ADVERTISEMENT

SHU vs Maryland - Scrimmage

I was told not everyone played. No idea who sat or if that’s even accurate.

53 points is a little concerning given the biggest question coming into this season is how is this team going to score?

Part of me says ehhh it’s a scrimmage don’t put too much thought into it. But the other part of me says the offense might be as poor as expected.

Would have to see the flow and box score but

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

Reactions: Merge
I don’t think we will have a go to guy this year. It will be a death by a 1,000 cuts type of thing. We will have eight guys scoring about 6-10 points on any given night.

Reactions: Piratz
How would anyone know if there's a go to guy or not? All just guesses and opinions.
I for one think there are a few that can be that guy. Let's see how it unfolds.

Reactions: Seton75
How would anyone know if there's a go to guy or not? All just guesses and opinions.

Who’s going to be our go-to guy on offense? Do they even know? I hope Wusu doesn’t think it’s him
Hearing Wusu is playing well and Sha spoke highly of him and Coleman as the 2 he sent to BE Media Day.

That said, Jenkins scored 25 vs Quinnipiac and apparently 15 vs Maryland, was the leading scorer in both games per several posters.

With a roster like this, guys are going to need to trust the system and each other. But the reality is when you have to make a shot with five seconds ago on the clock or in key stretches, you have to lean on a couple of guys. Have to be able to create space and get a good percentage shot. No idea who they will be, but there are a lot of guards or wings that could potentially fill that role. Jenkins, Harmon and Dual seem most likely.

I was told not everyone played. No idea who sat or if that’s even accurate.

53 points is a little concerning given the biggest question coming into this season is how is this team going to score?

Part of me says ehhh it’s a scrimmage don’t put too much thought into it. But the other part of me says the offense might be as poor as expected.
Manny didn’t play and most likely Gus.

With all the new guys on the roster and the talent in the league, it could be well into January before the team and coach click.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
With all the new guys on the roster and the talent in the league, it could be well into January before the team and coach click.
That's my biggest concern with this team, especially in the way that would result in another lackluster nonconference record. I am pretty confident they are going to look quite good by the time Big East play begins in earnest.

The scrimmage itself doesn't do anything for me. I never put any stock in them, and I'd say the same thing if that score in this thread were reversed. They're all just working on things. Back in the leather-helmet days, my DePaul football team scrimmaged Paterson Kennedy at the old Hinchliffe Stadium and we beat them pretty decisively. I felt pretty good about it, as Kennedy had a guy who would be a good NFL player for about ten years in Devon McDonald. In the regular season, we went 1-8 and Kennedy finished 11-0 and as Group IV state champs, playing out of the old NNJIL, which was the best league in New Jersey back then. Taught me the value of divining futures based on scrimmages.

That's my biggest concern with this team, especially in the way that would result in another lackluster nonconference record. I am pretty confident they are going to look quite good by the time Big East play begins in earnest.

The scrimmage itself doesn't do anything for me. I never put any stock in them, and I'd say the same thing if that score in this thread were reversed. They're all just working on things. Back in the leather-helmet days, my DePaul football team scrimmaged Paterson Kennedy at the old Hinchliffe Stadium and we beat them pretty decisively. I felt pretty good about it, as Kennedy had a guy who would be a good NFL player for about ten years in Devon McDonald. In the regular season, we went 1-8 and Kennedy finished 11-0 and as Group IV state champs, playing out of the old NNJIL, which was the best league in New Jersey back then. Taught me the value of divining futures based on scrimmages.
By the way DePaul is very good this year and was undefeated and ranked 2nd until they were upset last week .

Reactions: SHUSource
Part of me says ehhh it’s a scrimmage don’t put too much thought into it. But the other part of me says the offense might be as poor as expected
Stick with the first part. These secret scrimmages are closer to practices than to games in many ways. Coaches can stop play to explain things. Often, coaches are trying out different combos to see where there is chemistry and what works.

That said, as a fan, 53 points would be concerning.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
That said, as a fan, 53 points would be concerning.
53 points is just concerning because lack of offense was such a known concern going into the season. It kind of validates what we all feared could be the reality.

But having said that - you are correct. It's a scrimmage and the results need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think the 75 points is more concerning. I think to win games we're going to have to keep teams in the mid to lower 60s and as much as we need continuity to improve offensively, it's not like Maryland has been together for 3 years.

By the way DePaul is very good this year and was undefeated and ranked 2nd until they were upset last week .
I saw that - a come-from-ahead loss to Delbarton (who, to be fair, is also very good). A real bummer, though. I don't think I've seen them play a game in person in ten years, though!

At least Hinchliffe was beautifully renovated!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I saw that - a come-from-ahead loss to Delbarton (who, to be fair, is also very good). A real bummer, though. I don't think I've seen them play a game in person in ten years, though!

At least Hinchliffe was beautifully renovated!
If you get a chance to go they did a great job. Also the Passaic Falls is also worth the the trip !!

Reactions: SHUSource
Just so tough to gage until we have eyeballs on a live game and especially against a quality opponent that can expose the issues of the team. The other schools may extend our offensive perimeter unless we provide some inside threat or threats. We will know soon enough. Can’t wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT