and Nzei. Plus three solid recruits. This team will be better than last year. Top 20 team with the current roster.
We all know Desi is important, but I think he is flying under the radar as a player who can really break out.

Reactions: radecicco
Coming out of how much improvement happens over the summer will determine what we see on the court in the fall and through the season. These guys have to have phenomenal work efforts to meet and beat expectations at this point and it's all in the numbers.
68%+ FT% for the team with the core over 70%
Half the A:T ratio of last year.
Deeno at the 1
Desi playing takeover ball using both 3pt and average into the 20pt range
Points per minutes off of the bench
Lockdown D with lowest Off % against

We do these things we win the league, the BET and go deep in the tournament.

We don't everybody is too good this year to hold off every possible upset.

To me the biggest improvement has to be our depth. With basically a 7-man roster and Ish out or hobbled all year, the Big 3 were pushed extremely hard and it manifested itself in many ways all season.

We now have a legit 9, maybe 10-man rotation that should allow our coach to confidently play the starters less minutes so they always have fresh legs late in games and late in the season. When have we ever had a 2nd unit that consists of 4 definite top-150 recruits and a 4th year Junior who started several games last yr.

The other area of improvement is overall offense. KC isn't an ideal PG but we will always have at least 3 capable 3-pt shooters on the floor which wasn't the case with Jones playing 30 mins per game. Add in the fact that our 3 freshman are all legit scorers/shooters and the constant double-teams on Angel and KC should reduce.

Lastly, Walker could be the X-factor. He's the first true, dynamic PG we've had in years and he could provide a big lift of energy on offense even if only for 10-15 minutes per game.

This team has the highest expectations for any Seton Hall team in recent memory and those expections are not unrealistic. This team , if it gets on a roll , could draw a lot of national attention and the key to getting on that roll ,IMO , is how well we do in our OOC schedule and if we win every game that's winnable for us. If we have or exceed the year we all think is possible it should aid our recruiting and accerlate the upward trend we're on. This is the position every coach who takes over a long struggling program wants to be in and we should all look forward to this season with high optimism and really support this team. They deserve it and have earned it .

We all know the finite details needed to improve on our record so I will not be redundant.

The key to me is getting off to a good start in conference. The last 2 years we finished the regular season

2016 9-2
2017 7-2

Add in a 4-1 mark in the conference tournament

Imagine if we didn't struggle in Jan and early Feb

We all know the finite details needed to improve on our record so I will not be redundant.

The key to me is getting off to a good start in conference. The last 2 years we finished the regular season

2016 9-2
2017 7-2

Add in a 4-1 mark in the conference tournament

Imagine if we didn't struggle in Jan and early Feb

With a much improved OOC schedule against better teams and if we're successful against those teams it should help propel us into a better start to our Conference schedule .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT