ADVERTISEMENT

St. John’s continues makeover with Rutgers transfer Montez Mathis

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

Methodically, Mike Anderson has rebuilt his roster transfer by transfer. He’s lost significant players, but arguably replaced them with upgrades at each spot.

That trend continued Saturday afternoon.

Rutgers transfer Montez Mathis gave his commitment to Anderson and Co., picking the Johnnies over Clemson.

The 6-foot-4 Mathis was a four-star, top-100 recruit coming out of high school. He’s similar to recently departed guard Greg Williams Jr. in that he is extremely talented, but has yet to break out as a difference-maker at the college level.

A Baltimore native, Mathis is an elite athlete who can play on the wing and should fit the Red Storm’s uptempo style well. This past year, he averaged and 8.3 points and 2.8 rebounds, helping Rutgers reach its first NCAA Tournament in 30 years. Pairing Mathis with co-Big East Defensive Player of the Year Posh Alexander in the backcourt would give St. John’s a formidable defensive guard duo.

The one drawback is Mathis is not a knockdown jump shooter, hitting on just 29.7 percent from 3-point range last year and 55.6 percent at the free throw line. He did play in Rutgers’ slow-paced style, which may have been a detriment to his skillset that is best utilized in the open court. He has two years left of eligibility.

Mathis joins Joel Soriano (Fordham), Stef Smith (Vermont) and Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) as recent additions after Williams, Rasheem Dunn (Robert Morris), Marcellus Earlington (San Diego), Vince Cole, Isaih Moore, Josh Roberts and John McGriff all departed.

The addition of Mathis leaves St. John’s with two open scholarships. The focus is landing another guard, preferably someone able to spell Alexander at the point.

Surprised ru losing players. Mathis is pretty good.
He was relegated to the bench down the stretch. Still solid rotation player and now RU doesn't haven't a lot of experienced wing depth going into next season

Reactions: TomD82
Candidly I don't know much about Mathis. I know he had some really good games this year.

From the article though, it seems that he is tailor-made for Anderson's system.

Reactions: Hallsome
Credit again to Anderson. Cool, collected and responding well after the initial exodus. Rock solid x and o guy but can bring in some players too.

Reactions: Seton75
Said this on another thread on how to view teams with all this movement. Look where the guys leaving end up, where the guys coming in were from, and who was after them.

Based on Zach’s article, the kids that left SJU all went to mid-majors so far. And I expect the others that left to go that route too. They were useful players no doubt, but this is why Anderson got COY and so much credit within the league.

The guys coming in are all from either high majors or mid-majors that other high major programs were pursuing. So I think he’s made out pretty good so far and if Champagne returns I think they will be good next year. With potentially more to go.

There is one significant player that declared already for the draft but is expected to return, and possibly could enter the portal, that I would bet Rutgers or St John’s would have a great shot at. We would too if our backcourt wasn’t so crowded already. No “inside info” or anything like that but based on something I heard Braziller reference and connecting some dots.

Surprised ru losing players. Mathis is pretty good.
He’s a much better fit for Anderson than for wha Pikiell likes to do. Good move for him. He‘ll do well there and might even find himself under a little star’s spotlight — the kind that doesn’t necessarily find you when you’re at a football school in a Midwestern conference.

Said this on another thread on how to view teams with all this movement. Look where the guys leaving end up, where the guys coming in were from, and who was after them.

Based on Zach’s article, the kids that left SJU all went to mid-majors so far. And I expect the others that left to go that route too. They were useful players no doubt, but this is why Anderson got COY and so much credit within the league.

The guys coming in are all from either high majors or mid-majors that other high major programs were pursuing. So I think he’s made out pretty good so far and if Champagne returns I think they will be good next year. With potentially more to go.

There is one significant player that declared already for the draft but is expected to return, and possibly could enter the portal, that I would bet Rutgers or St John’s would have a great shot at. We would too if our backcourt wasn’t so crowded already. No “inside info” or anything like that but based on something I heard Braziller reference and connecting some dots.
I don't see Jose Alvarado being involved with RU if that is who Zach is referring to....

I don't see Jose Alvarado being involved with RU if that is who Zach is referring to....
I think that’s who Braziller is referencing although wondered if others thought he was speculating on another player.

If Alvarado enters the portal every team in the country will be on him. So competition will be steep. RU recruited Alvarado pretty heavily the first time around, I believe. They seem to have minutes available in the backcourt. It would give him a chance to be somewhat close to home.

Looks like Anderson has embraced that time honored approach that your team is getting better when the players you’re bringing in are better then the players that are leaving and he looks to have done that In replacing the players that have transferred out of SJU.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
He’s a much better fit for Anderson than for wha Pikiell likes to do. Good move for him. He‘ll do well there and might even find himself under a little star’s spotlight — the kind that doesn’t necessarily find you when you’re at a football school in a Midwestern conference.

Unlike Depaul , Creighton.Xavier and Marquette
They aren’t in Northeast last I looked
Big Ten is Big Time
We are a football and basketball school
RAC is one of best home courts in the country
You will find out again when you get crushed again assuming you don’t back out

Surprised that a player like Rasheem Dunn would go to Robert Morris.
He’s better than Shavar, but I think it was that type of scenario. He will get 30+ minutes there with the ball in his hands. Perhaps improve overseas opportunities while getting a grad degree. He was pretty good in our league but a flawed player that I think Anderson maximized.

Unlike Depaul , Creighton. and Marquette
They aren’t in Northeast last I looked
Big Ten is Big Time
We are a football and basketball school
RAC is one of best home courts in the country
You will find out again when you get crushed again assuming you don’t back out
You guys take the bait too often. You are in a good place with Pike.

Schiano btw seems to be killing it as well

Reactions: SHUMA04
He’s better than Shavar, but I think it was that type of scenario. He will get 30+ minutes there with the ball in his hands. Perhaps improve overseas opportunities while getting a grad degree. He was pretty good in our league but a flawed player that I think Anderson maximized.

Good point(s). I was unimpressed with Dunn until Posh went down, and then really thought he stepped up. I wonder if Shavar's stats will improve much at Monmouth, though. I thought Eron Gordon would fare better at Valparaiso than he did.

You guys take the bait too often. You are in a good place with Pike.

Schiano btw seems to be killing it as well
No one should take hbr1103 seriously. He’s either talking a large amount of crap or heaping loads of unwarranted praise about seton hall. In one post he’ll say seton hall should be a 7 seed and the next will be about how Rutgers would beat us by 50.

I think that’s who Braziller is referencing although wondered if others thought he was speculating on another player.

If Alvarado enters the portal every team in the country will be on him. So competition will be steep. RU recruited Alvarado pretty heavily the first time around, I believe. They seem to have minutes available in the backcourt. It would give him a chance to be somewhat close to home.
Alvarado would have to express interest in RU for RU to recruit him, we have 6 to 7 guards already on the roster (since RU essentially runs a 3 guard lineup), assuming Baker returns. Adding another 1 year rental, isn't ideal for the roster.

Geo Baker, Paul Mulcahy
Jaden Jones, Jalen Miller
Ron Harper Jr, Caleb McConnell

RU is interested in top JUCO CG, Josh Baker out of Arizona and a couple of others as well. There are specifics regarding Alvarado that I am pretty certain about that led him to GT and why I don't anticipate RU getting involved here if he hits the portal.....I don't see that changing and a player at Alvarado's talent level, will already have lined up his destination, before he hits the portal.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Alvarado would have to express interest in RU for RU to recruit him, we have 6 to 7 guards already on the roster (since RU essentially runs a 3 guard lineup), assuming Baker returns. Adding another 1 year rental, isn't ideal for the roster.

Geo Baker, Paul Mulcahy
Jaden Jones, Jalen Miller
Ron Harper Jr, Caleb McConnell

RU is interested in top JUCO CG, Josh Baker out of Arizona and a couple of others as well. There are specifics regarding Alvarado that I am pretty certain about that led him to GT and why I don't anticipate RU getting involved here if he hits the portal.....I don't see that changing and a player at Alvarado's talent level, will already have lined up his destination, before he hits the portal.
I hear you, but Baker seems to be a wildcard, and several kids you have listed above are more 3's or 4's (in Harper's case) . Alvarado is better than anyone on that list as a PG or combo guard. So my assumption was you guys would be all over him if that rumor had legs. But sounds like you don't think it is a possibility.

Good point(s). I was unimpressed with Dunn until Posh went down, and then really thought he stepped up. I wonder if Shavar's stats will improve much at Monmouth, though. I thought Eron Gordon would fare better at Valparaiso than he did.
I’d be surprised if they did not improve at Monmouth. No sense on what will be around Shavar, but in addition to being able to knock down open shots I think it will be much easier to create for him at that level.

No one should take hbr1103 seriously. He’s either talking a large amount of crap or heaping loads of unwarranted praise about seton hall. In one post he’ll say seton hall should be a 7 seed and the next will be about how Rutgers would beat us by 50.

I make intelligent comments . Giving an honest favorable opinion on Seton Hall is not inconsistent with saying RU would win big at RAC. It is comments like we are a non factor playing in a Midwest Conference which is ridiculous . For example , UCONN would leave the Big East in a second if they could get in Big 10 . We are coming off of what would have been our 2nd straight NCAA tournament appearance ,have one of best practice facilities in country and are currently ranked in top 10 for 2022 football recruiting . None of that happens without Big 10 Mwmbership. Seton Hall has great basketball tradition but the Big 10 is the premier academic and athletic conference in the nation .

16-12, 11-9 (barely) in your “breakout“ year. Yeah, some breakout. Now you’ve lost three key guys for sure, your best defensive center, your best guard and your 6th man. I think both Baker and RHJ come back. They had better return but Pike is in a tough spot until they make their decision.

16-12, 11-9 (barely) in your “breakout“ year. Yeah, some breakout. Now you’ve lost three key guys for sure, your best defensive center, your best guard and your 6th man. I think both Baker and RHJ come back. They had better return but Pike is in a tough spot until they make their decision.

I never said we were elite
Back to back NCAA Tournaments
We are challenged offensively but play great D
You point out who we lost
We have a top 50 center to start , a top 100 wing in Jaden Jones , Paul Mulcahy, Celeb McConnell and hopefully Geo and Ron . We are recruiting elite talent in Portal but who knows who we land .
College Bball has big turnover . With Pikiell at helm , he will get most out of talent .
You guys have a star in Rhoden but little else proven .

and close to 50% of those wins came against NW, MN and Indiana. You have to wonder if Buddy B played in the Cuse game, Robbins in the MN game and if Mich State wasn't coming off a 3 week layoff due to Covid if the record would have been the same

I never said we were elite
Back to back NCAA Tournaments
We are challenged offensively but play great D
You point out who we lost
We have a top 50 center to start , a top 100 wing in Jaden Jones , Paul Mulcahy, Celeb McConnell and hopefully Geo and Ron . We are recruiting elite talent in Portal but who knows who we land .
College Bball has big turnover . With Pikiell at helm , he will get most out of talent .
You guys have a star in Rhoden but little else proven .
You’re a troll. You don’t post on the RU board or your main account is banned here.

This is a community. Just go away already.

Last edited:
I make intelligent comments . Giving an honest favorable opinion on Seton Hall is not inconsistent with saying RU would win big at RAC. It is comments like we are a non factor playing in a Midwest Conference which is ridiculous . For example , UCONN would leave the Big East in a second if they could get in Big 10 . We are coming off of what would have been our 2nd straight NCAA tournament appearance ,have one of best practice facilities in country and are currently ranked in top 10 for 2022 football recruiting . None of that happens without Big 10 Mwmbership. Seton Hall has great basketball tradition but the Big 10 is the premier academic and athletic conference in the nation .
Your NCAA tourney appearance this year was the first in 30 years - that is remarkably woeful.

Well then there you go. St John's doesn't play in the half court. :)

I don’t know what the RU board is saying because I never go there. I spoke to some friends who follow RU who think he is a much better fit for what Anderson does because of Mathis defensive prowess and ability in transition (compared to a slower pace, half court structure).

Reactions: Hallsome
I don’t know what the RU board is saying because I never go there. I spoke to some friends who follow RU who think he is a much better fit for what Anderson does because of Mathis defensive prowess and ability in transition (compared to a slower pace, half court structure).
Thanks for insight
Is that other guard/forward back? Sorry forget his name; braided hair

Caleb McConnell? Yes I believe he is and I don’t think he is going anywhere (or I haven’t seen that). He’s a pretty solid player too.

They do but not very well. Sounds as if he fits right in. :)
Exactly. They led the conference in scoring last year but it is all predicated on pace, transition and turnovers. When you watched them they struggled in the half court except for Champagne who is a great shooter and find ways to get his shot because of his size/length. With no post player that could do anything in the half court, the whole objective was to slow them down and make the kids besides Champagne beat you (or hope he had an off game, like against us in the BE tourney). You can tell some of the moves they made in the off-season was to improve the half court element because they can’t always speed the other team up and get it going consistently at a fast pace.

Exactly. They led the conference in scoring last year but it is all predicated on pace, transition and turnovers. When you watched them they struggled in the half court except for Champagne who is a great shooter and find ways to get his shot because of his size/length. With no post player that could do anything in the half court, the whole objective was to slow them down and make the kids besides Champagne beat you (or hope he had an off game, like against us in the BE tourney). You can tell some of the moves they made in the off-season was to improve the half court element because they can’t always speed the other team up and get it going consistently at a fast pace.

Scoring is often predicated on pace. Teams like Wisconsin and Virginia often play half court oriented games and have very efficient offenses. Thus they often score in the 50's and 60's.

Other teams like Gonzaga prefer a faster tempo and with enough player on the floor to knock down shots can easily post 85 or more points a game.

One of the things I thought was impressive about UCLA's Final Four game against Gonzaga is the Bruins, a half-court oriented team, were dragged into a fast-paced game by Gonzaga and were able to hang with them until the final second.

Reactions: dehere23
Myles Johnson to UCLA. Rutgers appears to have lost quite a bit this off season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT