ADVERTISEMENT

St. John’s new star guard tandem already ‘feed off each other’

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

Kadary Richmond and Deivon Smith are used to dominating the ball, running the show for their respective teams.

That will change for them next season at St. John’s — and the two lead guards are OK with that.

They think playing with another point guard — each other — will make it easier for one another.

Kadary Richmond talks to the media during a Name, Image & Likeness event with Red Storm fans at the Applebee’s in Queens.

Kadary Richmond talks to the media during a Name, Image & Likeness event with Red Storm fans at the Applebee’s in Queens.Corey Sipkin for the New York Post

“I feel like we feed off each other,” Smith said on Wednesday, at a Name, Image & Likeness event with Red Storm fans at Applebee’s in Queens. “We’ve been playing pretty good in practice. To play with another guard like that, another athlete, is going to show different aspects of my game.”

Added Richmond: “Just knowing that there’s somebody else [like myself] that the defense will have to worry about in terms of passing, scoring, doing other things, [will help me].”

The two fifth-year transfers, ranked among the top guards to enter the transfer portal, verbally committed to St. John’s in the span of 24 hours in early May — the two biggest additions coach Rick Pitino made this spring.

Over the last month, they have been getting to know one another during summer workouts.

Richmond and Smith are very different players.

The 6-foot Smith, a Decatur, Ga. native, is a blur of a guard, a speedster who is a one-man fastbreak.

He set a Pac-12 single-season record last year for Utah with five triple-doubles.

The 6-foot-6 Richmond, an All-Big East first team selection for Seton Hall last season, plays at a more methodical pace.

He can post up and has a strong mid-range game.

They both excel at getting into the lane and creating for their teammates, as their combined 12.2 assists per game a year ago would suggest.

“I feel like it’s very versatile. They can play the one or the two,” teammate RJ Luis said. “They’re very good passers, high IQ passers. They get everybody involved. They like to share the ball and get others going. … I’m very excited to play with them two, just the style of play, how fast they get up and down the court, their ability to move the ball.”

The one question when it comes to the pairing is perimeter shooting.

Richmond and Smith aren’t known as shooters — neither has averaged more than 2.5 3-point attempts in their four-year college careers, although Smith did shoot 40.8 percent from distance last year.

Richmond briefly considered making the move to the NBA after last season was up, but he received feedback that he had to improve his 3-point shot.

Pitino’s history of player development was a major factor in his decision to transfer to St. John’s.

With less playmaking responsibilities, he will have more opportunities to showcase that facet of his game.

“Being able to get more attempts off catch-and-shoots and stuff like that, and really being able to show the work I’ve been putting in on my jump shot,” Richmond, a Brooklyn native, said.

One area of focus is quickening his release and not hesitating. His favorite quality in Smith is his relentless motor.

“He just never stops on both ends of the court, keeps going, gets after it,” Richmond said. “He’s very aggressive.”

Referring to Richmond, Smith raved about his new teammate’s strength for a guard, patience in the paint and selflessness.

St. John’s expects to pick up the pace next season, led by Smith and Richmond. Rising sophomore Simeon Wilcher, who Pitino has raved about, will have a key role as well.

He already has noticed a difference in the speed in which the Johnnies can play at.

“We’re a lot faster than we were last year, the tempo of our offense is going to be a lot faster,” Wilcher said. “We have a whole bunch of freak athletes and people that can get up and down the floor.

“It’s going to be hard for people to stop this year. I feel like we can do really big things.”

Silent treatment..... what K Richmond should get when he comes back to the Rock. No boos, no shouts....... ignore him with deafening silence. We should all turn our backs to the court when he is announced before the game and when he shoots foul shots and not utter a sound.

Maybe the students could organize something like that.

Probably every BE guard combo in the BE will have a lot of the same comments so nothing exciting or noteworthy in this article. Just BS. When Kadary is shut down because his back is acting up then we have something to really talk about.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
No way is Rick going to allow Kadary to get catch and shoot opportunities. And Kadary is a moron for believing that in the first place.

Kadary is petrified to shoot half the time he is open from deep anyway.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Silent treatment..... what K Richmond should get when he comes back to the Rock. No boos, no shouts....... ignore him with deafening silence. We should all turn our backs to the court when he is announced before the game and when he shoots foul shots and not utter a sound.

Maybe the students could organize something like that.
no, this is weird and makes it seem like the fanbase has been thinking to much about him (which they have). just boo and curse at him like he's any other villain

We'll see how it works out, but I don't think it's irrational to be skeptical about two ball-dominant guards in the same backcourt is bound to disappoint fans' high expectations. Deivon Smith and that guy who used to play here are both very good with the ball in their hands. Without it? I know the latter wasn't nearly as effective, and I understand the same thing about Smith.

Reactions: Piratz
no, this is weird and makes it seem like the fanbase has been thinking to much about him (which they have). just boo and curse at him like he's any other villain

Actually no. A guy like Kadary thrives off of emotion. If he feels like the world is against him, he's going to perform. If you boo, he's going to perform so he can shut you up. He plays best with a chip on his shoulder.

I feel like the message gets felt deeper if you simply ignore him altogether. They announce his name, let it be silent enough to hear a pin drop. Whenever he touches the ball, make it so he can hear his sneakers squeak.

Why acknowledge his existence? Why give him energy that he can feed off of?

Reactions: PJVegas
I don’t think anyone knows what makes Kadary thrive. That’s what was always so frustrating about him.

What I do know is that he always seemed perfectly happy to be deferential and play a supporting role, despite being best player on the floor. He sat back and let Dawes chuck with reckless abandon. He let Rhoden and Aiken be the face of the team. I wonder if he will just blend in at St. John’s.

I don’t think anyone knows what makes Kadary thrive. That’s what was always so frustrating about him.

What I do know is that he always seemed perfectly happy to be deferential and play a supporting role, despite being best player on the floor. He sat back and let Dawes chuck with reckless abandon. He let Rhoden and Aiken be the face of the team. I wonder if he will just blend in at St. John’s.

We can agree to disagree, but what isn't up for debate is that he's a NY kid. I'm saying it now and I hope people remember it....the worse we boo that kid come game time, the more he is going to make us regret it. That's just in the DNA of any high-level kid coming out of the city. Waking Kadary up will be a mistake.

I think that's exactly what he's going to do. He is playing for his professional career this year, for a guy who not only has that background at the highest level but is highly connected and respected for his basketball acumen all over the world. When you get a really talented kid to play like a "glue guy", it's a boon.

Now some of what Sha struggled with on the practice-front is going to no doubt be an issue to for Pitino if it arises. We will see.

Actually no. A guy like Kadary thrives off of emotion. If he feels like the world is against him, he's going to perform. If you boo, he's going to perform so he can shut you up. He plays best with a chip on his shoulder.

I feel like the message gets felt deeper if you simply ignore him altogether. They announce his name, let it be silent enough to hear a pin drop. Whenever he touches the ball, make it so he can hear his sneakers squeak.

Why acknowledge his existence? Why give him energy that he can feed off of?
Yeah this is exactly the type of weird stuff I’m talking about. No

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I think that's exactly what he's going to do. He is playing for his professional career this year, for a guy who not only has that background at the highest level but is highly connected and respected for his basketball acumen all over the world. When you get a really talented kid to play like a "glue guy", it's a boon.

Now some of what Sha struggled with on the practice-front is going to no doubt be an issue to for Pitino if it arises. We will see.
Isn’t Kadary sitting out summer practices to help rehab his back issues? If so, then there appears to be some give and take in the summer at least.

I’ve always found SJU insufferable. Now we have a new spice added to it. Game on!

Pack it in, makes these two shoot around long defenders like The Hall has this year.

Yeah this is exactly the type of weird stuff I’m talking about. No
What's weird about it? He isn't worth my time, so I'm not gonna give it to him. People would be wise to do the same. I find it weird that grown men are going to spend all game relentlessly booing a college student because he wanted to take a seven figure paycheck.

What's weird about it? He isn't worth my time, so I'm not gonna give it to him. People would be wise to do the same. I find it weird that grown men are going to spend all game relentlessly booing a college student because he wanted to take a seven figure paycheck.
It’s weird because people boo and yell naturally at sporting events. Silence at a sporting event takes carefully thought out coordination and it makes you seem like a cringey psycho who is obsessed with an ex player which is exactly what the case would be

It’s weird because people boo and yell naturally at sporting events. Silence at a sporting event takes carefully thought out coordination and it makes you seem like a cringey psycho who is obsessed with an ex player which is exactly what the case would be
What the case is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT